View Single Post
Old 14th December 2013, 20:43   #1
coolstreams

SqrSoft Adv Crossfader:"time out while waiting for the device close" is MEMORY issue

Posting this here so anyone searching for this problem does not have to search all over the web (as I did).

SqrSoft (Sqr Soft) Advanced Crossfader (a third party developer plug-in):
Winamp Versions that I saw the problem with: v5.65 (Jul 23, 2013) and 5.572 (May 25, 2010); Sqr Soft Versions 1.7.5 and 1.7.6.1180.

If you experience Winamp crashing with this plug in and see "time out while waiting for the device close" errors, this may be a MEMORY issue with your machine! I recently resolved the problem by increasing physical RAM from 500 MB to 2 GB (it had also worked fine on 1 GB for many years earlier).

Since I am not the plug-in developer, here's how I arrived at the conclusion:
I encountered the problem after the PC I was running Winamp 5.572 (May 25, 2010) with the SqrSoft Advanced Cross fader version 1.7.5 had a 500 MB RAM Card go bad (total Memory before removing this was 1 GB). The problem started while running on only 1 500 MB RAM card. This was in early September, 2013. I had been running SqrSoft on Winamp (also on earlier Winamp versions) on this machine since around 2002 or 2003 and had NEVER experienced a crash (running 24x7x7). I first tried upgrading to the latest version of SqrSoft (1.7.6.1180) and then to Winamp v5.65 (Jul 23, 2013), and the problem remained - Winamp with SqrSoft would run fine for anywhere from 12 to 48 hours and then would crash with this time out error displayed. Since it took some time for me to see the problem develop after I had removed the memory card, I didn't immediately relate it to that. When searching on the web for posts about the problem, I found some posts about the same time out error/crashing problem from as far back as 2002, so I realized it was probably not related to anything recent. That is when I looked at what changed on my machine and remembered removing the memory card.

I am currently running the SqrSoft advanced cross fader (1.7.6.1180) on Winamp v5.65 on a Pentium 4 - 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Windows XP Home SP3 PC, 24x7x7 with no crashes or issues.
coolstreams is offline   Reply With Quote