Thread: Best Director
View Single Post
Old 28th February 2011, 09:05   #36
rockouthippie
Banned

That's a tough one, but I have a hard time faulting anything done by Ridley Scott. For being prolific, you'd have to tip a hat to Roger Corman.

Quote:
Tarintino
I don't think that dog hunts any more. Inglorious Basterds was a terd. I have to credit him with Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill. It almost seems to me like lately he kinda "sold out" making films that are commercially Tarentino-ish. It was unique when he started.... now things seem to be a cookie cutter.

Quote:
Akira Kurosawa
He'd have to be a point of discussion in a serious discussion about directors. Ran is a masterpiece. You sure couldn't fault Rashamon or the Seven Samurai either.

One more that gets my kudos is John Ford. He made well more than 100 westerns, almost all of which were top notch. Among them .... Stagecoach, The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and How Green Was My Valley. I think he still holds the record for the most Academy Awards for a director.

In this discussion, you'd sure have to include Orson Welles. Citizen Kane and Touch of Evil are a couple movies of note. If you haven't watched "Touch of Evil"... you should. And we'd sure have to mention Alfred Hitchcock.... Vertigo.... Psycho... The Man who knew too much....

I even think you'd have to include Clint Eastwood too. The Unforgiven puts him there "in my book".

Favorite director for me is a tough call. I'm just happy we had these guys around to make going to the movies so much fun.

I'd have to give credit to Kubrick for Dr. Strangelove, which he wrote and directed. I'm not sure this makes him a great director, but he sure came up with some weird movies that have the distinction of being very unique. If we were considering originality, he'd have to get high marks in a book some place.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote