View Single Post
Old 18th August 2008, 02:44   #18
Namelessv1
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Too-DAMN-Much
i think what you missed is, the drive isn't able to read a DVD while it's firmware is being updated (if it's even done in the operating system outside of a console platform) so you'd need to burn the update to a CD or DVD and stick it in a seperate drive to do the update, or did i miss something?
I was referring to the startup and load times (the time it takes it to power on before the player is ready to start reading a disc and the time it takes the player to start playback of the movie once the disc has been inserted) of the current generation of Blu-ray standalone players such as the Philips BDP7200/37 being markedly slow in comparison to the PS3.

Firmware is a separate issue. Because the Philips BDP7200/37 lacks an ethernet port and any other means of connecting to the internet directly, the only method of updating its firmware is by downloading it from the Philips website, burning it to a disc, and then updating the player with it. That is not a big problem. But, the Philips BDP7200/37 nevertheless is not Profile 2.0 compliant. The PS3, on the other hand, because it receives fairly frequent system updates from the Playstation Network, easily made the transition from Profile 1.0 to Profile 1.1 and from Profile 1.1 to Profile 2.0.

I'm not endorsing the PS3 as a Blu-ray player that everyone should go out and buy, because I think $400 is too much for any Blu-ray player, unless you're apart of that niche market of large disposable incomes. I think it would be smarter just to wait for cheaper, faster players that are Profile 2.0 compliant right out of the box. But, if you're actually going to pay $400 for a player right now, the PS3 seems like the better overall investment.
Namelessv1 is offline   Reply With Quote