• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kn0tte
    Major Dude
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serpher
    Unfortunately it wasn't so smooth as I wanted. In 5.35 Modern skin was better. Thats the truth.
    Did you read my post at all? Because of that, I got that idea of a choice (smooth scroll, and less smooth scroll).. OK? Then you can choose what you want..
    That is just an idea though .. I dont know if it is possible or not (to have that choice), so we have to wait for an answer on that
    I think this idea is ok, since so many are saying that it was better in 5.35.. Therefore, the choice idea is better than having only one thing

Comment

• Ojay
      • Sep 2006

Final addition to my error reports about the in_mp3 decoder of Winamp 5.5.

I went back to 5.5 beta 3 and it sounded as horrible as Winamp 5.5 final. I then went back further (install of 13. September, not sure which beta it was but it was a 5.5beta, I had a backup folder with it) and checked the sound quality of that decoder - it was okay. I then re-installed Winamp5.5-final and used it with the in_mp3 of the Winamp beta from the 13. September. That worked and the sound quality was okay and back to normal again.

So what happened in between? Between 13. Sept. and Winamp 5.5 (final)? Why is the sound quality so bad now?
      Last edited by Ojay; 20 October 2007, 23:09.

Comment

• lordsky
        • Mar 2002

Bad Ampersand

This is really a cometic issue since this does not affect the tagging but in the Send To -> Auto tag option, any song field with an ampersand will show an underscore. Presumable, this is because windows attempts to make it a shortcut key.

Comment

• MasterViVi
          • Nov 2003

Weird stuff.

Yesterday I've been updating my cd rips with artwork and album artists tags. I used iTunes, since it's easier to tag multiple items and it embeds the album art.

However, when importing the edited items in Winamp, there are several problems with some (not all albums, some):
          - Album Artist is not recognised (empty in Winamp). I've checked with The Godfather and it recognises both Winamp's tags and iTunes' tags as the same.
          - Covers not recognised. I've checked one album its tags with The Godfather, and it's a .PNG, maybe it's because of that?

In one case, I've changed the album title from "2046 - OS" to "2046", and Winamp still sees "2046 - OS", even on another computer. I've noticed that it's still in the old way in the ID3v1 tag, but shouldn't v2 have priority?

Also, another bug: when editing the album name, and importing a cover, it uses the old album name for the cover.jpg.

edit: also, this version of Winamp seems to produce an occasional "crackle", or however you describe it (the sound of the mp3 lagging for a millisecond). I never had this with the previous versions.

Comment

• Ojay
            • Sep 2006

I get the impression that this thread is not monitored by Devs anymore... I switch to a different player now. The most basic thing for a good player is the decoder and here especially the mp3 decoder (and not the playlist design and Artwork but I get more and more the impression that nobody cares about audio quality here) - and the decoder doesn't produce "clean" audio anymore.

Comment

• Kn0tte
              Major Dude
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ojay
              I get the impression that this thread is not monitored by Devs anymore... I switch to a different player now. The most basic thing for a good player is the decoder and here especially the mp3 decoder (and not the playlist design and Artwork but I get more and more the impression that nobody cares about audio quality here) - and the decoder doesn't produce "clean" audio anymore.
              Calm dowm.. The DEVs read this thread, but that doesnt mean that they have to answer on each thing.. You say that you have problems with the mp3 deocder - maybe they are working on it? :P
              Dont switch to another player.. Nothing can beat Winamp
              Just be patient, and wait..

Also, have you tried to post your issues in the "Winamp bug report" forum/Winamp core bugs thread? That is a tip

Comment

• Koopatrooper
                16-Bit Moderator
                • Apr 2004

Trust me, the devs are reading the postings.
                I get more and more the impression that nobody cares about audio quality here) - and the decoder doesn't produce "clean" audio anymore.
                This is the biggest crap, I've ever read. The MPEG audio decoder was vastly improved over the old version, which was bundled in Winamp 2.9x.

Software always contains bugs, no software is perfect.

Bugs can just be fixed, if somebody is able to reproduce this. I'm sure, that the devs will check the issue so stay tuned.
                My Winamp Info Report | My Winamp Backup Log | My WACUP Info Report

Own Projects: | Winamp Tray Control Icon Pack v3.5.3 | Winamp Backup Tool v3.6.0 | >> Winamp Info Tool v6.1.0 << |
                German Translations: | Offizielle Deutsche Winamp Sprachdatei v5.66 | Offizielle Deutsche Winamp Sprachdatei Plus Version 5.666
                Useful Winamp Plug-ins: | SNESAmp | 64th Note | NotSo FatSo | Highly Experimental PSF Player | Yar Matey! Playlist Copier v1.12 |

Comment

• DJ Egg
                  Spectral Techorator
                  • Jun 2000

@Ojay
                  Post in the Bug Reports forum, and include a link to a sample mp3 which exhibits this alleged poor decoding playback quality.

We can't reproduce the problem here, but if we can get hold of a sample mp3 which exhibits the problem, then the problem can be fixed.

Also attach a List of Plugins to your post.

@MasterViVi
                  If you're using some external tag editor, then you'll need to select the items in Winamp's Media Library, then: right click > Read metadata on selected items.
                  This way the externally updated metadata will be re-read into Winamp's mldb.

