View Single Post
Old 29th October 2012, 08:04   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Xennex,

we are very similar. i have flac and mp3, and i use a few broad genres in my folder structure.

what DrO is talking about is "smartviews" and they are part of the free app. you will be able to do what you want with them. they can filter the view by whatever custom criteria you want.

here is an example file path:

C:\AUDIO\music\mdw\mp3\Rips\ROCK\1-CLASSIC\Beatles\Abbey Road\files.mp3

so "audio" is the root, and the next is "music" the idea there is to put audio related files in there i don't otherwise want as part of the music library.

music then gets split into source subdirectories, where i use initials or whatever to determine where i got the music, which is importnt in case i ever get more from that source. mdw is me.

i then set the format, and this is one way (but not the only way) you could set winamp to only show you FLAC in a smartview. if u divide your music by format in the folder structure, which i think is only sensible, then this is the easiest way to do it.

"Rips" indicates the file was ripped from a CD by me or someone i know, while "DLs" would indicate it was downloaded from off the net.

then i set the genre, and then this one has a subgenre, and i used a numeral for it to order it in windows explorer.

then the artist gets their own folder, and after that each album per cd, and finally the files.

now...

here is the list of genres i use in my files tags, and its slowly evolving:

Quote:
Classic Rock
Rock & Roll
Rock n Roots
Rock
Hard Rock
Alt Rock
Southern Rock
Arena Rock
Grunge
Psychedelic Rock
Progressive Rock
Metal
Punk
New Wave

Industrial
Techno
Goth

Funk
Disco
R&B
Blues
Jazz

Rap
Reggae

Singer Songwriter
Guitar God
Symphonic

Adult Pop
Pop
Showtunes
Swing
Easy Listening

Celtic
Classical

Country
Bluegrass
Folk

Comedy
Radio Show
Television
Effects
Christmas
Halloween
i adjust my tags however i like, but i try to be more generic and broad in my storage on disc, and that really is no longer evolving. one other thing i sometimes do, is i might give an artist like Stevie Ray Vaughan a "Blues" tag, but store him in the "ROCK\1-CLASSIC" folder, so that a smartview might find him in either / or.

i have far fewer folder genres than tag genres, but i maintain this b/c i have some 60k+ files, and its easier to find things for me this way, then scrolling huge lists, and as i just explained, it has other uses, esp in smartviews.

i would create your FLAC folder system, then find a script of some utility or something that creates a mp3 dupe, of both your folder system and your tags. then create smartviews to show flac or mp3, since you'd need mp3 for portables.

i''d also recommend getting to know www.mp3tag.de/en and using only id3v2.3 tags for your mp3s. i also use only one "Folder.jpg" per album folder, and i keep a copy of it in there just in case a virus or WMP or something messes it up.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote