View Single Post
Old 13th July 2010, 09:09   #45
rockouthippie
Banned

You might want to use the EQ to subtly adjust for speakers that don't have linear frequency response and for room acoustics. The poor mans way to do that is to make the speakers sound the same as a set of decent headphones you have plugged in. Rooms that have a lot of glass, formica and reflective surfaces tend to "ring" with treble. Conversely, rooms with no glass and a lot of absorptive wall coverings tend to deaden treble.

I personally like treble turned up a bit on the left because I am a little deaf to high frequencies in my left ear. Your EQ can usually go to 12 or 16 db difference. You'll find the sweet spot within 3 or 4db of flat. 4db is a whole lot of difference. It won't matter much what style of music you listen to after that, because the recording engineer has already taken the matter into consideration.

If you are playing cassette tapes you might want to turn down 400hz a few db. Because of tape technology, 400hz finds itself with a lot of distortion.

I like to run piezo tweeters because they are indestructible, but I think the treble could be described as harsh. Cutting the treble a db or 2 mellows them out.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote