Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex View Post
You seem pretty angry.
only pretty?

Quote:
You made the ALBUM ARTIST distinction clear now. Personally I feel "ALBUM ARTIST" is an odd appearance because it's the only tag (frame) that has a space in it, within the vorbis list of comments. Maybe you're right and I should go to great lengths to preserve it, but time will tell.
well, the thing is if your files DON'T use it with the space, then later if you use winamp to edit it, it will add the frame with the space, and leave the orig frame and data intact. in winamp, everything will look fine, but in other apps, like mp3tag, you'll wonder whats going on. (this is a problem in many apps, not just winamp)

Vorbis has no proper spec, so with or without is an ongoing issue. neither one is right or wrong, but it would be nice if there was a de facto standard set by the major apps. its annoying that they work at cross purposes. (personally, i like with the space, but i would accept either as long as it was universal)

Quote:
About SqueezeBox, yes it appears to suck. The main reason it sucks is that you can't push (stream) music to it from a laptop device, thereby completely splitting the functionality you need, which is either library access, or youtube fun.
thats one of my beefs with it; it should be a remote soundcard if you will, allowing any app to play to it. instead it requires you install a BS server to play only with it, and thru it, to the hardware.

it does provide remote library access though, you can use android or istuff to remote control it.

it also does have some (weakish) DLNA support, and the ability to allow an app to "tune into" it as if it were a shoutcast DNAS.

but there are far better solutions out there for any of that.

Quote:
If you could do that, it would function as AirPlay, but I assume Apple is barring the gates to the apple cart located within the palace garden. So if I get it, I will still need Airport Express (which I don't want for the same reasons as you), or to get a bluetooth dongle and receiver, or to draw a rather longish cable to my netbook wherever I am. The bluetooth will have degraded audio quality since there are only (cheap) solutions with analog audio out for the receiver.
for what you pay to buy a touch or any of that audio only SB stuff, you could just get a laptop with a HDMI out. its purpose would be to sit, lid down, in the TV cabinet, and play audio or video. install winamp on it, and remote control it with android.

use remote desktop to do video or whatnot.

Quote:
Logitech Media Server is indeed not great to use from the webservice point of view. But if my netbook is running, I won't use that anyway and bypass the SB. There seem to be control apps for iPhone/android, but it is still confined to accessing whatever you have put into the LMS library, which is rather unflexible and indeed, not very fun.
painful! i hate it.

if you just want something to do random mixes, and some control on your phone, its good enough for that. but thats about it.

Quote:
The reason for me to get the Touch is that I have long yearned for a way to get information about what is currently playing withOUT having to open a display or run a computer. A way to see album art. You can bet my netbook will be closed when not operating it.
i can see album art and control winamp on my phone using the aWAR droid app, (there are more apps than that but i like that one). no need to have a computer display on. and the computer can do winamp visualizations on the TV as well, (or not). obviously, it can just do audio when run into a receiver.

Quote:
Any tablet or phone I might have would either directly operate the SB or stream directly to the bluetooth.
i don't follow this... where or why would u use bluetooth?

Quote:
The fact that these two things would get totally split is the most unfun part of it to me.
?

Quote:
I didn't know SB was a dying brand. My sincere apologies ;-). On the WhatHifi forums, people seem to recommend them without distinction, so to say. In any case, the solution I have now, which is to run a cable to my netbook (actually I'm not doing that now because the cable I bought is too short and the other cable is low quality analog) is not THAT great of a solution either. What I wanted to get is a usb soundcard/dac with optical output and then run that to my receiver or DAC. It's not very flexible, and I'd be having to stick a usb device into my netbook, which is not very fun. But I'm thinking now the best solution is to get that usb thing and then to run an analog cable to my receiver.
what inputs does your receiver have?

why not just get a little laptop/netbook with digital/HDMI outs?

Quote:
I never found the Squeezebox Boom fun to use. It's a horrible user interface, even when some reviewers call it "intuitive". I would rather walk to my living room to use the Logitech server from a webbrowser, rather than use that horrible menu structure.

I believe the death of Squeezebox was spelled when Logitech acquired it.

I'm hoping the SB ecosystem will survive... for home use. It's development should be in the hands of independent devs. That's the kind of product it is.
the main problem with it, as i see it, is that other cheaper solutiuons are better.

Quote:
But I have no alternative currently. I can get bluetooth/analog speakers, sure. For the Boom. That would be excellent, then I can operate those speakers with my netbook. For the bedroom I need something that can handle bluetooth and minijack. Currently the Boom does the analog part, which is enough for now.
i'm not sure i follow you here either. what do you need to accomplish in the bedroom? seriously tho, what audio goals do you have there?

you could get a small laptop, hook it up to your receiver, and run winamp and server on it. then let the boom work as it is supposed to. (assuming the laptop can be hardwired to the router, another not fun thing).

Quote:
For the living room I need something more. Tablet running Winamp streaming from the network harddisk seems would need bluetooth to connect to my Hifi. But the netwerk harddisk I was going to buy can connect to a USB sound card that would be able to connect via optical to my Hifi. Then I can operate it via a tablet. That might be a much better solution in the end.
just to be clear, i do not advocate bluetooth for most things, except niche stuff. anytime i said to run winamp on a laptop or tablet, i meant on a full OS, not droid.

i use a droid just to remote control it, thats all. winamp on the droid could play via bluetooth, but thats not how i'd setup my home situation. (bluetooth isn't much better than airplay for audio quality)

Quote:
Thank you for your consideration. I need to get hands-on experience with Android before I decide on anything. I have an Android phone coming in within a few weeks, so that'll be the test. I'm going to be checking out USB dacs that support optical output for use with the Synology DiskStation.
i don't know why you want to do a USB DAC? doesn't your receiver have any digital inputs? if it does, just get a good laptop/netbook instead of a touch, and you'll enjoy it so much more.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote