How about open donations for winamp development?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bartman1
    • Nov 2005

How about open donations for winamp development?

Maybe I'm impatient but I think donations would be something good so development speed of the new winamp can be improved. I know that I and a lot of other people would do at least small donations and maybe that's good for everyone.
  • DJ-Garybaldy
    Forum King
    • Sep 2003

Donations? Don't make me laugh ...

Radionomy who own Winamp now have pots and pots of money already...

RadioDJ - Winamp - SAMBC

Comment

• osmosis
      Major Dude
      • Jan 2006

If anyone deserves donations it's DrO; definitely not Radionomy who have all-but abandoned Winamp.

Your updated classic media player experience.
      Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.

Comment

• Victhor
        Late skinner & Moderator
        • May 2003

Originally Posted by osmosis View Post
        If anyone deserves donations it's DrO; definitely not Radionomy who have all-but abandoned Winamp.

http://getwacup.com/
        Completely true.

Nobody should think for a minute that supporting a multinational / company (with employees, lawyers, marketing department, etc) is better than supporting ONE GUY doing it all out of love for the original material..
        · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• bartman1
          • Nov 2005

Wow, I had no idea things were like that, I honestly thought the people developing the new winamp was a small team struggling with finding free time to contribute to winamp with no payment, fk radionomy then I'll start looking into other player alternatives, I really didn't know winamp was gone

Comment

• osmosis
            Major Dude
            • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by bartman1 View Post
            Wow, I had no idea things were like that, I honestly thought the people developing the new winamp was a small team struggling with finding free time to contribute to winamp with no payment, fk radionomy then I'll start looking into other player alternatives, I really didn't know winamp was gone
            Dude. It's not. Follow my link. DrO IS a one-man "small team struggling with finding free time to contribute to Winamp with no payment" so he is absolutely deserving of your support.. but yes, "fk radionomy" ..
            Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.

Comment

• Topcoloringpages
              • Sep 2017

But maybe there is a chance that Radionomy will sell Winamp to someone else.
              If they abandoned Winamp then it is quite possible in my opinion.
              Crowd funding project for that purpose might be not such a bad idea.

Comment

• cusid1981
                • Dec 2017

Sounds good!

Comment

• Tergulath
                  • Oct 2008

Looking back it was probably best if winamp was open sourced to the community.

Comment

• musicf8
                    Major Dude
                    • Apr 2013

Originally Posted by Tergulath View Post
                    Looking back it was probably best if winamp was open sourced to the community.
                    you've posted the same thing over many different threads for the past 3 years, give it up. Winamp won't be open sourced, and even if it was, that doesn't guarantee any more development.
                    Current Setup: Windows 10 Pro, Sound Blaster Z, Logitech Z-5500, Winamp v5.666.3516

Get wacup

Comment

• Foobedoo
                      • Jan 2018

Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
                      you've posted the same thing over many different threads for the past 3 years, give it up. Winamp won't be open sourced, and even if it was, that doesn't guarantee any more development.
                      Winamp hasn't had a new release in over four years. No offence, but keeping it closed source isn't exactly getting anything done.

Open source would allow folks like myself to contribute to it, and actually get things done. We could have had a new release by now!

But by all means, keep defending what is the most absolutely glacial release schedule I've ever seen.

(And spare me the "it's only one guy working on it" tripe - this is *exactly* why keeping the code proprietary at this point isn't helping anyone.)

I would personally contribute to a collection, if it meant that someone could buy the IP and put it in the hands of capable people, so that development could resume and we might see a new version before I die.

Comment

• musicf8
                        Major Dude
                        • Apr 2013

Originally Posted by Foobedoo View Post
                        Winamp hasn't had a new release in over four years. No offence, but keeping it closed source isn't exactly getting anything done.

Open source would allow folks like myself to contribute to it, and actually get things done. We could have had a new release by now!

But by all means, keep defending what is the most absolutely glacial release schedule I've ever seen.

(And spare me the "it's only one guy working on it" tripe - this is *exactly* why keeping the code proprietary at this point isn't helping anyone.)

I would personally contribute to a collection, if it meant that someone could buy the IP and put it in the hands of capable people, so that development could resume and we might see a new version before I die.
                        I am not defending anything, I am speaking only the truth about things.

You want to contribute? Write plug-ins, or fix plug-ins to make them work with 5.666, get in contact with DrO to see if you can support WACUP (eaither by coding or by contributing $ as I am), doing something is better then coming on this board and wishing for it to become open source even though radionomy couldn't give a flying f what any of us think or say on these boards.
                        Current Setup: Windows 10 Pro, Sound Blaster Z, Logitech Z-5500, Winamp v5.666.3516

Get wacup

Comment

Working...
                        X