• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A-tone
    • Sep 2012

Station Not Listed In ShoutCast Directory

Greetings All

I'm new to the forum but I have a question that I figured could be answered fairly quickly here. My radio station, Classic Hip Hop Radio, has been broadcasting fine without error for a long time. I was with Comcast but got fed up with their service, so I switched to Clear 4G for now. The problem is that, even though everything is appears to be online and I can listen to the station via a direct link, the station no longer appears in the ShoutCast Directory. Nothing has changed other than I switched routers and changed the IP address. My station info is as follows:

Server Status: Server is currently up and public (YP connected)
    Stream Status: Stream is up at 128 kbps with 1 of 32 listeners (1 unique)
    Listener Peak: 13
    Average Listen Time: 17 hours 41 minutes 56 seconds
    Stream Name: Classic Hip Hop Radio
    Content Type: audio/mpeg
    Stream Genre: Old School
    Stream URL: http://www.classichiphopllc.com/1973.html
    Current Song: Mantronix - Megamix (1985)
    Next Song: Eazy E - We Want Eazy (1988)
    Source: 192.168.15.71
    Listen Link: http://192.168.15.71:8000/listen.pls?sid=1

As you can see, the station is YPconnected and ShoutCast is pulling the metadata without problem. But, I can no longer find the station in ShoutCast's station directory. Any suggestions?
  • voodoohippie
    • Jun 2009

192.198.15.61 sounds like the output of your router so I assume your running your own Shoutcast server from your own home? That would be why as you need to port forward and use your own IP address (I don't recommend this) for several reasons:

1. You open yourself wide open to DOS attacks and other nastiness when you reveal your own IP to the public this is why you use a dedicated Shoutcast host. Need a cheap one look at my signature.

Not to mention many ISP's don't want residential accounts running their own SERVER and they will terminate your internet connection if they find your running one. Time Warner faught with me for months over the fact that I run a Radio Station. I kept trying to tell them that I don't RUN my own server but broadcast to a Shoutcast server elsewhere. I was even threatened but when I called and gave them an ear full and told them they better learn the difference between broadcasting to a server and running one before you accuse anyone of running a server they backed off. Just be careful.
    Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
    http://nextkast.com

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com

Comment

• A-tone
      • Sep 2012

Thanks for the concern. I'm ok with the risk. Just looking for a cause for the station no longer being listed in the ShoutCast Directory.

Comment

• voodoohippie
        • Jun 2009

OK well in your firewall make sure the port your using is forwarded. In this case I think it was 8000. Then you should start to see your station listed. You may have to read your routers manual and see how you'd go about this or buy a router that is P2P and gaming friendly. Read p2p sites for the p2p friendly routers also work good for Internet Radio. TorrentFreak, Slyck, Zeropaid, and other pro p2p sites are a good place to search for p2p friendly routers. or do a google search like this: "router"+"p2p" or "router"+"p2p friendly"

Once you find a good router then try again. Some routers I recommend are:

Belkin, D-Link, NetGear. Lynksys seems fussy at times with BitTorrent. Belkin works nicely with torrents and works good with Internet Radio. Now if you have a modem/router combo from your cable company you can search for the ip and default pass to access and change the firewall settings. Turn on Upnp. You may even have to Turn OFF the firewall worse case being that. Make sure incomming TCP/IP connections are enabled as well for the ShoutCast directory needs to send data to your server so it acts like the old p2p clients like WinMX, LimeWare only that it does not use other people's computer to relay data. I wish ShoutCast did use p2p technology like Streamerp2p for it would make Shoutcast hosting 98% cheaper.

Good luck this really should help.
        Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
        http://nextkast.com

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com

Comment

• DrO
          • Sep 2003

according to the database, the last time it was listed was the 13th December.

the authhash is present but the last address which was noted for it is not providing a valid DNAS response.

you've mentioned about changing who you connect to the internet and it would seem like there is either a firewall issue (as covered in prior posts) or you're being purposefully blocked (which wouldn't surprise me if you're basically using a mobile service).

all i can suggest is to restart the DNAS and check what is reported in the log on the status page as all i can tell is the DNAS stopped responding / providing updates which if it had 'added' ok, would just keep it running in a state that allows connections in the manner being seen but would not allow a listing or external listeners (since no one can access the DNAS assuming the IP i've got logged is correct).

-daz
          WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

• A-tone
            • Sep 2012

Thanks for the responses guys. It's back up and running. You were right, DrO. I simply needed to re-start the DNAS. I hadn't done that when I switched out the router.

Comment

Working...
            X