Windows Palladium, the end of privacy as we know it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slacker52
    • Mar 2002

Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
    I think that too many people are blowing this out of proportion.
    if this sticks strictly to business, then i see no problem. if this goes to the pulic computers, then i think its not blown far enough out of proportion.

Comment

• spiderbaby1958
      Major Dude
      • Aug 2002

Well, I agree with Mr Baggins. Let's not make too much of this. Bill Gates would have to be incredibly greedy, delusional, evil and egomaniacal to think he could pull off such a thing...hmmm... Oh, shit!

OF COURSE they want to control everything! Is there anyone here who ISN'T named after a Hobbit who is surprised at this? It was only a matter of time before they would try to turn our PC's into telescreens, charging us exorbitant prices for our own enslavement. I think one of two things is going to happen:

1) Either the Microsaurus has finally bit off more than it can chew, and is taking its first lumbering steps toward extinction, or

2) The web community is going to split into two discrete communitites: the official, Microsoft community, and the wilder, unregulated web where all the good stuff happens. As for myself, I have decided: f**k Microsoft. (Hey there's something wrong with my keyboard, let me try that again FUCK MICROSOFT! (There, that's better.) Lately, I've been thinking of dabbling in Linux, but now I'm planning on making Mandrake Linux my primary OS, the sooner the better.

Some people are stupid. Computer people are not stupid. No individual in their right mind is going to install this filth into their computer, but some businesses certainly might, because businesses want to regulate communication. The thing is: individuals don't need to communicate with businesses to survive, but businesses need to communicate with indivduals to survive. If we can't use our our Macs and our Linux computers to order from Amazon.com., Amazon is the one that's going to starve to death. We're just to have to drive to Barnes and Noble, that's all. We have the power to say no to this, and if we don't, we deserve whatever we get.

Comment

• andyr0ck
        • Aug 2002

so what?

so what? don't buy it, then. i know i won't be. if i had to, i would keep using the system i have that doesn't have that crap as a part of it. i would also keep using an old OS, or one that didn't incorporate such rubbish. there is always a choice. people don't need a 3 Ghz P4 but they still buy them. something like this may put a price on older tech; older CPU's and motherboards.

i think people vastly underestimate their power to make a difference simply by refusing to buy sh1t and it's time we woke up to that fact before we lose that power. similar to voting, i suppose.

Comment

• andyr0ck
          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by spiderbaby1958
          Well, I agree with Mr Baggins. Let's not make too much of this. Bill Gates would have to be incredibly greedy, delusional, evil and egomaniacal to think he could pull off such a thing...hmmm... Oh, shit!

OF COURSE they want to control everything! Is there anyone here who ISN'T named after a Hobbit who is surprised at this? It was only a matter of time before they would try to turn our PC's into telescreens, charging us exorbitant prices for our own enslavement. I think one of two things is going to happen:

1) Either the Microsaurus has finally bit off more than it can chew, and is taking its first lumbering steps toward extinction, or

2) The web community is going to split into two discrete communitites: the official, Microsoft community, and the wilder, unregulated web where all the good stuff happens. As for myself, I have decided: f**k Microsoft. (Hey there's something wrong with my keyboard, let me try that again FUCK MICROSOFT! (There, that's better.) Lately, I've been thinking of dabbling in Linux, but now I'm planning on making Mandrake Linux my primary OS, the sooner the better.

