Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geodesic
    • Oct 2002

I must admit that at this point, after having used winamp since around 1997 I am probably giving up. This 'squishing' behavior is too much. I am using the v5.581 which at the time of writing was the latest version. So I expect that after a dozen years whatever the program does is what it has been designed to do. While I have liked to listen to some of the online stations and to record from them, or to playback stored music, I generally have used winamp to playback voice recordings and dictations while I transcribe them and edit them into Word. While my primary computer is being fixed, I had had to use an earlier computer and configuration.

No matter what I do, no matter how much I play around with the window settings / docked tool bar, top, floating, auto-hide, top or not - winamp messes with all the other 'non-maximized' windows, and with the desktop icons, squishing them to the bottom of the screen, for whatever reason i cannot tell, and then doesn't return them to the previous state. So if I am trying to dictate to a non-maximized version of word, or if I am working with some non-maximized version of acrobat or some other text reader as I compose some writing, winamp will resize everything, and leave it all unreadable at the bottom of the screen. I know of no other program that does this, and to blame 'the windows os' for this seem disingenuous. What other program demands that any other open, but non-maximized window must be manually resized after each and every time it is used?

If I have the winamp tool bar located say midway down the screen, and I want to access winamp to select a particular audio file, the toolbar jumps to the top of the screen, opens, and squishes all non-maximized programs permanently at the bottom of the page. If I want to continue writing, using the audio as it plays, I am then expected to pull each and every window back up to its position and manually resize them, which is never quite perfect. And this must be done quickly as the audio plays. And winamp doesn't just permanently resize windows, it also *permanently* changes the location of desktop icons. no other program does this.

Why can't there be a 'toolbar' that one can access without it interfering with everything else on the screen? I might point out that lately when I try to even avoid this windowshade mode to see if i can access winamp with alt-tab, pressing the restore/minimize/maximize, and yet this results in winamp seemingly locked to various places on the screen - so I have no choice but to use the windowshade mode and its invasion of all other program's windows. at the moment I am writing, winamp is open in another monitor - so that i can even use my computer to write this - but is locked halfway down the page, can't be moved, can't be resized (and the bottom of the winamp screen is way below the bottom of my total screen. The only choice I seem to have is to maximize winamp or use windowshad mode. What happened. This used to be a good program.

Comment

• geodesic
      • Oct 2002

This has gone beyond windowshade mode. Now, simply turning on winamp - just turning it on, opens a window that pushes (permanently) all icons of the desktop to the bottom, and squished (permanently until manually resized) all windows. Winamp at this point has entered the level of rogue program.

Winamp is a rogue program because of the way it effects programs it should have nothing to do with. It will even squash (permanently until manually resized) the Windows OS Control Panel, since that too manifested in a window. And again, I am simply talking turning winamp on. Now worrying about the task bar - it will always move all the desktop icons and squish all the programs.

Comment

• jimjulian
        • Sep 2018

Just for the record, the year is 2018, and I'm having the same problem.

Comment

• jimjulian
          • Sep 2018

I just found a solution to the problem.

Window settings:
          Auto-hide

The key is to not maximze Winamp, and then shrink the bottom, leaving an inch or so at the bottom of the Winamp window. Then the existing opened windows, minimized or not, will not be squashed/resized. The full width of the screen can be used, just not the full height.

Good luck and enjoy.

Comment

• jimjulian
            • Sep 2018

Correction: "I've just found a solution."

Comment

• Danniella
              • Aug 2018

Finally after 8 years it is solved

Comment

• jimjulian
                • Sep 2018

...at least you didn't say "Duh?".

Comment

• jimjulian
                  • Sep 2018

I also found this while searching the archives:

"Using the Bento skin? Options (menu bar) > Window Sizing > uncheck 'Link shade and player width' "

Comment

Working...
                  X