X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aminifu
    Forum King
    • Aug 2011

I read another scary article about Windows 10 today. Google started this commercial data mining mess and there's no turning back now.

"When you install Windows 10 on a new PC or upgrade an existing version of Windows to the new operating system, you get the option to customize select preferences or use the defaults instead.

If you select to customize, you get the option to disable three pages full of features related to privacy.

While that is a good start at limiting Windows 10's hunger for data, it is nowhere near sufficient to keep the operating system from talking with Microsoft servers regularly.

A user on Voat analyzed the network traffic of Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system using a DD-WRT router and a Linux Mint laptop with remote logging and Windows 10 Enterprise installed on Virtualbox recently.

He turned off all privacy-related features during custom installation, and let the computer sit idle for eight hours straight afterwards logging network traffic.

In the eight hours Windows 10 made 5508 connection attempts."

Link to the complete article (http://www.ghacks.net/2016/02/08/win...acy-hardening/).

If the OS makes this many attempts to 'phone home' when there is nothing new to report, what will it do when the computer is actually being used to do stuff? There are 3rd party apps (1 is mentioned in the article) that can help reduce the frequency that the OS calls 'home' and to other servers. I foresee a huge market for these apps (or huge purchases of telco unlimited data plans), if Microsoft can get close to it's target number of users. If the current rate of adoption remains steady, Microsoft will reach it's target in about 3 years. I expect Microsoft will extend the free upgrade period or reduce the price for Windows 10 this summer.
    Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
    Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• gaekwad2
      Foorum King
      • Jul 2003

They'll make 7/8 pop up a nag screen every time you move your mouse.

Comment

• iomegajaz
        Balled and Chained
        Alumni
        • Jun 2000

Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
        "When you install Windows 10 on a new PC or upgrade an existing version of Windows to the new operating system, you get the option to customize select preferences or use the defaults instead.

If you select to customize, you get the option to disable three pages full of features related to privacy. ..."
        Only three pages? I waded through a full 13 pages on my mum's computer. Maybe the other 10 pages are available only after the installation is complete, i.e. by going back through the control panel (or whatever it's called in 10).

Originally Posted by iomegajaz View Post
        I installed 10 on my mum's laptop. She only uses it for browsing – privately hosted webmail, facebook, pinterest, gumtree, not much else – and for some basic MS Office work. I turned all 13 pages of privacy switches to "off" (i.e. do not share), and I'm relatively comfortable with her using IE, the built-in firewall and AV, and auto updates, so yeah.
        "My heart hates uggos." –J.D.

Comment

• gaekwad2
          Foorum King
          • Jul 2003

There are 3 pages in the installer, plus the options in the control panel, plus others that are only available through registry and management console (or sc.exe). For added fun, any of them may get reset after a Windows update.

It's funny how people always bring up having to use the terminal, or to edit config files in Linux. I spent far more time in Windows regedit.

Comment

• Sabine Klare
            Forum Queen
            • Nov 2010

After the support for XP had ended in 2014, the support for Vista will end in 2017 and for Win7 in 2020.

I think, the artists want to stay on Win7 as long as they can, because they had problems with Windows 8 / 8.1 in the past.

I remember, that somebody got very angry, because many expensive software was not compatible with Windows Versions after XP anymore. I myself have experienced that 2 days ago, when I wanted to install the driver for the Lexmark Printer on Vista. It was not possible, and today I had to print the letter in the meeting-point. With XP the printer had worked, but also the second XP computer had died in 2015.

With Windows 10 I want to wait, until also Win7 will not be supported anymore. I just hope, that I can run the Desktop Wallpaper Slideshow also on Windows 10, which works already since Win7, together with Winamp, all the plugins & skins and the Milkdrop Visualizer...
            Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
            Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
            AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...

Comment

• swingdjted
              DRINK BEER NOW
              (Forum King)
              • Feb 2006

I too lost a lot with the change away from XP. This is why I often use "XP Mode" in Windows 7 Ultimate.
              Don't forget to live before you die.

