View Single Post
Old 9th March 2005, 02:47   #334
zootm
Forum King

xzxzzx - for my exact feelings on the subject of registries and so on, please see here* and the subposts thereof. I know that's a copout, but I can imagine it will save a lot of time in the long term.

Secondly, the pro-registry arguments you cite are all from Microsoft (which obviously makes sense, but do you have a good reason for a single, easily-recognised repository of setting data? I'm aware that it's more "efficient", but it's not a significant loss in 99.999% of cases, particularly in context. My argument isn't for The Windows Registry, it's for a registry-like data store which would standardise settings information to a degree. Please argue against that and not the Windows registry. I'd be very interested to hear your views in particular, and anyone's views in general, of this sort of stuff.

* The resolution of which was '...it will be interesting to see if you dev types can make us bitchy admin types happy with what just might be a not bad idea. Till then "worse is better".' from the remarkably nice-to-deal-with opponent to my ideas

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote