• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BenBishop
    • Nov 2018

Searching for presets author' s names

Hi

Dear Milkdrop designers, users,

I have a little problem that I can't solve by myself, so I drop a hello and a please help.
    here it is : I have downloaded on this forum the incredible 52k bank of presets for Milkdrop.

No need to say I have already spend hours browsing between fantastic presets made by many, many people. What a surprise to find here so beautiful visualizations, it must have been tons of work for each one to get all this to the level of originality, complexity and crazyness it has reached.
    I liked the exotic, excentric, decadent naming (and sometimes a bit trashy) of some presets, made me think all that work must have meant a great involvment of personnalities (and ego.

I am just still thinking about "the attack of the beast" (can't exactly remember who did this), wich made me laugh a lot. What a crazy design! More than 52000 presets is of course huge, and it will be long time before I can test only a little part of it. This moreover shows how active that community has been working on the project during years, wow.

However, some of them have caught enough my attention and I decided, after asking for some authorisation in a previous post (on the forum) to make music videos with some Milkdrop presets of that bank, under conditions of correct crediting and advertizing, of course.

Here is the problem : the preset I just noticed have no real title or author 's name attached... They are only saves as numbers. So, if someone here can help me to find the authors or redirect me to someone who could know, it would be easier for me to give a fair credit line into the videos.

In this 52000 presets banks, these presets are : 129, 144,153,156,133,184,185,and 111.

I have no other informations on the preset makers, nothing else is written in the title, so please if you have an idea.

Thank you so much.
  • Nitorami
    Major Dude
    • Mar 2008

Hi BenBishop

The beast was one of my earlier works. It was meant to scare the living crap out of you, not to make you laugh. What's wrong with you ?

This system of appending author's names to presets is flawed. It may have worked in the beginning, but with mashups of mashups of mashups, it became unmanageable, even with good will. I recognize my own code quite well and find it in thousands of presets, only a few of them listing my name. No problem with that.

On those presets you mention, with just a number as name: I believe these are from Arturro K, 2010. He was looking for a specific style he could use as DJ, without people noticing it was milkdrop. He published a collection of a few hundred mashups & tweaks of other author's presets, not particularly original, but quite matched as a collection. You'll easily find his original posts, only 13 in total. The attachments however were lost in a forum upgrade together with many others.
    Anyway, he did not use his own name, neither credited the original authors, so why should you bother ?

Comment

• BenBishop
      • Nov 2018

Hi Nitorami,

Thank you very much for having taken time to answer, which is gold info to the newbie I am.
      I am learning everyday about Milkdrop because I started to use it more than lately (ah, u right..after everybody, ok....). Anyway, I am very pleased to understand that this forum is a place where it is still possible to have contacts with the Milkdrop designers.
      I am a musician and have very little knowledge about visualizers, coding, or any know-how to do with that area of creation. So, my presence here is just leaded by one word : respect.

As far as "the beast" is concerned, well, absolutely sorry to disappoint you , I suppose I am kinda non conventional personnality (I won't go further...not the place..), since one strong "out of the line" experience changed my way to see things about almost everything, I am often laughing at things supposing to be frightening (unless they re actually dangerous, of course, I am not that crazy... I nevertheless admit that fears (and desires..) are the 2 nipples of global culture shaping, and your beast is an incredible design work for a visualizer, actually amazing...

The author's names appending system should have worked for a time..sure. I can understand the circumstances which led to kinda chaos in the preset registry. I could read some preset names composed of full sentences, dealing with...what the fuck!...those guys are crazy! haha, sometimes it's funny, or scaring, or disturbing, outrageous, or...romantic, or too much personnal to be written here, or whatever, in one word, chaos. That is not making things easier to find the original author. My obsession to find the original author is due to the need to correctly crediting people who are involved in those designs, because I am currently working on videos for the music I am producing (i am not a DJ, but an electronic music composer since 1998, see archimeme.bandcamp.com), including Milkdrop visuals. That's the serious part of me. I want to be able to credit in a loyal way, and resilient too.That means including author's names inside the videos and in the description (so still appearing if the video would be embedded somewhere else than my YT. ), and this is not easy to find real names when you have only a number. I believe crediting is not an option.
      You gave me a name : Arturro. ok, thank you for this info. I am going to try to find his 13 posts and try to contact him if that is possible.
      I would have a question : does the tone you use speaking about him supposes that this guy hasn't be able to respect original creator's work with not writing the names in the titles of presets? I can understand that would be kinda embarrassing, especially for original code creators.
      I am not that kind of guy.. I will always do my possible to be respectfull with the work of others, for a good reason, I wouldn't want others to do crap with mine. I actually think that the original code used by this guy to create personnal preset should be credited properly, that's the reson why i asked for help. If I can't do something else, i may be would credit this guy, but if I can credit the code creator or original designer, it seems to be far more honnest to me.

