• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thegood
    • Aug 2008

Error on startup after upgrading to 5.57

Hi,
    I've just updated to 5.57 and now everytime I open Winamp, I get the following error:

Winamp 5.57: winamp.exe - Entry Point Not Found
    The procedure entry point ?ndestring_release@@YAXPA_W@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library nde.dll

It seems like this guy (in the comments) also has that error. Any suggestions? I tried re-running the installer but to no avail.

[Edit --> DJ Egg]

Solution Post #1
    Solution Post #2
    Solution Post #3
  • aptpupil
    • Dec 2009

mine doesn't even give an error message it just goes straight to the vista "looking for solution to this problem" dialog box and then prompts me to close the program.

Comment

• olargues
      • Oct 2007

Such as Aptpupil, freeze with the "looking for solution to this problem"
      Cannot load Winamp and therefore cannot listen to music while I want it to so much, well will go to Deezer in the meantime you provide us a solution.
      Is it possible to revert to 5.56 pro, where can I find the downloadable 5.56 file ?
      I want to aknowledge the hard workd the winamp guys have done, though obviously 5.57 is not working (and so don't feel comfortable enough to perform a clean install or whatever).
      Thank you for your help

Comment

• square pegger
        • Apr 2006

Same problem

I also get the same error dialog box (see attached PNG file). Normally, I upload a zip file containing my_plugin_list.txt, hijackthis.txt, DxDiag Output.txt, and a MediaInfo.txt file for a problem file, but since I did that for this post:

Howzit....Whatzit...what tha...? How to tune up, and keep your Winamp player humming along. Search this Forum to find others who have driven down your road and have advice and tips to help you out.

on 14 December, as well as including additional information concerning my problem, and since I have not received any reply, I'm not going to upload a zip file this time like I normally would.

5.57 is a big flake and should be UNINSTALLED. 5.56 may no longer be supported, but at least it's not causing the problems that 5.57 is.

Hey olargues and everybody else, you can get Winamp 5.56 full at this link: http://filehippo.com/download_winamp/5854/ Look for the button labeled "Download This Version" on the upper right.

I see that my winamp 5.56 link is blocked. Go to filehippo.com, search for winamp, click winamp 5.57 full, then on the winamp 5.57 full page, click winamp 5.56 full on the right side of the page.

Comment

• olargues
          • Oct 2007

Just found a way to go back to 5.56 and it is working just fine.
          Hope you will find a 5.57 solution for all of us !

ps : Thank you Square Pegger

Comment

• Agntx
            • Dec 2009

That's right - Winamp 5.57 is so buggy. Loong wait from 5.56 to get final release 5.57 and here's big disappoint...
            I rolled back to clean 5.56 and spent hour to set everything for me again, because without clean install I had many "msvcrt" errors.
            What a pity - I was waiting so long for Win7 integration and many new functions for PRO useres, and now must wait again to get 100% working version

Comment

• thegood
              • Aug 2008

square pegger,
              Thanks for the potential solution, but it didn't work for me.
              After running the 5.56 installer, Winamp would now start with
              the error message

Winamp 5.56: winamp.exe - Unable To Locate Component
              This application has failed to start because MSVCR90.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

coming up three or four times before the GUI eventually showed up. I tried installing the Visual C++ 2008 Runtime Library (which I thought was the problem), but that didn't work.

So now, I'm back on 5.57, with the annoying ?ndestring_release@@YAXPA_W@Z error at startup. I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only one with this error!

The strange thing is that this error does not appear when Winamp starts after the setup dialog box (where you choose your skin). But it does appear when opening from anywhere else (like a shortcut). Weird...

Comment

• VisualCSharp
                • Jul 2008

I am running Windows Server 2008. The previous version of Winamp works just fine. However, Windows terminates Winamp 5.57 because Data Execution Prevention is detecting Winamp doing some nasty things. Seems like Winamp had some issues with this in Milkdrop a couple of years ago.

Comment

• thegood
                  • Aug 2008

OK guys, I did a clean uninstall/reinstall, and now 5.57 seems to work fine. I don't know what the error was because I was able to restore all the files I cared about without the error coming up. The files I did NOT restore were:

In Program Files\Winamp:

Lang (an empty folder)
                  iPod Transfer Log.txt
                  msvcr71.dll
                  nscrt.dll

In Program Files\Winamp\Plugins:

gen_orgler.dll
                  nscrt.dll
                  pmp_activesync.dll
                  vis_avs.dat
                  vis_avs.dll

In Application Data\Winamp:

Winamp.pic
                  studio.xnf
                  demoedit.aac
                  auth.ini

In Application Data\Winamp\Plugins:

Gracenote (it's a folder)
                  cddiscs.dat
                  cddiscs.idx
                  gen_mud.ini
                  milk2.ini
                  vis_avs.dat

I hope this can help you guys troubleshoot your problem. What I would try to do is delete (or disable by adding ".bak") the files/folders I listed above and see if the problem goes away after each deletion/rename. Just by looking at the list of files I wrote down, I would say it's more likely to be a problem with the dll files (like nscrt.dll or vis_avs.dll), so you could try starting with those.

Or you can do a clean uninstall/reinstall like I did.
                  Howzit....Whatzit...what tha...? How to tune up, and keep your Winamp player humming along. Search this Forum to find others who have driven down your road and have advice and tips to help you out.

Comment

• DJ Egg
                    Spectral Techorator
                    • Jun 2000

Yup, it's because you had gen_orgler.dll and auth.w5s from 5.56,
                    but unchecked Orgler in the 5.57 installer options.

What is Winamp? Why is Winamp? How is Winamp? All these burning questions and issues discussed within.

We've fixed it so, in future, those two files get deleted by the installer if Orgler is unchecked.

The manual fix would be to either:

1. Close Winamp and remove:
                    %ProgramFiles%\Winamp\Plugins\gen_orgler.dll
                    %ProgramFiles%\Winamp\System\auth.w5s

(though the error will go away by just removing old gen_orgler.dll)

Or

2. Reinstall Winamp with Orgler checkmarked on the Choose Components page of the Installer Options.

Playlist | Twitter | Albums

Comment

• Grinandbearit
                      • Apr 2006

use to love winamp - was the cleanest, simplest, least buggy of all music apps. 5.57 does not work for me. Error message is "this application has failed to start because MSVCR90.dll was not found. Re-installing...blah, blah, blah." Well, re-installing does not fix the problem and the dll is located in the winamp folder, as well as in Windows system folder. No time to play around trying to fix this... way, way too busy. Downgrading to 5.56 until the fine folks at winamp get their act together.

Simple is better.

Comment

• square pegger
                        • Apr 2006

The latest download of 5.57, which was fixed 17 Dec 09 or so, seems to work with no problems for me. I did have to revert to my backup copy of winamp.bm (winamp bookmarks) when I uninstalled 5.57 and installed 5.56 to get away from the problems the original 5.57 had.

Comment

• malfidus10
                          • Dec 2009

I've installed the patch, and then tried copying the modified elevatorps.dll file, but Winamp's asking me for UAC confirmation every time it loads. At least it's not crashing any more, but far from ideal...

I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2.

Comment

• DJ Egg
                            Spectral Techorator
                            • Jun 2000

Originally posted by malfidus10
                            I've installed the patch, and then tried copying the modified elevatorps.dll file, but Winamp's asking me for UAC confirmation every time it loads. At least it's not crashing any more, but far from ideal...

I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2.
                            Try unchecking "Restore file associations at Winamp startup" in Prefs -> File Types

Playlist | Twitter | Albums

Comment

• malfidus10
                              • Dec 2009

^ That's sorted it. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X