X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chuckjmoore1991
    • May 2014

Ideas on what the new Winamp should be like

I posted some screen shots on how the new non-AOL Winamp should resemble the Amazon Cloud Player desktop app. I'm excited that MusicBrainz is a candidate for song metadata.

The first screen shot would show the Get info button lightened meaning Winamp matched the song(s) with an AcoustID fingerprint that is linked to a MusicBrainz recording.

The second screen shot would show the Get info button darkened meaning Winamp can't match the song(s) with an AcoustID fingerprint or the fingerprint isn't linked to a MusicBrainz recording. If you want that/those song(s) in your library to be identified, I prefer you use MusicBrainz Picard to add the release (if not available) to MusicBrainz, and send the release (once available) to Picard to tag your audio files. Once your files are tagged, go ahead submit fingerprints. (By the way, you need to create a MusicBrainz account to submit to the Database.

The third screen shot would show after the Get info button was clicked on Info already matches catalog. If you feel the info needs updating, I suggest like I said above to create a MusicBrainz account to update any songs in their catalog.

Some of you may have a problem with the Autotag option being only available for one song or album at a time. I believe anyone who doesn't have the time to update song/album metadata at a time should have the option to check "automatically update all songs with MusicBrainz metadata", meaning once an AcoustID is available and linked to a MusicBrainz release, song metadata will be updated. Though AcoustID takes a lot of pride making sure their fingerprinting service is accurate, they're still not perfect. By default, "the update a songs..." will be unchecked.

The option to choose what release type your songs should matched to would also be great.

These are ideas on what the new Winamp should be like. I would like to hear what you think of my ideas and what you would like done differently.
    Attached Files
  • DrO
    • Sep 2003

as we already provide single file and multi-file auto-tagging, that has to be maintained and going only via the alt+3 dialog is not a realistic option e.g. auto-tagging an album is a very reasonable thing to want to do with multiple files.

as for the suggestions, i've already some ideas on what can be done without being too drastic for how things are already done i.e. not to alienate existing usage habits vs improving usability - such as not having the silly pop-out dialog which the auto-tagger used to do when doing it via the alt+3 dialog and having it done in a more integrated manner.

but making Winamp in general like the amazon player is a really bad idea. sure you can approximate some things via a different skin, the point is Winamp is different from other players for those who don't like the main stream drivel. and having had to use it briefly yesterday, it might be fine if you're the type used to the iTunes style of things, but it's playlist handling is just dire and took me a while to realise where the playlist i created as a test was accessible in the UI (and people say Winamp's ui is bad - there's a clear 'playlist' section to find things).

the new Winamp will be based on the existing Winamp but with relevant fixes, etc as needed (maybe there will be a new default skin as well or not, that's to be seen) along with reviewing some areas and trying to stream-line things where possible whilst not dumbing things down too much for those who want something they can tinker with (which is a bit of a mix but that's generally how Winamp users seem to be). and there'll probably be a bit more of a focus on streaming (what with Radionomy's native focus on streaming services).

so there will probably be things that some will love, things that some will hate and things that most will be indifferent about (because it's not 2.x, heh). either way we're really trying not to mess up the ideas behind Winamp and hope that when a new version is released, it will be taken as a worthy update (especially for some of the parts that have to be replaced post-AOL).
    WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

• synthetiq
      • Nov 2004

Would love to use winamp in my car as well my home TV!

Comment

• DrO
        • Sep 2003

for that, you'd need something like an Android version.

Comment

• Victhor
          Late skinner & Moderator
          • May 2003

Just as a curiosity... My car has a Media nav system, which is quite arcaic in its UI actually, but I've found out it has a Windows CE behind.. strange uh? Wonder if Radionomy thought of this kind of cars when said they wanted Winamp in cars or if they'll go with the Android / iOS style (which needs all sort of arrangement with automotives before even starting to think on implement it)..
          · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• DrO
            • Sep 2003

considering everything that's been in the press recently about in-car platforms, it'd probably make sense to wait a bit to see what platform(s) gain traction.

Comment

• Satuim
              • Jan 2014

I would love to use winamp in my car as long as it doesn't display distracting ads on the drivers windows...
              Hey User! Are you using the latest update w/ The latest patches?
              Just check, It won't take too long!

Download v5.666 build 3516
              Download JTFE and in_mp3.dll Updates

Comment

• thevan
                • Aug 2012

Soundcloud support (like Clementine has) would be nice :-)

Comment

• Sabine Klare
                  Forum Queen
                  • Nov 2010

Yes, the support of YouTube and SoundCloud would be very good. We have already discussed about that in another thread, but I would have to search.
                  Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
                  Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
                  AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...

Comment

Working...
                  X