• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yathosho
    Forum King
    • Jan 2002

NSIS in context menu

any chance to get the context menu entries to compile scripts working on Windows 7 x64? it's all properly set in the registry, but they don't show up (tried with and without holding shift-key).

the registry on 64bit windows is properly confusing!
    NSIS IDE for Atom | NSIS for Visual Studio Code | NSIS for Sublime Text | NSIS.docset
  • pengyou
    Major Dude
    • Mar 2003

It works for me on Windows 7 RC 64-bit (see attached screenshot)

Where did you install NSIS?

I did not use "C:\Program Files (x86)\NSIS" because I wanted to avoid UAC problems when using a standard account to compile the NSIS examples.

Comment

• Yathosho
      Forum King
      • Jan 2002

as it's a 32-bit application, i installed it to Program Files (x86). i was running the RC before, now i'm using the final - didn't work in any of them.

as a workaround i'm now using open with makensisw, that's good enough for now
      NSIS IDE for Atom | NSIS for Visual Studio Code | NSIS for Sublime Text | NSIS.docset

Comment

• Geoff73
        • Jan 2010

I'm on Windows 7 and associated the .nsi extension to another program. Lost Context Menu ("Compile with...") and can't get it back (uninstall/reinstall NSIS makes no difference). Not a disaster because I have now associated it with 'makensisw.exe' so compile works with double-click, but annoying. Has anyone solved this problem?

Comment

• anandharaja
          • Mar 2009

hello

i found the solution u need to delete the registry entry.
          "*HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts*" find the .nsi extention there and delete the entry. its work for me

Comment

• Yathosho
            Forum King
            • Jan 2002

feeling lazy?

Comment

• kichik
              M.I.A.
              [NSIS Dev, Mod]
              • Oct 2001

What's in that key?
              NSIS FAQ | NSIS Home Page | Donate $
              "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -- Confucius

Comment

• Anders
                • Jun 2002

Explorer adds things there on its own (When you use openwith etc)
                IntOp $PostCount $PostCount + 1

Comment

• kichik
                  M.I.A.
                  [NSIS Dev, Mod]
                  • Oct 2001

Then deleting it affects the user's choice, doesn't it?
                  NSIS FAQ | NSIS Home Page | Donate $
                  "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -- Confucius

Comment

• Yathosho
                    Forum King
                    • Jan 2002

microsoft's documentation is anything but good, but i read myself a bit into the issue.

i've attached two registry files and a script that does the same as those files. there are two methods to create the context menu entries, but only one of them (hkcr) works properly in the script (maybe i'm just tired?)

for reason unknown, i could only add menu entries for all files (*) rather than just scripts (.nsi) - all working examples i found on the net were made for all files as well, but i can't imagine why microsoft would want people to that. again, if you can fix this, please do.

other than that, this works nicely!

for reference:
                    msdn
                    msdn forums
                    working example
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Yathosho
                      Forum King
                      • Jan 2002

screenshot

Attached Files

Comment

• Afrow UK
                        • Nov 2002

Still no idea why it's not working for you. It works fine for me and I even added my own options for my nsL Assembler. Running 7 x64.

Stu

Comment

• Yathosho
                          Forum King
                          • Jan 2002

the script above works for me (and i prefer a cascaded menus), just what the nsis installer does isn't working.

Comment

• Afrow UK
                            • Nov 2002

The NSIS installer has always worked for me and I have installed NSIS on 3 separate machines running fresh installs of Windows 7. Is yours a fresh install of SP1?

Stu

Comment

• Yathosho
                              Forum King
                              • Jan 2002

Originally Posted by Afrow UK View Post
                              The NSIS installer has always worked for me and I have installed NSIS on 3 separate machines running fresh installs of Windows 7. Is yours a fresh install of SP1?

Stu
                              as mentioned above, i had this on a fresh windows 7 (pro x64), but i'm sure i installed it again since being on sp1 level. also happened previously when i ran a fresh install of windows 7 rc.

all registry keys are properly written by the nsis installers and i don't have problems with other products (7zip, dropbox, notepad++, runwithparameters etc.) that add themselves to the context menu. it even works for my own installers that add entries in the same fashion as nsis does!

ps: dropbox and 7zip are using cascaded menus (IContextMenu i presume) and might not count

Comment

Working...
                              X