View Single Post
Old 25th October 2019, 15:40   #9
olorinjoyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorSaldana View Post
So, firstly, I'd like to say helloo, as I'm new to the subreddit, but as the title says, I'm looking to see if it's possible to route say, game audio through Winamp as though it were a hardware stereo receiver my computer was hooked up to, as I have what I like to think is a decent EQ, and game music in particular sounds really good through it to my ears.

I've thought about trying to figure out how to do this in the past, but until now, I never really got around to asking if it could be done. I'm using the latest 5.8 build of Winamp, so I have no clue if that'll have any bearing on what I want to do, or if I'll have to downgrade to the latest patched version of 5 triple 6.

I have done a little bit of searching in the past few days, but it hasn't really turned up all that much, so I'm kind of hoping that picking y'all's brains on the subject might yield a few more fruitful results. That being said, any information anyone might have, either for or against the existence of any such ability of Winamp would be most greatly appreciated.

Thanks
If you're talking about routing your PC audio back through Winamp as a loopback, then yes it's possible but it's not pretty or easy.
First you need a new soundcard. It SHOULD be a high quality one, because this will be used as an analogue input and output.
Next, you'll configure your applications to output sound as normal through the built in soundcard of your PC, and then use a cable to loop the output to the line input of the new soundcard.
Next, you'll use Winamp's line-in plugin by Ctrl+L and typing 'linein://' in Winamp, to open the audio stream. You may need to fuss around with the input default ordering in Windows until you hit the jackpot.
Finally, your Winamp output plugin should be set to output to the new soundcard - which is where you'll ultimately plug in your speakers or headphones.

There is a possibility, not much, but a possibility that can use "Stereo Mix" in Windows 7/8/10, but it's highly unlikely to work if I'm honest with you. You'd still need that separate soundcard and to disable all other mics and inputs on your machine.