• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lord_Dudel
    • Oct 2011

winamp crashes on startup

hi,
    today my winamp just started crashing at startup and i couldn fix it so far:

Winamp (i think it was the latest version installed) worked fine on my pc until i tried to install a ipod support plugin, bad idea...
    After Installing this plugin my winamp crashed at startup

Tried to remove the plugin - didn worked
    Uninstalled winamp, downloaded newest version - didn worked
    read forum, saw this clean reinstall hint (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=161361#specs) - didn worked
    uninstalled winamp, runned cccleaner to clean registry, manually searched an deleted any files related to that plugin and winamp, reinstalled winamp again - didn worked

even reinstalled my windows and then installed winamp on that windows ( after i loaded all updates) - didn worked

installed winamp only with the essential parts ( only the player) - worked!

well getting so far i added every single extra on the next install and that way i narrowed the problem to the media library somewhere, as soon as i install that part, winamp keeps crashing @ start. i may hear 0.5 sec of the dj llama intro but then it crashes.

problem is, winamp is quite useless for me without the library anyone got any solutions to this?
    couldn be just a error of that plugin anymore as i resetted my whole windows... also wondering why it worked perfectly before that plugin, didn realy changed anything else on my pc

pc specs:
    windows 7 prof. 64 bit
    cpu: phenom II 965 3,4 Ghz
    mainboard: msi 890fxa-gd70
    soundcard: dont know, onboard
    video: gforce gtx 470
    ram: 4gb, dont know the producer

if you need any else info, give me a call
  • Learner85
    • Oct 2011

Same issue

Hi everyone.
    I need support for the same problem, I suppose.

After some searches on other threads, I found out that my issue is caused by the "gen_ml.dll" file, which, once removed from the "plugin" folder, allows winamp to regularly work. Otherwise, when the "gen_ml.dll" file is into the "plugin" folder, winamp crashes immediately.
    Like I said, I searched the forums but I didn't find any helpful thread about my situation.
    Now I ask you help.

Some informations: I have windows 7 Home edition and I already launched the plugin test. I post the results as attachments.

Please help me, I need to use the libraries in winamp in order to make it work with the android Pro Version, which I've already bought.

Thank You!
    Attached Files

Comment

• lord_Dudel
      • Oct 2011

well same for me^^ deleting "gen_ml.dll" from my plugin folder fixes the crashes on startup,

but it seems like this is the plugin for the media library as it is disappeared then.

Comment

• DrO
        • Sep 2003

based on other people having a crash on startup with Windows 7, the most likely cause is pmp_p4s.dll (PlaysForSure device hander).

so a) make sure that is removed from the folder, then b) during setup on the components page, make sure to uncheck that under the portables options.

-daz
        WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

• Learner85
          • Oct 2011

Originally Posted by DrO View Post
          during setup on the components page, make sure to uncheck that under the portables options.
          Excuse me: what do you mean by "portables options"?

Comment

• DrO
            • Sep 2003

Components Page -> Winamp Library -> Portable Media Player Support -> uncheck 'Support for Microsoft PlaysForSure'

portables is what describes handling of things like mp3 players or ipods, etc.

-daz

Comment

• Learner85
              • Oct 2011

Ok, I'm italian so I obviously had to install the english version of winamp in order to understand what you said.
              And I made it: it works. In the portables options, I installed the android features only and the library appeared. Then, when I noticed that my device was no longer detected, I re-pasted "pmp_p4s.dll " in the plugin folder and it worked.

Thank you very much for the support.

Have a nice day! :-)

Comment

• lord_Dudel
                • Oct 2011

deleting pmp_p4s.dll or reinstalling winamp without the playforsure compnent, does not fix it for me.

still seems to be an error with the media library for me as winamp starts to crash as soon as i install a single component of it

Comment

• DrO
                  • Sep 2003

lord_Dudel: best option is to move all of the ml_*.dll out of the plug-ins folder, then move them back in one at a time (restarting Winamp each time) until it crashes again. if it does it with ml_pmp.dll then you'd need to remove all pmp_*.dll and repeat the same process.

-daz

Comment

• lord_Dudel
                    • Oct 2011

i tried every single .dll and it only crashes when the gen_ml.dll is in the folder, everything else works fine

Comment

• lord_Dudel
                      • Oct 2011

ok some good news for me now:

i just tried install and use version 5.621 instead of 5.622 and it works fine so far, well atleast it didn crashed at start.
                      installed it with all the plugins that come with that version.

seems like the media library of version 5.622 doesnt like my pc

this could also answer the question why my winamp worked fine before i tried this shitty ipod plugin, it wasnt the newest version of it.

Comment

• DrO
                        • Sep 2003

hang on a sec, 5.622 - was it build 3188 or 3189? as there's a crash for some people in 3188 when using a language pack but it's not to do with gen_ml.dll but gen_jumpex.dll.

would suggest checking what version of 5.622 you did get via the winamp.exe file properties.

-daz

Comment

• lord_Dudel
                          • Oct 2011

its build 3188 and now it seems like this jumpex.dll is the error.

i deleted it from my plugin folder and winamp starts now even with version 5.622

where did i get build 3189 from? cause i downloaded the build 3188 from the winamp.com website
                          and what is this jumpex plugin? could i live without it? using winamp in german version right now but i wouldn have any problem when i have to use it in english

Comment

• DrO
                            • Sep 2003

you just need to re-download the Winamp installer to get build 3189 (really could have done with knowing you were using 5.622 and a language pack) as we pushed an updated installer out yesterday but not all of the localised download links reflected the change until an hour or so ago.

it enhances the jump to file window and a number of other things in Winamp such as the playlist queue option when using 'q' in the playlist editor (to override the current playlist order), etc.

-daz

Comment

• lord_Dudel
                              • Oct 2011

yeah sry, will remember to tell you next time ill need help for winamp ( so hopefully never)

thanks alot! i must have just missed the new build as i downloaded the winamp installer 2 days ago -_-

Comment

Working...
                              X