View Single Post
Old 8th November 2011, 04:33   #6
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Quote:
Originally Posted by fc*uk View Post
I honestly still don't know what you are looking for.
I'll try an example:

Let's suppose you have two different audio cards from completely different manufacturars with completely and totally different chipsets. Now lets suppose that while the oscillator of one actually runs at 44100.02 and the oscillator of the other actually runs at 44099.9998 even though they're supposed to run at a perfect 44100. Now lets also toss in Virtual Audio Cables that have their timing CPU at 44100.00001. Now lets say you connect everything together on the software side (like the audio repeaters or some other patching/mixing software), Card 1 --> Virtual Cable --> Card 2. What happens is after a while (I think about 2 or 3 hours) the data from/to one device either start to accumulate (overrun) or runs out (underrun) to/from the other card and causes your audio to go all to hell in a handbasket because everything isn't perfectly and totally 100% running at the exactly precise rate. That rate is what I would like to be able to tweak somehow at the hardware level, either with a physical knob on the device or via the device drivers.

I hope this example clears your confusion.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote