View Single Post
Old 16th May 2007, 18:18   #30
jmsallo

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
DJ Egg: as well, trying to support the win9x group of OSes is a nightmare at the best of times (personally i've just about given up any win9x testing now since it's too much hassle - tho xp gives more than enough issues at times, heh)
-daz
Well, at least someone else has issues with XP...

Quote:
i can understand why people will use older OSes, like how i use win2k as my main OS still (though comes in useful for version testing, etc by using something different from others) but in those cases it's time to admit that you can't run the latest of things and have to make that compromise (i know it's possible to get custom winamp installs made from new+older versions but that's a nightmare to control and ensure it's all version checked right)

-daz
Again, glad someone understands why I still run Win98SE:

It is so easy to 'get under the hood' and tweak or fix things; not like XP and that crummy 'Recovery Console'.

Plus it runs *everything* released up to about 2005 and all of my old game favorites without any issues.

I've actually patched to have files greater than 4GB, Universal USB support, DST fix, etc... It's solid and way faster than XP (with all of its bloated overhead).

Anyway, I'm not here to discuss OS merits; 5.34 works fine. I see no mention that Win98SE is no longer supported by Winamp; 5.35 has the issues I mentioned.

'nuf said.
jmsallo is offline   Reply With Quote