Easier solution? Use Winamp instead.
                  iTunes is notorious for an ID3v2.4 unsynchronization bug when embedding albumart, and to boot, you'll also save a bit of disk space by not having the same image embedded into all the tracks on the same album ;-)

Playlist | Twitter | Albums

Comment

• Benski
                    Ben Allison
                    Former Winamp Developer
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Ojay
                    Final addition to my error reports about the in_mp3 decoder of Winamp 5.5.

I went back to 5.5 beta 3 and it sounded as horrible as Winamp 5.5 final. I then went back further (install of 13. September, not sure which beta it was but it was a 5.5beta, I had a backup folder with it) and checked the sound quality of that decoder - it was okay. I then re-installed Winamp5.5-final and used it with the in_mp3 of the Winamp beta from the 13. September. That worked and the sound quality was okay and back to normal again.

So what happened in between? Between 13. Sept. and Winamp 5.5 (final)? Why is the sound quality so bad now?
                    There were absolutely no changes to the decoder code between these two dates. Maybe you're imagining it?

I just did a "bit compare" on the same mp3 decoded in build 1550 (sep 13) and the final 5.5 release

Comment

• Nunzio390
                      Nugatory Aluminator
                      Look it up

• Oct 2002

@Ojay...

As Ben said, maybe you're imagining it?
                      OR...
                      Maybe you have "Allow 24bit" checkmarked and your sound card can't support it, and therefore produces shitty/crap sound?

If that's the case...
                      CTRL+P for Winamp Preferences > General Preferences > Playback
                      In the right pane, under Audio, UNcheck "Allow 24bit" if it's checkmarked. Close out of Preferences, close Winamp, and then restart Winamp.
                      Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
                      [ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
                      [ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]

Comment

• MasterViVi
                        • Nov 2003

Originally posted by DJ Egg
                        @MasterViVi
                        If you're using some external tag editor, then you'll need to select the items in Winamp's Media Library, then: right click > Read metadata on selected items.
                        This way the externally updated metadata will be re-read into Winamp's mldb.
                        Yeah, tried that already, but didn't have any effect unfortunately.

Easier solution? Use Winamp instead.
                        iTunes is notorious for an ID3v2.4 unsynchronization bug when embedding albumart, and to boot, you'll also save a bit of disk space by not having the same image embedded into all the tracks on the same album ;-) [/B]
                        I should've known it was iTunes again. I wish I could stop using it, but like I said, I actually prefer having the album art embedded into the files. Not that I care much, I listen to music, don't really look at the covers. All you need is Winamp for that.

Comment

• djpete
                          Major Dude
                          • Apr 2004

Well so far this version is stable as a rock for me.
                          I used to have the occasional crash when djing using winamp especially when searching through mlibrary.
                          i have used 5.5 since release and no crashes on my main pc.

Used it for 6 hrs straight at a gig the other night with the paptop and it was bulletproof.

Fingers crossed this could be the release I have been waiting for.

Sure people will find small bugs but I am talking about the core player and search system and I reckon you guys have got it spot on. The rest is just a little fine tuning as it goes along.
                          Good one.
                          Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
                          Winamp Enthusiasts Group

Comment

• only_johhny
                            • Aug 2007

I'm having a strange issue now that I'm not sure how to recreate 'cos of I've only just noticed it. Basically it seems to be the media library reading for my generic usb portable device (iAudio M3) has the id3 tags wrong or something. They either show up with no artist at all, or as some weird attempt at the artist taken from the song or album, e.g. Sleater-Kinney's self-titled album has become just artist - "Sleater", album - "Kinney", and Pixies song U-Mass has become artist - "U", song - "Mass". Clearly the hyphen is having some effect.

The id3 tags appear to be fine, v1 and 2, so it seems to be a reading issue, rather than Winamp messing up the id3 tags when it writes to the player. I tried removing the Winamp xml file off the player but it makes no difference once a new one is created.

I can't think of any relevant info that'd help diagnose. Oh one thought just came to me, this possibly happened after I manually copied some stuff to the player, though that's possibly just a coincidence.

Edit: Just to confirm it must've been a reading issue because I have no idea what I just did, but everything is back to normal, all the artists are correct.
                            Last edited by only_johhny; 22 October 2007, 02:49.

Comment

• tomkorver
                              • Nov 2005

BPM column view

I saw that there should be a BPM column list for Local View in version 5.5, but....where is it?

Comment

• flocksoft
                                Major Dude
                                • Aug 2006

Common Requests:

Commonly requested features taken from all of the 5.36/5.5 beta threads.
                                Feedback is welcome, though there's no need to keep making requests for any of these:
                                • Bento skin: Vertically resizable main player area
                                • Bento skin: Options to hide Info Pane / tabs / etc
                                • Bento skin: Options to detach vid/vis/other windows
                                • Bento skin: Options to add/edit tabs or rearrange windows/components
                                • Gecko/other engine for Bento browser (instead of IE)
                                • Winamp Modern skin: AlbumArt in Notifier
                                • Winamp Modern skin: Any other missing new Bento features
                                • Album Art window for classic skins (if possible?)
                                • Lang pack updates for other locale translations
                                • Same scrollbar/buttons for Playlist as ML
                                • BPM column for Local Media views
                                • Select/Edit fields in Mass Autotagger results before updating
                                • Publisher (or other fields) shown in AlbumArt Columns and/or Details view
                                • Anything else already covered in the above notes, eg. AlbumArt (in)completion
                                • Any other items already on the official Wishlist
                                • Watch this space for more

from http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....78538#wishlist (recommended post)

Comment

Working...
                                X