• Show
Clear All
  • garetjax
    Candyass
    (Major Dude)
    • Apr 2001

Skin Browser - http://www.1001skins.com/skins.html
    Author Browser - in progress

Note: I have temporarily removed the forums.
    1001skins.net |
    That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk.

Comment

• Victhor
      Late skinner & Moderator
      • May 2003

Doing good!
      · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• garetjax
        Candyass
        (Major Dude)
        • Apr 2001

Just rebuilt the search...now, on to uploads. The search is very simplistic at this stage. Soon, I will have a slew more of search capabilities built in...but, after I have rebuilt the upload and tidied up some other areas...

1001skins.net |

Comment

• Victhor
          Late skinner & Moderator
          • May 2003

idea for the site (what do you think?):

Interviews with old / historical skins designers, so we can know what they are doing / working on, what´s their thinking about modern music (players and industry in general), about design or whatever they want to talk about.

May be kind of hard to find some of them, but I think people would like to know what happened to designers of classics / good old skins like MMD3, Zen, Invicta, Boom, Peter Clark´s (he is "reachable"), Kameleon (now on iPod/iPad apps development), Blueslaad´s, GeorgeHarrison´s, etc.
          · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• LuigiHann
            Forum King
            • Aug 2003

Oh, that'd be neat

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?

Comment

• ClaireTop
              Banned
              • Aug 2013

Looking forward to seeing the new site.

Comment

• garetjax
                Candyass
                (Major Dude)
                • Apr 2001

Great Idea...I am rewriting the code for 1001. I just didn't like where I was going with the current.

I'm in no rush...I also have every skin ever published with 1001. Many are problematic...in that they do have xml failures with the current version of winamp (modern).

other than this ... you have a great idea vic.

The site will have the following members types:
                -Admin
                -Moderators
                -Skinners
                -User

All skins submitted will automatically process for screenshots (wal, wsz or wml/wcl (bwuahaha))

In any event yes, a great idea.
                1001skins.net |

Comment

• Victhor
                  Late skinner & Moderator
                  • May 2003

Looks like you´re putting your best effort on it! I have a lot of ideas actually, just filtered it to the ones that could give a plus to the site (or a distinctive feature so it´s not just a repository-web).
                  In the same line, (maybe you already think of this..) I think that if those skins you mention could be "repaired" before uploading, it would also be a great addittion to the site, making it unique, a reference for actually working skins, something Deviantart doesn´t have nor winamp.com, which depends on every -usually absent- uploader.. but again, idea may be just nonsense if it´s work for just one guy, let´s hope someone come up willing to help with that.. (I´m not so good at coding, I could try, but I´m afraid I´m not the best bet for it).

Another idea (just a minor thing), what about a space for "hidden gems"? Instead of the classic "featured skins" (or in adittion to), you can have some sort of monthly/weekly article where you feature skins that were somehow ignored when released but still are quite good skins.. the idea is the same as the new "undiscovered" feature of devart but in this case it´s focused on one skin at the time (with a couple of words saying why it is a good skin or what makes it good, etc)..
                  · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• garetjax
                    Candyass
                    (Major Dude)
                    • Apr 2001

Good idea's Victhor - though, to fix them I'd have to have a reference point to which compare...and each winamp modern skin is custom to the developer, scripts and creator that made it. So, unfortunately, it will likely mean that a majority of those skins that are in the database will be dumped in favor of 'working' bases. They will be left in the database and all attempts will be made to have the original author correct the failure of the skin but, it is likely they will be forever lost.

On another note, slow going is all this development...but I am working on it and one day I hope to have a release of some sort.
                    1001skins.net |

Comment

• Victhor
                      Late skinner & Moderator
                      • May 2003

Oouucch, you´re totally right in that, I never thought about how do you determine which behaviour was tried to achieved how..

Talking about database, did you see too much skinner gunk in there? =D
                      · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• garetjax
                        Candyass
                        (Major Dude)
                        • Apr 2001

Not as much as you'd think...the site requirement for submission filtered alot of poo out.
                        1001skins.net |

Comment

• Victhor
                          Late skinner & Moderator
                          • May 2003

I see you´re testing another layout for the site.

One small observation: Maybe "Designers" would be better than "authors" (in the tabs parts) since you´re heading the site in that direction. Although maybe "authors" would be better to contemplate coders too.. maybe "Skinners"? "Artists"?
                          · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• garetjax
                            Candyass
                            (Major Dude)
                            • Apr 2001

PHP Site was hacked...migrating 1001Skins to asp.net 4.5 MVC ~
                            1001skins.net |

Comment

• Victhor
                              Late skinner & Moderator
                              • May 2003

Shit! Did you manage to make some progress on the design at least?
                              · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• garetjax
                                Candyass
                                (Major Dude)
                                • Apr 2001

Very little...I have had to revamp everything from the ground up...With exception the very basic design implementation. With that being said, I've just built search functionality back. Sigh; also many of the skins do not have screenshots. As a result, I'm having to do some tricky server magic...(unzipping and searching for graphics that may exist when their currently does not exist an image and extracting...while not yet perfect; it at least is working).
                                1001skins.net |

Comment

Working...
                                X