Adding FLAC files to my iPod (30 GB "classic")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yeti1069
    • Sep 2017

Adding FLAC files to my iPod (30 GB "classic")

Hi all,

I used to use Winamp to manage my iPod, but after a couple of computer changes, I went to add some songs, and was getting an error message: "Some of these tracks were of an incompatible format and will not be transferred."

Would appreciate some help getting this figured out!

I tried searching online, but most of the info is for older versions of Winamp. I tried downloading an updated Essentials, but that didn't work. Transcoding is checked "On".
  • musicf8
    Major Dude
    • Apr 2013

What format were you transcoding to? Were the FLAC files stereo? Can you post info on one of the songs that's giving you trouble?
    Current Setup: Windows 10 Pro, Sound Blaster Z, Logitech Z-5500, Winamp v5.666.3516

Get wacup

Comment

• yeti1069
      • Sep 2017

.flac file
      Length: 234 seconds
      Channels: 2
      Bits per sample: 16
      Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
      File Size: 28408404 bytes
      Average bitrate: 967 kbps
      Compression Ratio: 68%

Presumably it's transcoding to mp3 (whatever an iPod uses)?

Comment

• yeti1069
        • Sep 2017

Update:

I added a bunch of other songs, hit Sync, and managed to remove all of the music from the iPod...and now Winamp ML isn't recognizing it when it's plugged in...

Comment

• musicf8
          Major Dude
          • Apr 2013

well hm, you might have to reboot your computer and your ipod to see if it will detect it again. Does your computer at least recognize it?
          Current Setup: Windows 10 Pro, Sound Blaster Z, Logitech Z-5500, Winamp v5.666.3516

Get wacup

Comment

• arturo1000
            • Jun 2014

I like flac format to listen music, sometime synchronizing with other program, this songs don´t work in ipod, because the software copy the music without trascode. So I do it before, I use other program to trascode to alac and then pass in synchronization and now it can be played.

Comment

• MrSinatra
              Forum King
              • Dec 2004

i used to use mp3, and FLAC. now i use mp3, and ALAC (in a m4a container).

u can transcode to ALAC with winamp, see the link:

What is Winamp? Why is Winamp? How is Winamp? All these burning questions and issues discussed within.
              Last edited by MrSinatra; 14 September 2017, 04:52.
              PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
              --
              BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
              Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
              Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Comment

• musicf8
                Major Dude
                • Apr 2013

Winamp shouldn't have an issue with transcoding from flac though, that's why I think there's another issue. Especially now that he can't access the ipod via winamp.

I do know that I have issues transcoding if the flac file is multi-channel, and if he's transcoding to mp3 then he will have issues with anything higher than 48khz. There's also other issues that can jump up, like if he's trying to transcode a mpeg2 Layer 3 or some other format (I also had issues with wma).

So more detail is needed to figure out the issue.

Personally speaking though, it never made sense to me to have lossless on a ipod (by just uploading the ALAC) given that the DAC on there isn't really that good, and you have limited space, but to each is their own.

Get wacup

Comment

• MrSinatra
                  Forum King
                  • Dec 2004

if it were me, i would mirror my lossless with a 2nd permanent mp3 clone library of em, and use something else to manage the ipod, not winamp.
                  --

Comment

• musicf8
                    Major Dude
                    • Apr 2013

Which is why i'm still on 5.63 w/ ml_ipod, because I haven't found any better tool to sync my 120gb classic. Honestly I have been waiting for my ipod to die to upgrade to 5.666, but the damn thing wont die haha.

On another note though I have been playing around with a portable musicbee, and it's been working great to sync my music with my flash drives. I thought about using it for my ipod but it doesn't have the options that ml_ipod has.

Get wacup

Comment

• MrSinatra
                      Forum King
                      • Dec 2004

can u not manually port the dll ml_ipod file/plugin from 5.63 to 5.666?
                      --

Comment

• musicf8
                        Major Dude
                        • Apr 2013

nah, something changed in 5.65+ where syncing with the ipod causes it to crash, even if i'm just syncing play counts or rates (and i've tried everything I could think of). 5.64 has a lot of issues so that's why I stuck with 5.63.

Get wacup

Comment

Working...
                        X