• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thinktink
    Forum King
    • May 2009

Originally Posted by DrO View Post
    hopefully not, is still on my list of things to complete as part of the v5.66 release.
    Thank GAWD...

/em starts sucking Winamp downloads like it's candy...
    | Opus Audio Codec plugins 2.0 | Embedded Album Art | DiskWrite |
    | Save your playlist first! | Live voice-over | X-Fade 2.5 |
    | AterKast (Source DSP) | More of my stuff... |

Comment

• JonnyMac
      • Dec 2000

New release of Winamp =
      News of Winamp =
      Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
      Read the Stickies
      ---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power

Comment

• Koopa
        16-Bit Moderator
        • Apr 2004

But don't forget to check out the 5.66 release as well, instead of only thinking about the bad news.

5.66 has a lot of improvements:

- Classic and Modern Skin prefs were polished
        - Plug-in lists were improved
        - new combi enqueue/play button
        - all library buttons now scale automatically, depending on the font size and length of the strings
        - speed up improvements

Winamp never looked better and more polished than in 5.66!!
        My Winamp Info Report | My Winamp Backup Log | My WACUP Info Report

Own Projects: | Winamp Tray Control Icon Pack v3.5.3 | Winamp Backup Tool v3.6.0 | >> Winamp Info Tool v6.1.0 << |
        German Translations: | Offizielle Deutsche Winamp Sprachdatei v5.66 | Offizielle Deutsche Winamp Sprachdatei Plus Version 5.666
        Useful Winamp Plug-ins: | SNESAmp | 64th Note | NotSo FatSo | Highly Experimental PSF Player | Yar Matey! Playlist Copier v1.12 |

Comment

• d3x7r0
          • Jun 2004

What I'm more curious to know is what happens to the devs. Did you guys get invited to join other projects at AOL?

I'm a bit sad to find out that Winamp is effectively reaching the end of it's development but I'm more curious to know if all you hard working devs are going to be ok.
          NOTE: I am Dextro!

Comment

• DrO
            • Sep 2003

thinktink: will likely need to keep an eye out on things on my site relating to SDK updates.

Originally Posted by JonnyMac View Post
            New release of Winamp =
            which sadly is being missed as this release has had the most going over and fixing of code than any release has had in likely a decade.

d3x7r0: if only i could convert my plug-in development into a business that pays the bills...
            WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

• VIPer
              • Feb 2008

Let me write in Russian...

Для меня Winamp стал частью жизни. Я переводил его на русский язык аж с 2007 года. Очень жаль, что настал этот день. В моей жизни был самый классный день — 20 ноября 2001 года (только я знаю, что значит для меня этот день — прим.). Но, к сожалению, 20 ноября стал для меня и печальным днем в 2013 году.

Comment

• QOAL
                [STILL a retard!]
                • Apr 2002

Sad times.

Thanks everyone involved, you've done well.
                count!last.fmplanner

Comment

• Omega X
                  Forum King
                  • Feb 2003

Originally Posted by Legendarion View Post
                  What's the reason for the ending? Can't find any info about it.
                  Money. Always money. AOL is sinking like the titanic. They should release the source to the community like they did with Netscape.

Comment

• thinktink
                    Forum King
                    • May 2009

Originally Posted by Omega X View Post
                    Money. Always money. AOL is sinking like the titanic. They should release the source to the community like they did with Netscape.
                    Alternatively, AOL could hand Winamp back over to NullSoft or however-that-would-work.
                    | Opus Audio Codec plugins 2.0 | Embedded Album Art | DiskWrite |
                    | Save your playlist first! | Live voice-over | X-Fade 2.5 |
                    | AterKast (Source DSP) | More of my stuff... |

Comment

• djpete
                      Major Dude
                      • Apr 2004

Very sad news. Thanks to all the Developers and forum mods for the work over the years.
                      Surely it can't just stop like this?
                      I agree can't it go opensource?
                      This could be the best thing tio ever happen to it if it does.

It can't stop and I think maybe we should get some sort of petition going or something to ask that it go opensource.
                      Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
                      Winamp Enthusiasts Group

Comment

• Victhor
                        Late skinner & Moderator
                        • May 2003

09?.. 10 - What happens to Nullsoft?? Will it vanish like Winamp too?

PS: It is remarkable, the amount of fixes and improvement made in this release equals at least the next year or so of little updates... I´m proud of it, at least it feels like instead of slowly dissapearing with little sneezes once in a while, Winamp poeple decided to do a great final battery solo. It´s kinda cool if you think about it..
                        · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• kzuse
                          • Oct 2005

They should release the source to the community like they did with Netscape.
                          FULL ACK! This would be the best thing to happen in this sad situation.

I LOVED WINAMP (still love it!!) and used it for the last 16 or 17 years - and I'll continue using it as long as possible but I can't believe this is the end

Many many many thanks to ALL DEVS and all you helpful hands here at the forums.

Thanks in particular for fixing this bug
                          " * Fixed: [gen_tray] Lockup/double-start issues when using the 'Prev' action"
                          after five years or so since I noticed it - fixed with the "final release". Somewhat cynical

I want to thank you AGAIN for everything, Winamp was not only a player, it was a way of understanding "Digital Music" and their organizing, finding, playing etc.,

and I want to wish you all the BEST for the coming years and I hope so much, that there some time will be a future for Winamp (as a Crowdfunding or open source project or the like).

Thank you for Winamp.

- Fabian

Comment

• molecular
                            • May 2013

Украина. / Ukraine

Так как Winamp'ом начал пользоваться с 2000, то много воспоминаний связано с ним)
                            Есть новые плееры, может и лучше, но лично мне, по звуковым характеристикам нравился / нравится Winamp.

Интересует, исходники Winamp станут для всех открытыми?

Comment

• DrO
                              • Sep 2003

Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
                              PS: It is remarkable, the amount of fixes and improvement made in this release equals at least the next year or so of little updates... I´m proud of it, at least it feels like instead of slowly dissapearing with little sneezes once in a while, Winamp poeple decided to do a great final battery solo. It´s kinda cool if you think about it..
                              is good to know that some people are noticing things
                              WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

• Plague
                                f(caffeine){
                                return wasabi;
                                }
                                (Forum King)
                                • Jul 2001

So sad

I got a shock when I received the email today.
                                I've used Winamp on a daily basis since v1.x in the -90's and can't believe it's gonna die.
                                The only right thing to do for AOL is donate the source code, rather than just bury it.
                                It still has alot of potential.

Or at the very least, I would like to finally see a fully working open source Wasabi.player.
                                I know it wouldn't be the same, but if atleast Maki and the rest of the Wasabi codebase could finally be opened up completely, then the community could go from there, although I'm sure Wasabi and "classic" Winamp code is pretty tied together these days so it's probably not feasible.

But still. Something should be salvaged from this. Just hoping the current version runs forever doesn't cut it. We all know that will only last a few years at the very most.
                                Winique work-in-progress (download) | Stargate:Winamp - SG1 Edition | D-Reliction | wasabi.player skin (plague-edit)
                                Winamp3_Default skin (plague fixes) | Opal Redemption | X-Slant | wa2skin.wac

Comment

Working...
                                X