• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amethyst_fan
    • Jun 2005

Why can't I skip ahead on some videos

Hi,

On most all videos and songs you can of course skip ahead or behind. However on a select few videos it seems that I am unable to do anything except watch it from start to finish.

Now that would make sense if they were streaming or something, but I have these videos saved to the hard drive and they are full size videos, and I can still watch them regardless if I'm connected to the internet or not...but I want to know how to be able to skip ahead on them, and there's gotta be a way.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks
  • k_rock923
    \m/
    (Forum King)
    • Jul 2003

Please answer the following questions:
    • What type of file are you trying to play?
    • Are you using the latest winamp version?
    • Does the file seek in other video players such as windows media player?
    Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Comment

• amethyst_fan
      • Jun 2005

Well, that's the thing...it doesn't seem to be a particular file type. Because one is a .mpg and the other is .wmv and it is the same in windows media player or winamp. I do have the most recent updates.

It seems to me that there are some videos that just are locked from being able to skip ahead or behind...there has to be some way to get around that though

thanks for any help again

Comment

• DJ Egg
        Spectral Techorator
        • Jun 2000

No, there's no way round it. They were encoded that way, ie. as non-seekable files.

Playlist | Twitter | Albums

Comment

• amethyst_fan
          • Jun 2005

OK, well the good thing is that DJ Egg is wrong. I finally found something through google that helped me. This is caused by videos that are originally streamed videos that are recorded and/or if the file seek part of the files are missing. Luckily there is a program that will allow you to skip on those at http://www.avipreview.com/

So, I kinda answered my own question, but maybe other people will find this helpful. Also, this program supports everything except .wmv files, so if anyone else knows of a better program please post it. I guess I could just convert the .wmv files to mpeg but anywho

Comment

• DJ Egg
            Spectral Techorator
            • Jun 2000

Well, no, I wasn't wrong about the way they were encoded, heh.

Playlist | Twitter | Albums

Comment

Working...
            X