View Single Post
Old 29th October 2012, 20:50   #12
Xennex

Quote:
in the first folder i suggested, you could continue to break it down, so like this:

..\audio\music\FLAC\..
and
..\audio\music\mp3\..

it would not be a problem to do that.
Yeah... then I'd have /mp3/, /flac/, /flac-archive/ and /mp3-dupes/.

I also sometimes would like to be able to traverse the folder hierarchy of course.

Then I'd end up with

/audio/albums/mp3/
/audio/albums/flac/
/audio/flac-archive/
/audio/mp3-dupes/

That'd be annoying, another level to the hierarchy. So I'll just do

/audio/albums/....
/audio/flac-archive/
/audio/mp3-dupes/

For some reason I prefer to keep a distinct collection on disk called "flac-archive" where I'll put the 'backups' of my CDs. Then most of those folders end up in the main /albums/ structure as well. I have a backup of the entire thing on a second external harddisk.

I've always been very fond of Unix softlinking, at least, when it's done in anything of an automated way. If Windows supported softlinking, I would just keep the flac folders in /flac-archive/ and then link to those folders from the /albums/%genre%/ hierarchy like this:

/albums/piano/elijah bossenbroek - harmony in disarray [2004, flac]/ ->
/flac-archive/elijah bossenbroek - harmony in disarray [2004, flac]/

Then on disk it would be a single folder, but it would be accessible from two locations.

In fact, if it were automated, one could also dump all flac albums and all mp3 albums into single folders /flac/ and /mp3/ and then link to those locations from the /albums/%genre%/ hierarchy. It is very powerful, but hard to maintain. A jukeboxing software could create any kind of softlinking hierachy based on tags, in any way it would wish, without moving files - thereby making useful directory structures that could then be harnessed by other software based on the available file structure. You would set up all tags and genres, setup a naming hierarchy/structure, hit a button and presto - a complete beautiful organised directory hierarchy. You would have file hierarchies that would exactly and precisely mirror the metadata of the collection. That would empower users to use file-based traversing and copying whenever they liked it, in the way that they like it.

Well, I guess we do it the other way around. We organize music into a hierarchy and then obtain tags from that, or just ignore the hierarchy altogether.

If this design existed, I would probably organise all albums into an initial letter hierarchy like /a/autumn's glow, /b/blimey!, with flac and mp3 together, and then use the virtual hierarchy metadata system to split that hierarchy into something that would be useful for Winamp.
Xennex is offline   Reply With Quote