• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssaammp
    • Mar 2011

missing encoders

I don't have any encoders but mp3
    They just aren't on the list of encoders when I go to "change transcoder settings"

I made sure to reinstall Winamp with every encoder it listed, and it had the same problem. Now I can't put any of my FLAC music collection on my iPod.

This is a relatively new computer, so possibly there is something I need to install to get it to work.
  • ssaammp
    • Mar 2011

I looked around, and I noticed that I don't have any of the enc_aac or enc_aacplus files that I think I need.

Also, I started getting an error message telling me I needed "NSCRT.dll", so I download it and that got rid of the error.

Maybe if I manually change the encoder using the configuration file, then it will work.

Comment

• Bilbo9955
      • Jan 2007

Transcoding is a Winamp function, not a ml_iPod function. Try the main forum.

Comment

• ssaammp
        • Mar 2011

Yes, except that they are all there and work great in winamp.

The method that ml_ipod uses is not recognizing the existence of all the encoders I have; Winamp can find them easily.

I really should have mentioned that earlier.

Comment

• ssaammp
          • Mar 2011

It appears the latest Winamp doesn't need ml_ipod for my iPod. I'll just use that then.

I hope nobody else had that problem.

Comment

• DrO
            • Sep 2003

nothing current in Winamp from the last 2 years iirc should be trying to reference nscrt.dll - that usually points at an old plug-in being present (like some of the additional encoder dlls / plug-ins) were built to use.

the AAC encoder filename changed as part of 5.62x to now be enc_fhgaac.dll (due to codec library changes). renaming it back to enc_aacplus.dll would probably allow ml_ipod to find / use it.

-daz
            WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

• ssaammp
              • Mar 2011

Well, one copy, one rename, and one restart later it is still not working.

Also, during this time, my iPod died. It was over 2 years old, so naturally it starting having a problem. Sections of music would just disappear from it. Then, would reset and format itself whenever I unplugged it from a computer. No matter what software fix I tried, it would just forget the fix and go back to default when I unplugged it. Changing drive letters, formatting, update attempts, trying different computers, none of it worked.

Now I have a Sansa Clip, and am very satisfied, especially since I don't have to be tied by a bungee cord to apple software. Apple sucks for trying to keep people out of their devices.

Naturally, the problem would either become solved or burn out at some point.

Comment

• DrO
                • Sep 2003

Originally Posted by ssaammp View Post
                Well, one copy, one rename, and one restart later it is still not working.
                thinking about it, i wonder if it's hard-coded to look for certain encoder entries in the old encoder dll. though doesn't seem to really matter if you're not using it now and no one is really developing ml_ipod anymore.

-daz

Comment

• markuspeloquin
                  • Apr 2011

FOUND IT (edit well kind of) ;_; <-- tears of happiness (edit actually tears of sadness it turns out)

Go into your Winamp.ini (.../AppData/Roaming/Winamp/Winamp.ini) and add to the [ml_ipod] section 'showAllEncoders=1'. I was reading through the source code, and it looks like ml_ipod is looking for a codec starting with 'M4A' or 'MP3' (case-sensitive), so I'm guessing Winamp renamed the AAC codecs. Just be sure to not do something stupid like use FLAC

This was the only reason I jumped ship to pmp_ipod.dll, but that just fucked me over royally so I needed to be able to come back. I'll file a bug report and this should be a pretty painless fix.

edit The songs are not being transcoded properly for some reason. I used the transcoder with AAC with pmp_ipod.dll and it worked fine, but now not so much.

Comment

• DrO
                    • Sep 2003

Originally Posted by markuspeloquin View Post
                    This was the only reason I jumped ship to pmp_ipod.dll, but that just fucked me over royally so I needed to be able to come back. I'll file a bug report and this should be a pretty painless fix.
                    I'm not going to comment on the issues with pmp_ipod as it's a plug-in i can never work on (due to thankfully being ipod free).

with the last part of the comment quoted, yes it is probably simple to fix bar one issue, ml_ipod is effectively not developed as things currently stand.

-daz

Comment

• ahhleen
                      • Nov 2011

This is what worked fine for me.

1. Downloaded the full version of Winamp 5.61 from here http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328446
                      2. Installed Winamp v5.61 into a different folder than the current v5.62x
                      3. Copied enc_aacplus.dll from v5.61 into v5.62x
                      4. Started Winamp v5.62x. The AAC encoder from "Coding Technologies" is still available for me and I can use it from ml_ipod v3.10 as I previously did from Winamp v5.61. The transcoded files play fine in Winamp and on iPod.

Happy syncing again your flac files to iPod!

Comment

• bitcore
                        • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by ahhleen View Post
                        This is what worked fine for me.

1. Downloaded the full version of Winamp 5.61 from here http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328446
                        2. Installed Winamp v5.61 into a different folder than the current v5.62x
                        3. Copied enc_aacplus.dll from v5.61 into v5.62x
                        4. Started Winamp v5.62x. The AAC encoder from "Coding Technologies" is still available for me and I can use it from ml_ipod v3.10 as I previously did from Winamp v5.61. The transcoded files play fine in Winamp and on iPod.

Happy syncing again your flac files to iPod!
                        SWEET! This worked perfectly for me. Thank you for taking the time to post what worked for you. Working with: 5.6.23.

FOR THE LAZY: I have mirrored the dll in question here: http://www.bitcore.org/enc_aacplus.dll

File hashes created by HashTab:
                        CRC32: 7B9E73A3
                        MD5: AECD2B0E9FBA41EACBB3EE307EDA4926
                        SHA-1: 966B2F397E25DEE5235907D0678F367E027FE8DF

Virustotal Scan Results
                        Like music? Like milkdrop? You need a BLTC sandwich.
                        Better Living Through Chemicals. It's Pretty!

Comment

• burnburnrocket
                          • Aug 2010

Figured newer winamp was the cause of my troubles. enc_aacplus.dll fixed things up just fine for me as well. Thanks!

Comment

• OpiO
                            • Jun 2007

same here , thx for the upload !!

Comment

• bitcore
                              • Jan 2004

Funny story: I ran into the exact same problem again somehow - and my own post from a year ago that I totally forgot about, fixed my problem.
                              Yay internet!
                              Like music? Like milkdrop? You need a BLTC sandwich.
                              Better Living Through Chemicals. It's Pretty!

Comment

Working...
                              X