View Single Post
Old 15th August 2008, 14:53   #7
claesabrandt

Unfortunately none of those three method works, I tried them. It would have been nice. I will explain at the bottom of this post why and some details, but here is a workaround, that will work:

1) Create your script that calls your C++/CLR DLL which then in turn calls your C# DLL. This is what I described in the first post. But do not copy your C# DLL file in this script. Resulting exe could be for instance setup1.exe

2) Create another script that includes your C# DLL and setup1.exe. In .onGUIInit it copies them to $TEMP, then executes setup1.exe. When setup1.exe runs and calls the C++/CLR DLLs, which in turn calls the C# DLLs, the .NET framework can find the C# DLLs. When setup1.exe finishes, you delete both the C# DLL and setup1.exe then call abort. You will never see the first installer.

I guess I should include this in the Wiki page?

---

Here is why it will not work trying to set the current dir, setting the path or extract the C# dll to $SYSDIR: When the NSIS installer invokes those C++/CLR DLL functions, .NET assumes it should look for the C# DLLs in the same directory as the installer exe.

Now, we could extract the C# DLL in the same directory as where the installer exe runs, but if it runs from a readonly directory, it extract will fail.

There are ways to make .NET probe for DLLs in other directories than where the executing exe is located. This MSDN article explains it: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/15hyw9x3(VS.71).aspx. The problem in those methods is that we still cannot copy a config file to a readonly directory.

We could also use reflection to load the C# assembly from any location we want, but then we loose compile-time error catching, and loading the assembly like this is ugly and I had some trouble getting NSIS to release the assembly file once it was loaded - it simply couldn't delete the DLL when exiting the installer.

Claes
claesabrandt is offline   Reply With Quote