• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitorami
    Major Dude
    • Mar 2008

Cannot play URL

Need some help here. I am on my father's machine, Win 7, winamp v5.666 Build 3516.

Although connected to the Internet, Internet radio does not work. Whether I drag a .pls file to milkdrop, or try to play a URL such as https://www.internet-radio.com/serve...ten.pls&t=.pls

- it just does not work. Silence. No message, the playlist editor remains empty. Winamp just seems to ignore it. I can however play local audio files and CD.

EDIT: But, when I click on the link above in this post, it works. !?!?!?
  • radublack
    • Oct 2016

Try this ..Run Winamp As Administrator

Comment

• Nitorami
      Major Dude
      • Mar 2008

Does not work either. Anyway, I cannot make a playlist neither play an URL but at least play single stations by clicking the .pls link.

Comment

• Dr.Flay
        • Mar 2013

The link you have does not work in Winamp.
        If you click on the link in a browser, it is sent to a second site where the playlist is, and then downloads it, then Winamp opens it.
        Use the second part of the link http://46.165.227.92:8000/listen.pls

Don't copy the radio link from the browser on that site, just click on it and then save in Winamp as a Bookmark, or add to a new playlist

Milkdrop is a visualiser, try dropping files (in your PC) on the Winamp playlist.
        Do not drag files from a web page to Winamp, drag them from a folder.
        My weekly radio show for nerds and wannabe nerds 15% Extra on Source FM every Friday

Comment

• Nitorami
          Major Dude
          • Mar 2008

Thanks for these details. Interestingly, under XP I can simply drag links such as found here http://www.internet-radio.com/stations/electro/ to the playlist, and they will be properly inserted. It's just so convenient I got used to it, and I was surprised it did not work on my father's machine.

Milkdrop is a visualiser
          Yes I know, I have been making presets since 2008... and I recognize your Avatar as one of Flexi's presets

Comment

• Dr.Flay
            • Mar 2013

Dragging and dropping from a web browser works if the browser supports it, not the OS.
            I just tried in XP with old Opera 12 and it did not work.
            It also depends if the browser tries to link to the remote resource, or the file in your browser cache.

It seems that when you dragged to Winamp before, it was not using the whole URL.

Nicely spotted with my avatar !
            My weekly radio show for nerds and wannabe nerds 15% Extra on Source FM every Friday

Comment

• Nitorami
              Major Dude
              • Mar 2008

Sorry for asking a stupid question here, but why are shoutcast stations not played by winamp per default, where radionomy owns both winamp and shoutcast ?
              Do I really need yet another ("DSP") plugin to play shoutcast stations via winamp ?

Comment

• CJ_Man
                • Aug 2008

I guess they try to cater for those who have (sadly) become used to playing their media in a browser.

If I click the download button next to the play button on Shoutcast, Winamp is the top option.

Comment

• Nitorami
                  Major Dude
                  • Mar 2008

Oh well, I had not tried this, but it works. Thanks.
                  Even if some of these links fill up the playlist with 20 identical entries.

Comment

• