• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ethan_h
    Backpacking
    • Nov 2000

Originally posted by Omega X
    Damn, either you are completely reckless or just plain unlucky.
    Primarily reckless (I think I've gotten a bit more careful in recent years), with a dash of unlucky thrown in for good measure.
    Like my photography? Buy some here....

Comment

• rockouthippie
      Banned
      • Jun 2004

I got a friend like you Ethan. Back in the day, he always ended up in the hospital. I'd smash a dirt bike into pieces and walk away, he'd end up in the hospital nearly every summer.

I think that unlucky doesn't go away. He's 42 now, and last year he clipped the tailgate of his truck while riding an ATV. Broke all his ribs, busted his jaw, knocked some teeth out....

Brian has been folded, spindled, ran over by a semi..... He survives, but he is a hazard to only himself.

I did the same stuff and never got hurt enough to need a hospital. Bad road rash, busted ribs.... I have always walked away.... Not to say, I haven't got really banged up and worn a rib belt for a month ..... here and there ....

When stuff like that happens it tells you something... If I were Brian, I probably wouldn't even drive a car!. It's like Kennedys should not drive or fly airplanes.

Other guys can get away with this stuff, you and Brian need to watch it.

So like no hang-gliding okay?. I'll let ya know how it was

As far as the subject of the post, I've had some stitches for this and that. Busted my nose a few times and have cracked a couple of fingers.... busted ribs... nothing that needed a doc...
      Last edited by rockouthippie; 24 November 2006, 09:29.

Comment

• ethan_h
        Backpacking
        • Nov 2000

Yeah, but in my defence, the cause of some of that was a car crash, a 60mph train, and an avalanche. You should see what I've walked away from without a scratch

Comment

• rockouthippie
          Banned
          • Jun 2004

Sometimes I do wonder if it matters. I used to ride bikes fast. I have a preference for V4 bikes like V65 Magna and Vmax. Vintage ones were a lot better.

With hypersonic travel not killing me or anybody else, the closest I ever came to buying the farm was in a hardware store. A pallet of plywood slipped loose, and slammed me into the wall. Luckily, the wall was softer than me, so I ended up standing in their office, rather fubar. There have been a couple of more minor incidents I've had proving that the human body is harder than interior walls or ceilings.... I was a roofer for a while and fell through more than one ceiling.

So are you gonna die in a spectacular fireball from taking some risks or are you gonna just bite it from shopping at the hardware store?.

You take major risks and almost die because of a bad pallet jack.... smashed like a bug by a ton of plywood...

But then, back then, sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous.....

Sometimes it doesn't make sense. It isn't the riskiest things that I ever did that came close to offing me.
          Last edited by rockouthippie; 24 November 2006, 10:00.

Comment

• ethan_h
            Backpacking
            • Nov 2000

I guess you have a point. I do a lot of climbing and whatnot, and I guess that I make the assumption that if I'm gonna go, it will be some spectacular fall or something. Yet the closest I've come to meeting my maker was with a simple fall - slipped backwards and drove a 3 inch nail through my skull, puncturing an artery in the process. Damn near bled out completely. Not exactly the spectacular death I had anticipated.

Comment

• rockouthippie
              Banned
              • Jun 2004

A guy I used to work with roofing. Roofing isn't real dangerous... Ya fall off or through the ceiling of a house once in a while... usually you don't get hurt. I never did. But dude hit a rose bush when he fell, it wen't right through him.

It didn't kill him, but real close. Who would figure a 3 ft rose bush would kill you?.

I've fallen a couple floors and hit pavement. That just knocks the wind out of you, and some scrapes. Falling on dirt usually just makes you dirty. Hit a little rose bush......and it's a whole different ball game..

I never saw anybody get hurt bad doing roofing except this guy... weird.... That's kind of the same thing as you and the nail. If it hadn't been for the nail, you probably wouldn't have been hurt at all.....

Pallet jacks... a rose bush... an errant nail?. Maybe we should go hang-gliding?.

Comment

• razzinno
                Piffle Producer
                • May 2006

Originally posted by Omega X
                Damn, either you are completely reckless or just plain unlucky.
                When I read Ethan's post, I thought of this guy:

I know a couple of guys in their late 40s who continue to race motorcross and engage in full-contact football only to wind up getting injured again and again. Yep, they have families depending on them.

Comment

• Widdykats
                  The Forum Slut
                  • Jun 2002

Originally posted by ethan_h
                  Primarily reckless (I think I've gotten a bit more careful in recent years), with a dash of unlucky thrown in for good measure.
                  I told people you got those scars from Dueling!

* * If we're "Twins Separated At Birth I hafta' rearrange my thoughts!
                  Ooh, Gabardine

Comment

• beanboy89
                    (Major Dude)
                    isn't very custom
                    • Nov 2003

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed over the summer, so does that count as one overall cut or four separate cuts?
                    Site | Help us count

Comment

• Rocker
                      Hiding in plain sight (mod)
                      • Jun 2000

i have a few thousand cuts in my mouth every time i brush my teeth.. does that count?

Comment

• MidnightViper88
                        Made In The USA
                        (Forum King)
                        • Nov 2003

The only one I've had was a stitch job on my right palm a couple years ago when I was maybe 12 (Step-mom gave me a glass bottle of Coke, the laces on my boots caught onto my lace holders, I tripped and got a chunk of glass shard in my hand), but in that case, I had already cut myself for the docs...
                        "I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
                        "Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz

Comment

• ASD5A
                          Titeleinzigartigkeit
                          • Apr 2005

lets see...

at the age of five i got two of my toes sewed on after they were sedated.
                          at age of 8 i crushed my left arm near the wrist from falling of the couch (well the tall end of the couch).

since that i have had only injurys on the surface of my body like getting stabbed into the hand or getting removed about 15 squareinces of skin in a motorcycling accident.
                          oversized e-penis replacement

Comment

• rockouthippie
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by razzinno
                            I know a couple of guys in their late 40s who continue to race motorcross and engage in full-contact football only to wind up getting injured again and again. Yep, they have families depending on them.
                            Maybe you could wipe my chin, or pull out my rocking chair for me.

Comment

• swingdjted
                              DRINK BEER NOW
                              (Forum King)
                              • Feb 2006

Most of the time it was me getting hurt and the ER fixing, without having to do much additional cutting. Nothing big, just an occasional broken bone and/or stitches.

As for scars from the stitches, I have one faint one under my chin from a childhood bicycle wreck, a big one on my knee from slipping on ice running out to my car to go out with a gal that had just agreed to let me take her out(knee was sliced open by a sharp piece of gravel that was being held in place by the ice), and a 7 inch one up my hamstring from running into a tree while trying to catch a football (the tree branch broke and sliced my skin). That's all - nothing real life threatening.

Most of the life-threatening things that have happened to me were lucky situations where I didn't get hurt at all.

4 wisdom teeth will come out soon - a lil late at 28 years old, but the dentist thought they had come in fine until recently.

The meds that I've been given for all that were always some sort of ************* with *********** (I may not have spelled those right). I didn't notice anything special about their effects - I'm told you'd have to take more than a usual dose to get any sort of high.
                              Don't forget to live before you die.

Comment

• cmountford
                                The Rapper
                                (Major Dude)
                                • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Schmeet
                                Hurnia op. when I was about 10/11ish.
                                what type of hernia?
                                I'm a DJ. You can DL my mixes free from my website: www.djcmount.com

You have the right to refrain from posting unless you write in the "rap battles" thread. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court by mods.

Comment

Working...
                                X