Comment

• Warrior of the Light
                Forum King
                • Aug 2002

Originally Posted by gaekwad2 View Post
                They'll make 7/8 pop up a nag screen every time you move your mouse.
                I just removed (renamed) the \gwx\ folder and its contents in c:\windows\system32\ Haven't had a single popup since. I had tried all of the recommended solutions but it kept coming back.
                I don't think you'll be able to do it in windows though, perhaps in safemode? You could use a live linux session.
                Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever

Comment

• Aminifu
                  Forum King
                  • Aug 2011

Originally Posted by Warrior of the Light View Post
                  I just removed (renamed) the \gwx\ folder and its contents in c:\windows\system32\ Haven't had a single popup since. I had tried all of the recommended solutions but it kept coming back.
                  I don't think you'll be able to do it in windows though, perhaps in safemode? You could use a live linux session.
                  I used the Task Scheduler to disable the 4 tasks that trigger the pop-up app. The other gwx related tasks periodically trigger the other gwx apps that check the programs and drivers installed on my computer for compatibility with Windows 10. When triggered, they run for a few minutes after boot up and at other times when the computer is idle (if the computer is not rebooted for days). This processing is not noticeable unless the computer has limited resources.

If I ever do decide to upgrade, knowing what's compatible will be important. Keeping this info up to date will allow the upgrade process to complete faster.

Comment

• ryerman
                    Major Dude
                    • Mar 2010

I just removed (renamed) the \gwx\ folder and its contents in c:\windows\system32\ Haven't had a single popup since.....
                    I don't think you'll be able to do it in windows though, perhaps in safemode?......
                    Here's an app that makes it easy:
                    Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin

Comment

• gaekwad2
                      Foorum King
                      • Jul 2003

Dual-boot ftw.
                      Wouldn't it be better to remove the folder's contents and then set it to read-only? Otherwise Windows might just recreate and repopulate it.

Comment

• Warrior of the Light
                        Forum King
                        • Aug 2002

I dual-boot as well, just didn't know if you did.
                        That's probably an even better solution.
                        Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever

Comment

• Aminifu
                          Forum King
                          • Aug 2011

Today, ZDNet's Ed Bolt has a different take on the info provided by the article I linked to in post #76 above.

"Another day, another sensational report from Forbes. Oh my goodness, is Windows 10 really "phoning home" thousands of times a day? Nope. in fact, anyone who has even a basic understanding of how networks work should cringe at this shoddy report."

" Sadly, what Mr. Kelly's post* proves is how very, very little he understands about modern computing or networking. Seriously, his article is pure gibberish, technically. But more than 100,000 people have read it so far, and apparently they believe Mr. Kelly.

I feel sorry for those poor benighted souls."

Link to Ed Bolt's complete article (http://www.zdnet.com/article/when-it...tag=TRE17cfd61).

Comment

• Aminifu
                            Forum King
                            • Aug 2011

There is a new app (Win10 Wizard) that is supposed to help with determining what changes a Windows 10 upgrade will make to a Windows 7/8.1 installation.

"If you run it on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 before the upgrade, it will make sure that your system is compatible with Microsoft's new operating system.

In addition, it will highlight any program that will be removed as part of the upgrade either because it is incompatible with Windows 10, or because Microsoft removed the feature from the operating system.

What Win10 Wizard does not do is download and install the upgrade for you. It links to a Microsoft page where you find instructions on how to upgrade the PC to Windows 10.

When you run the program again after the upgrade, its main functionality becomes available. It highlights compatibility issues right away on the start screen, and links to six settings or options that you can go through." __to make modifications to privacy and security settings among other things.

More information about this app and a download link is available here (http://www.ghacks.net/2016/02/12/win...ade-assistant/).

One of the comments to this article related to Win10 Wizard is very informative:

" Jeff February 12, 2016 at 2:41 pm #

From #6. in the EULA: " Advertising and Links - The Software installation and/or any applicable Software update or upgrade processes may include Digital Care promotional offers and advertisements, or promotional offers and advertisements from third parties. The manner, mode and extent of advertising by Digital Care through the Software installation process and/or any applicable Software update or upgrade processes are subject to change at any time and without notice to you" "

Win10 Wizard could be useful since it claims to provide info that GWX does not, but the embedded promotional offers and advertisements could be a hassle or dangerous.

Comment

• Warrior of the Light
                              Forum King
                              • Aug 2002

Nice but that's still based on the idea that I'm interested in upgrading an OS. Upgrading something as complex as an OS is in in my experience just an accedient waiting to happen.
                              For me, I'll stick to my clean installs only policy.

Comment

• Aminifu
                                Forum King
                                • Aug 2011

I agree that clean installs are generally better than upgrades. It would still be useful to known what software in my current installation is incompatible and which installed OS features would be removed. I already known the Windows Media Center will be removed.

In addition, with Windows 10, Microsoft has changed the OS activation process. I read that you have to upgrade first to get the activation saved on a Microsoft server and then delete everything to do a clean install (with a separately downloaded installation package) that will be activated automatically. Is that true?

I'm glad I have a few more months, at least, to decide if I want to deal with all this hassle.

Comment

Working...
                                X