View Single Post
Old 9th June 2019, 19:01   #60
IssaMe

I wished that syntax changes over time were better documented/listed.

I recently revisited MilkDrop after a long hiatus (still trying to get assistence to get my original forum account revived but that's a different story) and before I realized this forum still was live to get some nice presets apart from the included ones, started out by getting the collections from SourceForge and Archive.org. In doing so I discovered these contain a lot of crap/duplicates/malformed/corrupted presets so decided to skim the threads here to get the originals.

To my surprise I found that some presets did absolutely nothing or looked like attempts of a two year old at drawing despite the comments from fellow posters raising the expectation said presets were above average.

Purely by accident I discovered some syntax difference between subsequent releases of the same preset and lo and behold, after applying those same changes to those presets I found to be "broken", these suddenly lived up to the praise given by fellow posters in the respective topics...

e.g. the change from
code:
num_instance
to
code:
num_inst
was an eyeopener. Also it seems that
code:
rand(whatever)
should now be written as
code:
int(rand(whatever))
. Both latter forms I've seen occur in a lot of presets but until now I never knew why... which means I have again a shitload of work ahead of me going through all presets and adjust where needed to see what difference this makes...

Had I known this from reading these forums, it might have saved me from discarding a bucket load of presets as non-functional or as amateurish attempts.
IssaMe is offline   Reply With Quote