View Single Post
Old 13th May 2011, 22:10   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
The search syntax is there as it shows the true roots of this program. It's not silly and looks fairly standard to me. Unlike the limited GUI based programs like iTunes, the guts of Winamp are there for people to customise it to exactly suit their needs.
i didn't mean search syntax is itself silly, i just find it silly for winamp users to be expected to learn it and use it to be able to search a universal (and useful!) field like "comments." i do LOTS of multiple searches on a 50k library. i want it to "just work," not make me work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
I'd whack your idea into the wishlist as it is not really a bug, but an extension of a feature. True, it shouldn't be too complex, but it would still eat up a lot of valuable programming time for the devs.

(Though I'd leave your import suggestion out as I think that adds a little too much complication for the potential gain. Especially for the pluggins that expect data in certain fields)
yeah, like i said to start it might not be a bug in the true sense of the word, but i def do think its bad behavior.

its still an open question, everything appears to be imported, but what actually is searched?

appears to be:
filepath
genre
artist
albumartist
title
album
composer

appears not to be:
year
comment

shouldn't:
disc #
track #

unknown:
publisher
category
director
producer

any others?

my main question is how and why was it determined that "comments" shouldn't be, while genre and filepath should be? seems arbitrary and inconsistent.

i agree with you, the devs have more pressing things to do, as per my sig. but i did want to document this. (and its pretty relevant, since smart view creation is currently broken)

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote