• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrSinatra
    Forum King
    • Dec 2004

Originally Posted by Rocker View Post
    MrSinatra I like what you've done, however maybe a tread with information about file info, rather than just id3 tagging is more appropriate?
    well, what i was looking to do was directly replace the orig thread of the same name, but address that topic [id3] in a more concise and helpful manner. i do think people need to understand how tagging relates to file formats, and so i wanted to concentrate on mp3 and id3, as i know those best.

i am not an expert in mp3 itself, but i consider myself fairly educated regarding id3 in them. i'd certainly be game to try to write something about mp3, as i'm not a novice with it either; but could you give me an idea about what you'd like covered?

i do think APE and Vorbis and so on should also be covered, but in their own threads. i would def be willing to help contribute to such an effort, but i'm not sure i should write those articles, i'm just not expert in them.

ID3 is so outdated, and I don't really think its particularly relevant anymore... whats your thoughts?
    i completely agree id3 is outdated, and fairly difficult to boot, and not flexible. no doubt. but it is still by far the king of tagging, b/c mp3 is still the king of audio files, not in terms of technical greatness, but in terms of popularity and ubiquity. i would bet most winamp users are using winamp with mp3, so most of them then are using id3, or id3 with simultaneous other tags. in my opinion however, only id3v2 should be used with mp3

I really only use the mp3 format these days in my archives or transcode my files onto my ipod seldomly(since I can send flac to my phone recently). when storage is this cheap and internet is this fast whats really the purpose of the mp3 file format aside from compatibility?
    well, i have a great many mp3 files that i no longer have access to the CDs of. and while storage is cheap, i have 55k+ files that i like on my laptop sans ext drive, so i'm kinda married to mp3. (all my rips are 256kbps, and to me, they sound just as good as FLAC).

in a broader sense, i agree that anyone starting a collection now should do all FLAC, for any number of good reasons. i certainly have several thousand FLACs myself.

perhaps a new thread detailing recommended file formats and tagging information would be more relevent as a long standing solution? highlighting the benefits of free and lossless formats for a long term solution. the more people who want to use flac or vorbis the more devices there will be that will support it(over paid for solutions which are no better in the end).

discuss

I have attached what I believe to be sawgs original post, I think however we'll make a totally new thread out of this.(I don't think he'll mind heh)
    in other threads, i have said that if i use lossy, i only use mp3, and if i use lossless, i only use FLAC.

i def think winamp should write or encourage articles that push "best practices" that are both logical, and to winamps benefit in that if people follow the advice, they will have less support issues. what was once a wild west, has now, imo, mostly settled down.

to me, the clear winners in local media are mp3/id3, and FLAC/Vorbis. (its hard to discount completely what apple does, mp4 and ALAC, but those aren't much different really). while winamp should continue to support all the formats it can, (which it needs to for streaming) i think winamp would benefit users to say, "here's what works best for most situations" and if a lot of people conform to that, it then will benefit winamp b/c there will be fewer esoteric situations foisted on winamp by users, ergo less support requests.
    PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
    --
    BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
    Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
    Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Comment

• MrSinatra
      Forum King
      • Dec 2004

my FAQ post should be corrected:

AAC does NOT use id3, (which i had there b/c Sawg or whoever had it in their orig post), it uses atoms i think, like mp4 does. i think it is possible to hack id3 into AAC like the way u can a FLAC or Wav, but like those, you prob shouldn't.

so in any case, AAC should be removed from the list in the FAQ post.
      --

Comment

• DrO
        • Sep 2003

AAC is the raw audio format and you seem to be confusing things with talk of atoms, as that's related to the mp4 container format implementation and not tagging directly.

-daz
        WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

• MrSinatra
          Forum King
          • Dec 2004

well, perhaps so, let me state it this way:

i know id3 and mp3, this is what i'm versed in. i know next to nothing about mp4 and AAC and atoms. i do not know how AAC / MP4 / Atoms relate to each other, inter-operate or whats native or whatever.

i do believe however, that i was misled by Sawgs post which said AAC uses id3, and that is what i was attempting to correct.

are you saying AAC natively uses id3? and if not, what does it use natively?
          --

Comment

• ujay
            Forum King
            • Jul 2001

AFAIK it goes like this :

There is no standard for AAC tags, or didn't used to be anyway.
            Raw AAC (with .aac extention) adopted ID3 tags, and get sent to in_mp3 for decoding.
            itunes style AAC (in an .mp4 container) uses itunes tags and get sent to in_mp4 for decoding.

UJ

Comment

• MrSinatra
              Forum King
              • Dec 2004

interesting.

the problem though, is i have found next to no info via google regarding using AAC and id3 together.

so are you saying that an AAC file that is not in a mp4 container, and that has no tags, will, if tag edited by winamp, get a new id3 tag inserted into it?

my problem is i haven't found any info one way or the other about this.
              --

Comment

• ujay
                Forum King
                • Jul 2001

I think that's the way it works MrS.

Raw .aac supports standard IFF type headers, so mp3 was the obvious choice.

If you want to look further, maybe make up a few sample files and compare them in a Hex Editor.

UJ

Comment

• greivinarr
                  • Jun 2014

My Wish... it's simply: Mp3 Auto-Tag with Info + AlbumArt + Lyrics in one click! For 1 or multiple MP3 files...

Comment

• mattenemu
                    • Jun 2014

Hi
                    I have for years tried to find a tool that is printing out id3 info on .txt or other text file inside the album folder.
                    like Artist: bla bla
                    Genre: 199*
                    language: blala

etc etc
                    with some options to select the output
                    Please give me some tips of a program that can do this and i am happy for a long time

Greetings from sweden

Comment

• ryerman
                      Major Dude
                      • Mar 2010

Try Mp3tag.
                      Documentation on exporting tag and file information to text-based file formats. Mp3tag is the universal Tag Editor.
                      Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin

Comment

• sienek
                        • Mar 2015

Hello everyone. Maybe You can help for this.

What program I need to use to do example id3v2 tags:

Image Hosting, Image Upload, Picture Hosting

How to do it for example tags for other files (unchecked id3v2 tag information and still has full name song info)?

If someone know please write tutorial (step by step) what program what options etc.

Best regards.

Comment

• MrSinatra
                          Forum King
                          • Dec 2004

I don't understand what you want to do, but I am sure mp3tag will do it.
                          --

Comment

• sienek
                            • Mar 2015

Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
                            I don't understand what you want to do, but I am sure mp3tag will do it.
                            How to make the same ID3v2 what i have for that example mp3 file (in screenshot). Look at the fact, that the tab ID3v2 (in screenshot) are unchecked, and have still title song. How I can to do for any mp3 file?

For remind: http://www.imagebam.com/image/20ab9b398349759

Comment

• MrSinatra
                              Forum King
                              • Dec 2004

you can configure mp3tag so it will read all the tags, and then save only the 2.3 tags and erase the others. its not that hard to do, but u need to DL and experiment with it, they have forums there as well. also see:

Read-only forum with answers to the most commonly asked newbie techsupport questions pulled from all the other forums. Check here for basic Winamp support answers before digging into the forums.
                              --

Comment

• sienek
                                • Mar 2015

Hi thanks for your reply. You know how to do it? Or not? My english is not to good to understand thoroughly that topic. I need a tutorial like screenshots how to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X