View Single Post
Old 1st June 2010, 10:23   #4
deckard253

thanks for the response and info, Major.

here's how i changed it into an usb (msc) device:

"Open Device Manager. (To do this, open Windows Explorer and right click on "My Computer">Properties>Hardware tab>Device Manager)Find your Sansa Express under Portable Devices. Right click>Properties>Driver tab>Update driver. Select: No, not this time, Next.

Select: Install from a list or specific location (Advanced), Next.

Select: Don’t Search. I will choose the driver to install, Next.

Be sure to check the box beside Show compatible hardware.

Highlight USB Mass Storage Device, Next.

Your SE screen should go dark, then light back up. Look at Device Manager. You should now see your SE listed amongst the USB Host Controllers and Root Hubs (signifying a USB mass storage device). If you got an error, Device cannot be started, ignore this. Close that window, and any Help center window that opens. Do a Hard Reset (center Select button & volume up) with SE plugged in. Your SE screen will light up. You can now use your SE as a UMS device. This will allow you, for example, to see hidden files in the SE memory. However, WMP 11 wil not see your SE while using the UMS drivers.

To return to using your SE in MTP mode, repeat steps 1-6 above, and at step 7 select MTP Device."

winamp now reads the walkman as USB Drive E:

and now i eject it from winamp, AND from windows explorer.

it syncs nicely now, with the only trade-off being 20% of album art missing, as far as i can tell. i posted the above instructions just in case anyone else wants to give it a try, it may save some google'ing.
deckard253 is offline   Reply With Quote