• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ken52787
    Major Dude
    • Aug 2003

NSVx - Read if you're a coder

Here is a little something I whipped up yesterday. It is an ActiveX control that you can import into a Visual Basic project or another language that supports ActiveX, that'll handle the actual streaming of the NSV files so you can concentrate on writing the actual program.

All you need to do is tell it the shoutcast address, port, password, and some details about the stream for use in the header. You can then use functions such as Connect and Disconnect and it'll handle all the gritty details with the Shoutcast server. You can then use the StreamVideo function and give it the path of the file and it'll stream the video for you. For all the commands you can use, read the readme.txt in the zip.

Features:
    - Smart(er) video streaming. Rather than just send out the data at a specified rate which'll cause buffering, NSVx actually parses through the frames, so it always streams at the correct speed, even on VBR files that have a highly irratic bitrate.
    - Low resource usage. Peaked at 2% on my AMD 1.83 GHz processor, staying at 0% most of the time.

The zip includes a sample Visual Basic project that'll help teach you how to use it.

DOWNLOAD HERE
    NSV downloads
    An in-depth step by step guide for newbies, coming soon.
  • ken52787
    Major Dude
    • Aug 2003

NSVx has been updated to version 0.1.1

This update has two major improvements:
    -First off, a huge thanks goes out to Slavas who took the time to explain how the hell those damned fractional framerates work. Because of this, I've fixed the way NSVx detects these, and now it can detect any framerate no matter what kind it is. Because of this, the StreamVideo function won't accept a framerate from you anymore since it doesn't need to. Thanks again Slavas.
    -Basic title streaming. You can now pass along a Title when you call the StreamVideo function and NSVx will update the Title information on the server. In the next version, I hope to make it so that NSVx updates the title without you telling it what to say. If you don't supply a title, it'll get it out of the NSV header or use the filename if no headers are available.

Minor change:
    -You now tell NSVx the listener port rather than the service port of the Shoutcast server. Nearly all NSV programs have you enter the listener port so I figured it'd be easier if thats what NSVx accepted.

DOWNLOAD HERE
    NSV downloads

Comment

• slavas
      Major Dude
      • Apr 2003

looked today, few suggestions if possible split Setup() into main - address,port,pass and generic icy stuff. Probably use AnsiString instead of Widestring(=unicode?)

icy headers - aim,icq,etc probably would be easier to pass as single string like "96398163\nN/A\nblah", because lot of them are optional
      http://slavo.gigas.googlepages.com/

Comment

• ken52787
        Major Dude
        • Aug 2003

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about splitting Setup() earlier, but was too lazy. Now that someone else suggested it, I'll actually do it.

As for the ICY headers, I think its best as seperate strings because VB pops up a tooltip that shows you what to enter. You don't need to fill it entirely out, leaving blanks works.

There was a bug or two that I need to fix anyway, so I'll see if I can't get another update out tomorrow.
        NSV downloads

Comment

• thetron
          • Dec 2004

Could people stop making ActiveX stuff and start making Java applets. :Hold firefox flag high:

Comment

• slavas
            Major Dude
            • Apr 2003

thetron: it has nothing todo with browsers, it's component for developing sourcers
            http://slavo.gigas.googlepages.com/

Comment

• thetron
              • Dec 2004

Still doesm't matter

Comment

• KXRM
                Moderator Alumni
                • May 2000

of course it does! When developing a win32 app it is far easier to integrate an activex object then java.

If you want a java control for your browser that plays the stream to your listeners then you are barking in the wrong thread.
                -Jay | Radio Toolbox.com

Comment

• ken52787
                  Major Dude
                  • Aug 2003

I don't think thetron understands. ActiveX in this sense has absolutely nothing to do with browsers or the internet.

If I wanted, I could change a few options have this be an EXE. However, that wouldn't do any good as you couldn't incorporate it in your programs easily. If I compiled it as an EXE rather than ActiveX, would you still suggest I make it in Java?

Anyways, I will release a new update in a few days.
                  NSV downloads

Comment

• Smelter
                    Major Dude
                    • Jan 2004

This is great!

Has anybody asked about "live encoder" compatability?

I always wanted to make a live VJ set up and this tool is killer. the live encode capability would be the icing on the cake.

Comment

• ken52787
                      Major Dude
                      • Aug 2003

Smelter, the next version may have something you'd like. Keep an eye out
                      NSV downloads

Comment

• retrostation
                        • Oct 2003

cant download now, is there an update?
                        Waiting anxiously.

Comment

• ken52787
                          Major Dude
                          • Aug 2003

Yea, I'm having some troubles with my website ATM. Here is a direct link for you: http://nsv.no-ip.com/e107_files/downloads/NSVx.zip

Haven't had time for the update, but it's coming soon.
                          NSV downloads

Comment

• retrostation
                            • Oct 2003

looking forward to it...
                            very very nice so far. If i can help, let me know.

can the features be applied to nsvgui and have the one app running?
                            Last edited by retrostation; 5 March 2005, 20:13.

Comment

• TEC_Ghost
                              • Jun 2006

Is there any new frontier on this App with Live Streams? Im codeing a new Front end for Streaming in VB, but I thought itd be cleaner to have all the stuff done inside the program instead of just covering up the NSVenc.

Comment

Working...
                              X