X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CaptainDave
    • Jun 2002

When will we see the new WinAmp

Me and the Lamha have been kicking butt since winamp came out! When will we see the new WinAmp
  • The1_Freeman
    • Sep 2019

at this point, never, but you can always give WACUP a try
    it's in active development and ways better than what Winamp 6 might turn out to be... IF it does come out

Comment

• d3athstardisco
      • Dec 2018

Just curious what people need a new winamp for? I use winamp to listen to music on my desktop and it has never failed.

Comment

• Fishermanmax
        • Feb 2020

It's more a matter of RAM consumption and interface responsiveness. If it is fast, then it has a chance, and if it starts for more than 3 seconds and slows down, then it makes no sense.

Comment

• Aminifu
          Forum King
          • Aug 2011

It's 2020, CPU and RAM resources are meant to be used (in other words, what good is it having them sit idle). If the computer has a multi-core CPU running at 3 GHz or more and at least 6 GB of RAM then it should have no problems running Winamp or WACUP, with or without other apps running.
          Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
          Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• Class316
            • Oct 2020

Just curious what's wrong with Winamp 5.8? It works very well on Windows 10.

Comment

• NJK
              FRISIAN
              • Sep 2003

Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
              Just curious what's wrong with Winamp 5.8? It works very well on Windows 10.

it all depends on plugins. With certain plugins it won't work on Windows 10.
              Just a clean install of Winamp itself will work without any worry.

But since the majority of users all use plugins from a 3th party it will mess up settings and it makes Winamp itself unstable.

got 5.8 here working without any problems on 1 Windows 10 system but on other computers i still use 5.666
              latest version of Winamp
              DSP Plug V2.41
              Language Packs

Comment

• Aminifu
                Forum King
                • Aug 2011

Originally Posted by NJK View Post
                It's usually plug-ins that want to read and write data to the Windows registry. Beginning with Windows 7, Microsoft started blocking apps installed in sub-folders of the "Programs Files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders from writing to the registry on their own.

The weird thing is that apps installed in sub-folders of a drive's root folder do not have this restriction. Try installing Winamp in a root folder sub-folder instead of it's default location and you may find that most of the plug-ins that had issues don't anymore.

Comment

• Class316
                  • Oct 2020

Originally Posted by NJK View Post
                  Just a clean install of Winamp itself will work without any worry.

But since the majority of users all use plugins from a 3th party it will mess up settings and it makes Winamp itself unstable.

got 5.8 here working without any problems on 1 Windows 10 system but on other computers i still use 5.666
                  Like which plug ins have issues?

Comment

• Aminifu
                    Forum King
                    • Aug 2011

Like which plug ins have issues?
                    For me it was some DSP, output and visualizer plug-ins released before Windows 7 was released that still didn't work after changing where Winamp was installed. I was lucky in getting their developers to make updates for some or found replacements for the features that were provided by others.

Comment

• Class316
                      • Oct 2020

Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
                      For me it was some DSP, output and visualizer plug-ins released before Windows 7 was released that still didn't work after changing where Winamp was installed. I was lucky in getting their developers to make updates for some or found replacements for the features that were provided by others.
                      My main reason to use Winamp is playing sound formats already supported or putting in plugins of other formats and playing those. So I guess it would have no affect on me.

Though let's face it, 95% of the reason we use Winamp today is nostalgia and homage to what it once represented. VLC is really an awesome all round media player that plays most any format (movie or audio). It is what I primarily use to play movies. People under 35 today have no idea what Winamp is.

Heartbreaking to say it but it has gone the way of the fax machine in terms of relevancy.

Comment

• Aminifu
                        Forum King
                        • Aug 2011

Though let's face it, 95% of the reason we use Winamp today is nostalgia and homage to what it once represented.
                        While I don't disagree with that statement, Winamp still has the most customization options (via plug-ins) available today. I've mostly moved on to WACUP (based on Winamp v.5666.3516) which is being actively developed and has added new features that reduce the relevancy gap.

The WACUP developer is willing to try to update or rewrite Winamp plug-ins that don't work well with WACUP, when possible. He has already done this for 6 of the plug-ins I use with Winamp.

I know that many people (young and old) don't like fooling around with an app's default configuration. If it doesn't meet their needs "out-of-the-box", they move on to something else. I like to adjust an app's defaults to better suit my needs, whenever possible.
                        Last edited by Aminifu; 11 October 2020, 22:52.

Comment

• Class316
                          • Oct 2020

While I don't disagree with that statement, Winamp still has the most customization options (via plug-ins) available today. I've mostly moved on to WACUP (based on Winamp v.5666.3516) which is being actively developed.
                          It is true. The plugin system of Winamp is truly quite the art to say the least.

I'm using version 5.8 that's on the main page and it's working great for me on windows 10 Even though I hardly use it in this day and age. I honestly play more music on youtube than on my PC.

Though I'm getting a new disc drive in the mail soon that I will plug into my PC. I have too many music CDs, DVDs, and blu rays not to have one handy. I even got a couple of UHDs and the drive I got is "UHD friendly". Plus I want to get rid of my old burnt CDs and DVDs and copy the contents over to an external drive.

Maybe I'll even op in an audio CD and play it on Winamp for nostalgia if nothing else.

Though I must say,15 years ago never in my wildest dreams I would have imagined using an optical disc drive would one day be so archaic. A generation is going to grow up with no idea that discs were once a thing.

Comment

• Aminifu
                            Forum King
                            • Aug 2011

Though I must say,15 years ago never in my wildest dreams I would have imagined using an optical disc drive would one day be so archaic. A generation is going to grow up with no idea that discs were once a thing.
                            Oh, so true! Technology marches on.

I'm 69. Do you know or remember why the OS starts labeling hard drives with the letter "C"? I still have some of those things (in an old dusty box in the garage) that went into those "A" and "B" drives (1st and 2nd generations).

For years I had been using my cell phone (fantasy devices when I was a kid) only for phone calls, but last year I finally got a smart phone and now use my cell phone for so much more. So you can teach some old dogs new tricks.

Comment

• Class316
                              • Oct 2020

Oh, so true! Technology marches on.

I'm 69. Do you know or remember why the OS starts labeling hard drives with the letter "C"? I still have some of those things (in an old dusty box in the garage) that went into those "A" and "B" drives (1st and 2nd generations).
                              I'm younger but I'm an Xennial so I do remember old technology well. Aren't they C drives because A was the 3.5" disk and B was the 5.25" floppy disk?

For years I had been using my cell phone (fantasy devices when I was a kid) only for phone calls, but last year I finally got a smart phone and now use my cell phone for so much more. So you can teach some old dogs new tricks.
                              Welcome to 2009-2010.

Comment

Working...
                              X