• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djpete
    Major Dude
    • Apr 2004

Originally Posted by zepper View Post
    This is really sad to hear, Winamp has probably been my most used program over the last 10 years, hope you guys reconsider.

With the latest build we can no longer view file info when running a direct show video, that's very useful to know what codecs are loaded. Is there a setting in preferences to restore that?

Also, right clicking brings up a dark menu, can that be changed to the usual gray color?

If I can't fix these issues I'm back to an older version and that's unfortunate since you're giving up on any future development.
    You can switch off skinned menus too.
    Go to Menu Library/Appearance..uncheck "Use skinned menus"

Oops Dr beat me to it. :-)
    Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
    Winamp Enthusiasts Group

Comment

• Robster400
      • Oct 2007

Well, I must confess I felt a pang of sadness to read this
      I've used Winamp ever since my first 133Mhz pc. I will be sorry to see it go.

Thanks to all who made it great, and DrO for keeping at it in its later years.

Thanks for everything guys, and a huge f-u to AOL.
      Too much is never enough...
      Last.fm

Comment

• zepper
        • Jul 2005

We're back to gray menus, that little crisis has been solved.

With view file info these are .flv and .mp4 videos. On XP I just upgraded today from 5.63 and that was working fine prior but now it isn't. It appears that the new version broke it.

Another problem I just found is that I can't go back or forward with these same videos although again they were all working with the older version. I guess I'll be retiring with 5.63 unless you change your mind.

Comment

• DrO
          • Sep 2003

if you've gone from 5.63 to 5.66, it could be any of the versions in-between where it happened. is there anything specific about the files at issue? or a way to get an equivalent copy to test it out?
          WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

• zepper
            • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by DrO View Post
            if you've gone from 5.63 to 5.66, it could be any of the versions in-between where it happened. is there anything specific about the files at issue? or a way to get an equivalent copy to test it out?
            Sure, download an .flv version of this video and it doesn't work in Winamp:

Comment

• DrO
              • Sep 2003

that's just an in-built feature in Winamp to not show info for rubbish like that will give it a go once i've had some sleep.

Comment

• Atolibus
                • Nov 2000

Wow, 16 years and now it's just vanishing? That kind of... well, blows, really. I suppose I'll throw my two cents in.

A) Why? I think everyone would like the answer to that (and I can't seem to find it myself, strangely).

B) (and this one is more important) Many thanks to everyone who contributed over all of the years, it's been a wonderful go and I've never used anything else. I'll miss it.
                "Don't fear the reaper."

Comment

• djpete
                  Major Dude
                  • Apr 2004

Is this a final build or is there some tweaks to possibly come?
                  I ask because my install had the crash reporter in it and this is usually only installed for betas etc.
                  Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group

Comment

• DrO
                    • Sep 2003

it was changed so the crash reporter is present in all builds mainly for helping to trouble-shoot things with 3rd party plug-ins (when it's able to be loaded as most of the issues so far seem to stem from old input plug-ins) - as it'll still generate crash dumps even if they cannot be sent to the current address (one of the benefits of config options!).

Comment

• xfullmetal17
                      • Nov 2013

I've an obscure bug... If I try to restore from a bottom-docked player, it restores underneath *everything*, including the desktop. If I pull it off the bottom first it's fine. Did the same thing in 5.65, but I never discovered it until the other day when I tried out bottom-dock and liked it.

Also DrO, will your plugin site stay up and running even after Winamp goes?

Comment

• DrO
                        • Sep 2003

Originally Posted by xfullmetal17 View Post
                        Also DrO, will your plugin site stay up and running even after Winamp goes?
                        yes, i fully intend to keep it going (hence bringing things back) and will be doing what i can to keep Winamp going as being a 3rd party developer again will allow me to do.

as i've a slew of 5.66 related plug-in updates to come (did mention it in post #3 in here). just haven't had a moment to update things on my site due to working like a crazy person getting 5.66 done.

Comment

• djpete
                          Major Dude
                          • Apr 2004

yes, i fully intend to keep it going (hence bringing things back) and will be doing what i can to keep Winamp going as being a 3rd party developer again will allow me to do.

as i've a slew of 5.66 related plug-in updates to come (did mention it in post #3 in here). just haven't had a moment to update things on my site due to working like a crazy person getting 5.66 done.
                          That's great news to hear.
                          Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group

Comment

• djpete
                            Major Dude
                            • Apr 2004

Originally Posted by kzuse View Post
                            FULL ACK! This would be the best thing to happen in this sad situation.

I LOVED WINAMP (still love it!!) and used it for the last 16 or 17 years - and I'll continue using it as long as possible but I can't believe this is the end

Many many many thanks to ALL DEVS and all you helpful hands here at the forums.

Thanks in particular for fixing this bug
                            " * Fixed: [gen_tray] Lockup/double-start issues when using the 'Prev' action"
                            after five years or so since I noticed it - fixed with the "final release". Somewhat cynical

I want to thank you AGAIN for everything, Winamp was not only a player, it was a way of understanding "Digital Music" and their organizing, finding, playing etc.,

and I want to wish you all the BEST for the coming years and I hope so much, that there some time will be a future for Winamp (as a Crowdfunding or open source project or the like).

Thank you for Winamp.

- Fabian
                            Can anyone explain in more detail what this bug was?
                            Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group

Comment

• djpete
                              Major Dude
                              • Apr 2004

For me when you mouse over the taskbar icon I only see the first letter of the song playing with this version. Was fine in previous version. Anyone else have this issue.? Happens in XP and Win 7
                              Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group

Comment

• zepper
                                • Jul 2005

that's just an in-built feature in Winamp to not show info for rubbish like that will give it a go once i've had some sleep.
                                That would exclude just about everything I watch.

To make it easier if you're going to check on this it's only .flv files using direct show (ffdshow) that I'm having a problem with. Nothing happens when clicking on "view file info" with any of my dozens of files and they won't go back or forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X