If you are absolutely sure that a noname credit should be a better solution, I can do this but it is not my first choice.

Anyway, thanks again, and please, Nitorami, would you remind me of your name as milkdrop designer, i am not sure (and not experienced enough here) to see who you are in the Mildrop team.
      Hope i am not anoying with all my blabla. All this is very funny. Thank you for the time spend here.
      Musically, Benoit

Comment

• BenBishop
        • Nov 2018

oh yes Nitorami/Martin, of course

Comment

• Nitorami
          Major Dude
          • Mar 2008

Hi Ben
          choosing a login name different from the author's name was possibly not my best idea, but my proper name was already taken so I came up with something similar.

sometimes it's funny, or scaring, or disturbing, outrageous, or...romantic, or too much personnal to be written here
          Yes. When I first discovered milkdrop and it took me to trance, I felt quite a mystic aura around the preset's names. Twelve years later, that is rather gone.

Arturro. ok, thank you for this info. I am going to try to find his 13 posts and try to contact him if that is possible.
          Extremely unlikely. He never showed up again.

I would have a question : does the tone you use speaking about him supposes that this guy hasn't be able to respect original creator's work with not writing the names in the titles of presets?
          I guess he simply did not bother.

If you are absolutely sure that a noname credit should be a better solution
          Some don't respect the etiquette, and it's up to you how to deal with that.

Cheers
          Martin

Comment

• BenBishop
            • Nov 2018

Hi Martin,

Everything's crystal clear.

I'm just going to credit in the best way possible.

By the way, I came back yesterday to Milkdrop visualizer, and found 2 or 3 alternative presets for "the attack of the beast. The first one I was dealing with previously was named simply "the attack of the beast". During my Milkdrop "session", this time, I have been impressed (hehe, things change) by "attack of the beast (1)". It is possible that I could have a special track, that would, according to me, match with it. I could make a cool (and scary )video with that, but I think it would be fair if you see it, so you could approve it or not, before any kind of upload.
            If you agree, I could just send you a temporary link to preview. If you disagree, absolutely no problem, the idea will go in a drawer, for an eternal rest.

As far as the other videos (I am currently working on with some Milkdrop code) are concerned, I am going for sure to give the upload link here, when they will be finalized. There too, if someone see a problem (I have understand there should not be, but), just explain why and I will do the necessary corrections.

Thanks for all your precisions, this helps a lot.

regards, Ben.

Comment

• BenBishop
              • Nov 2018

Hi Martin,
              the videos have been uploaded in my YT : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8U...EfE6FH1wOYwPLg

regards.Ben

Comment

• Tranceducer
                • Jan 2019

Hi Nitorami/Martin.

Proud to report the attack of the Beast makes a special appearance every time I do a slot at this annual outdoor gig we do at the height of summer here in New Zealand, way out in the country on a riverbank with a huge cliff as a screen. The gig is called TANIWHA'S DEN. A Taniwha is a powerful mythical demigod beast that lives in the water according to Maori legend and is usually far from benevolent.
                And yes it does freak the hell out of some people at 2am (eternal) depending on their state of mind. Sunset over the river and night in the forest are also a great fit.
                I'm so pleased you are still popping out presets as you're my favourite preset author. I'm gonna have a hunt through your posts and collect up this last years *.milk's to add to the collection.
                Milks are just one layer in several that get mixed up together using old school vision mixers, hands on button pushing, scrubbing and lever action.
                It's an art that I don't practice much these days, I started in the 90's and I'm usually bathing the kids and making school lunches instead of thinking about VJ setups.

Any way, just wanna say thanks for keeping the faith and supplying such great material.

Comment

• Nitorami
                  Major Dude
                  • Mar 2008

Hi Tranceducer
                  Thanks for the report. I KNEW, that someone would finally show my presets on a riverbank cliff on the other side of the world, emulating a malicious ... what ? Taniwha. That was SO predictable

I would imagine that pixies party is also quite impressive on a cliff wall. Try it out !

Cheers
                  Martin

Comment

• hatecubed
                    • Sep 2016

Hahaha... brilliant. I am excited to know that I'll finally be using MilkDrop in a public setting, quite soon, at a small but dedicated gig in my hometown of Perth, Australia. I, too, have grand plans for Attack Of The Beast - what is it about this part of the world?! (and a huge thanks to Martin!)

Comment

Working...
                    X