• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DJ ANTarctic
    • Sep 2001

MIDI Instruments sound like c**p

Let's start at the beginning.

I have always been put off playing MIDI files, due to my SoundBlaster 16 () Midi synthesiser being unable to make "realistic" sounds. A piano is not meant to sound like an organ, though the SoundBlaster 16 makes it sound that way.

But a couple of weeks ago, I was playing around in my Age of Empires Program Files folder and came across the .MID files it uses for background music. Since the background music doesn't work during the game, I decided to load it into Winamp and have a listen.

Now — I like to customize every program and plugin to it's full extent, so, while listening to the clicks, beeps and tones that these .MIDs attempted to make sound like drums, flutes and violins, I opened up the settings panel for the Winamp2 Midi Input plugin (v 2.64, the one that comes with Winamp).

Upon opening the device drop down box, I saw that there were five or so devices to choose from; all but one I had already seen in the Windows Multimedia Control Panel. This new one I forget the name of, but it was something like "RC/RM Synthesizer" or the like.

I chose this one, restarted the Midi playback, and lo and behold, there came the music out of my speakers sounding like a full orchestra recorded on MP3. I tried all the other .MID files on my computer, and they al sounded realistic too — so realistic that no-one I asked could tell the difference between a .MID file and an MP3. I guessed that this was probably a software sythesizer, since it was playing out of my wave channel.

Then the Internet stopped working.

After trying everything I could think of, I finally re-installed Windows (98), to find the the Net now worked, but the Sythnesizer that I so loved was now gone, and I had to go back to listening to the dry schreeching and scratching of beeps and clicks with my SB16 hardware sythensizer.

I re-installed Winamp, searched the whole Winamp forums, and stayed up to 3:30 am trying to find a site on the net where I could download a synthesizer to work with Winamp that would give me back my perfect sound.

I still haven't found anything.

Does anyone know how to fix this? (And don't tell me, 'Get a new sound-card.' I had great sound with this one, I want it back.)

"I am not responsible for the mood I am in today. Please direct all complaints to Mr. William Gates." ............
    If you can read this, email me: [email protected]
  • festerhead
    Alumni
    • Sep 2001

So, it was you that stopped the Internet, eh?

Don't know if this helps, but try the Unison GM/GS soundbank.
    Peter Jevnisek's wonderful new GM/GS soundbank is now here for download and is one of the most popular on this site. This is the one that's been talked about in the newsgroups, previewed with some mp3 samples, and has everyone waiting with baited breath! A wonderfully musical and clean sound; if you're using the SBLive! you must download this soundfont.
    Go here, scroll down and look for the DOWNLOAD Unison.zip link.

Comment

• DJ ANTarctic
      • Sep 2001

So, it was you that stopped the Internet, eh?
      Lol. Well, on my computer anyway .

That SoundFont sounds great, but it is 17 MB, and that will take too long on my dial up connection.

And I'm sure that the device I used to use wasn't 17 MB .

Any other ideas?

"I am not responsible for the mood I am in today. Please direct all complaints to Mr. William Gates." ............
      If you can read this, email me: [email protected]

Comment

• LoyC
        • Dec 2001

hey DJ Antarctic, i'm not sure whether u've heard about this, but u could upgrade your sound card drivers to kX drivers found over here: http://www.kxproject.spb****
        they're unofficial sound card drivers, well made by their producers to produce high-quality sound output for both midi & any other sound playback. i use it myself, so does many others out there (shout out if u're one of them Right now i'm not so sure whether it would work for your SB16 card, on the website it says it doesn't, but u could always give it a try and see how it goes. all the best!

Comment

Working...
        X