View Single Post
Old 21st June 2020, 03:03   #1
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
New computer guts, need video editor

Most of my last computer lasted 12 years, and the hardware is still mostly capable. Working from home got me impatient with video rendering speeds though. Everything else I do on computers was still pretty good on the old setup though.

The computer is now:

Old stuff still being used:

Cooler Master Stacker 810 case (still from 12 years ago; it lacks USB3 and has too many USB2 for new motherboard)
Corsair TX 750 power supply (original from 12 years ago died but warranty got me a new one before it was 5 years old, still using that one.
Samsung 850 Evo SSD (500GB) for booting and programs

Several mechanical HDDs (1TB, 1.5TB, 1.5TB, 2TB, 4TB(hybrid), 8TB)
ASUS DVD/LightScribe burner
Other DVD burner (not sure what brand)
All-in-one card reader

New stuff:
ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VIII (x570 chipset) link

AMD Ryzen 3900x (12 core, 24 thread, 3.8-4.6GHz, included decent cooler) link

G.Skill 64GB DDR4 3600 RAM (2 x 32GB) link

EVGA RTX 2060 video card (6GB GDDR6) link
Powered USB hub (since case will be hidden and I need USB stuff handy) link
Wired remote computer power button (since the tower will be in a hard to access place) link
USB extension cord for the powered USB hub link
Pioneer external Blu-Ray/DVD/CD burner/player (w/carry case and software) link

Maybe later I'll post about the retired components because I'd like to get a case and power supply for them to build a secondary computer for them since it's all still pretty good stuff. I now need a good video editor for this system. It is running Windows 10. OpenShot fails to align audio with video too much and all the workarounds/fixes end up failing and wasting massive amounts of time. Adobe is too expensive and you never stop paying since it's subscription based. For now I'm using PowerPoint as a workaround video editor since work paid for it, but using it as a video editor is very time consuming because it's not really meant to be one and you're always doing workarounds to make things work. Anyone have an affordable suggestion for a video editor? Any comments on the new computer? I'm hoping to someday do some Virtual Reality work on it.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote