View Single Post
Old 11th April 2021, 19:37   #1
Busby

Dedicated Server vs VM for my station

I have been running my station on Windows dedicated servers for over 15 years, but recently one of the servers failed after running fine for 12 years.

Obviously, things have moved on, but back in the day we tried a VPS without success (Server 2012).

My friend tells me things have changed and I should try again with a VPS, because apart from anything else, a failure is easier to recover from.

So, I'm now renting a new server with Windows Server 2019 under Hyper-V Intel Xeon D-1521 4c / 8t ( 2.4GHz ) 64GB DR4 ECC 2133MHz SoftRAID 2x480GB SSD.

I intalled SC2 initially but I find the streams skip (not buffer) then after installing the latest version of SAM Broadcaster, I find it keeps freezing for a few seconds, and at the same time, the streams stop.

I have never had these issues with my previous dedicated servers (without virtualisation) and wondered if anyone else has been down this path.

Another related point; I was disappointed that after 3 days of testing SAM froze displaying the usual critical error, unexpected exception occoured. I would have thought after all these years those problems would be a thing of the past, and in fact was the reason I never updated SAM in all this time.

Some advice please from the wise old owls

Thanks in advance..

I'll get there in the end...
www.1mix.co.uk
Busby is offline   Reply With Quote