Some people are stupid. Computer people are not stupid. No individual in their right mind is going to install this filth into their computer, but some businesses certainly might, because businesses want to regulate communication. The thing is: individuals don't need to communicate with businesses to survive, but businesses need to communicate with indivduals to survive. If we can't use our our Macs and our Linux computers to order from Amazon.com., Amazon is the one that's going to starve to death. We're just to have to drive to Barnes and Noble, that's all. We have the power to say no to this, and if we don't, we deserve whatever we get.
          just saw this post. exactly what i'm getting at! exactly. THEY need us, not the other way around. we'll not die without windows 2005, but Bill'll be buggered without our cash. it's an interesting idea; two internets, completely separate from each other. i know which one i'll be a part of:-)

Comment

• spiderbaby1958
            Major Dude
            • Aug 2002

We can't count on the U.S. government to stop this thing, even if it attempts to cast the Microsoft monopoly in cement. The Bush administration is obsessed with the control of information, and they're going to love Palladium. It isn't Microsoft Corp. that's going to control what's on our computers, it's the government. Bill's just going to sell us all the software and hardware.

On the other hand, the internet is the only media that isn't controlled by the six corporations that now control the media, and they WILL make a grab for it. Count on it.

Comment

• UnityWithoutMS
              • Aug 2002

I think M$ is able to do something like it u know
              and when this is getting reality Ill download all i can get and remove myself from "the world"
              then i'm just going to play my LAN games, and go on programming.

Comment

• Snaphoo
                • Aug 2002

Overreaction...

First of all, these cries of "THERE ARE GONNA BE 2 INTERNETS" is kinda useless, since that already exists (u know what i'm talking about, if not, try surfing IRC...) Furthermore, frankly, the federal circuit will burn Gates at the stake for this. Even if they don't, the internet underground will easily be able to cloak programs so that they will be undetectable or disguise them as file types different from what they are (check out the software Camoflauge, it's similar to what I'm talking about.) Also, remember, if Microsoft servers can't contact your computer, they can't monitor it, riiight? That's why you would get your firewalls to disallow Microsoft servers from getting axx to your comp. I mean, many may disapprove, but the internet underground will make sure Microsoft won't be able to take down the internet that easily. Not by a long shot. Anyways, it still is scary for mainstream users, but hey, if all does go that badly, we can always just resort to Linux... (I am pretty sure Mac will follow suit if Microsoft can pull this off, so I'm not going there)

Comment

• snitzh
                  • Aug 2002

AMD & Intel

AMD and Intel havent signed exclusive deals to produce only pal compatiable chips they can still produce normal ones. Microsoft is taking a leap of faith really and i doubt it will pay off. If a pal system really wont talk to a non pal web server then anyone with pal is screwed cause 95% of web servers are running unix and 100% are run by comp lit people who know what they're doing and wont be "upgrading" to pal anytime soon even if they use a server version of win2k or xp at the current time. Even an un-comp lit person will quickly figure out whats going on when they call microsoft to ask why there mp3s wont work and get told that they're not legal. When they respond that they ripped them off a CD they own the tech rep will be forced to say "of sorry well windows pal couldn't tell that ur gonna need to rip em again" (which will mean buying a 50 buck ripping program cause shareware & freeware wont work) they will decide that its better to put there old os back on their system. AMD & Intel will have avoided lock-in deals cause if microsoft wants to sink itself thats fine with them but they dont wanna go down with em. They know if they're locked into pal systems some other chip company (probably motorola) will coem along and make non pal chips which everyone will buy to put their linux systems on (POWER TO LINUX!). The only way pal work is if everyone starts using it and doesn't quit and thats not happening anytime soon. Oh and u gotta rember that pal wont know the differance between copying between systems and copying a file localy so unless u dont have the right to copy files with copyrights on ur own system u can still trade mp3s and crap aslong as they were ripped on a pal system. oh and this thing about not beingable to build applications that use microsoft's file formats is crap. U cant copyright a file format (basically what they are trying to do) its just one of those things u cant copyright (well unless they changed somethin) otherwise people like microsoft would have done it along time ago. /me goes away to rest hands in bowl of cold water

Comment

• slacker52
                    • Mar 2002

maybe you cant copyright a format, but i believe you can copyright the encoders\algorithims and such. and those are needed for the format. if im wrong please correct me

Comment

• Twinsen
                      • Aug 2002

It's easy...

Just do NOT install that fuckin' OS.

And... Most people doesn't have Internet access, so how the hell will your OS talk to the server asking for the executable if it's *legal* or not?
                      Tell me Twinsen: did you find something to cure the Dino-Fly?

Comment

• JustSomeOni
                        • Aug 2002

snitzh: Theres a reason why you cant save files in gimp as *.gif. Doing so would violate some sort of copyright. Compuserve (AOL) owns the encoding algorithim.

If Pal. turns out to be what everyone is talking about, then consider me a Linux user. I'd better start reading up...

Heh if paldium controls everything, then my computer parts will jump in value 10 fold.

Comment

• spiderbaby1958
                          Major Dude
                          • Aug 2002

That's right. Time to go beyond windows.

You know, it doesn't really matter if palladium is the end of privacy or not. Clearly the technology is a step in that direction, and the next time Osama gets lucky, the government might be quite willing and able to take us the rest of the way. We need to think about the future. I don't know a damned thing about Linux, but it's obvious that I'm going to have to make the effort. Why would anybody NOT be pro-linux and antiwindows? Paying 300 dollars to the world's richest man is a good thing because... ??? Letting Bill Gates dictate to us how we can run our computers is a good thing because...???

Do we want the future to be open source, where everyone can contribute and profit, or do want a big windows logo stamped on the future?

I just read in CNET about how microsoft is bankrolling a lobbying group that is trying to stop the trend toward adoption of open source OS's by governmenmts trying to save money. They're calling it the coalition for choice or some such thing. How's that for corporate doublespeak? Microsoft lobbying for choice is like Jerry Falwell lobbying for gay rights.

Comment

• laz9999
                            Major Dude
                            • Jun 2001

Originally posted by JustSomeOni
                            snitzh: Theres a reason why you cant save files in gimp as *.gif. Doing so would violate some sort of copyright. Compuserve (AOL) owns the encoding algorithim.
                            speaking of gimp, I ahve it for the PC, but it will not even let me save it in its won format, the .xfc one. The version on my old pc had it, but not the I downloaded. Any way around this or do i have to go back to an older virsion for windoze, or get a newer one?

I truly see this as the start of M$ downfall. I mean I will never pay for any M$ OS (and havent yet) So why the hell would I buy something that I have no privacy using it?
                            FUCK YOU M$, Im not taking your shit!

I am trying to learn Linux.. but I have RedHat7, and I hate it. So what is a good one to d/l? Im thinking of mandrake but i d/led teh first 2 cd's of 8.2 then the beta of 9 came out so i stoped. now waiting for 9. any others I should look into?

Comment

• Bizznatch
                              Forum King
                              • Jun 2000

Ok, i just read the first post on this thread and not any others, but If MS releases this OS, or even starts working on it, they will be WASTING a LOT of time and money. If new mobos and CPUs will support this chip NOBODY will buy it, I am fine with my computer right now, it gets good framerate in Quake3 and runs very smooth, there is NO WAY I am gonna upgrade to a PC OR an OS that will just infringe on my rights. And If I cannot access Palladium serves so be it. They dont mean SHIT to me anyways. And i'll just use Windows XP as it is right now.

MS is just wasting its time investing in something they will never be able to control.

Comment

• Bizznatch
                                Forum King
                                • Jun 2000

OK, another thought.

IF and when Microsoft executes this plan of "Digital Signaturing" or whatever. Apple (who does NOT have anything to do with MS) will DESTROY the IBM-type PC. Apple Macintosh computers use a totally different hardware scheme that Microsoft will never control (why would Apple want Microsoft, their main competitor, try to take over them?). All that needs to happen is make generic hardware (mobo's by Asus, Soyo, etc. that are MAC OS compatible) as well as standardizing of Mac hardware. Right now you just simply cannot BUILD your own Macintosh computer, that's Apple's biggest weak point. Make it possible and Microsoft will be bankrupt in no time at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X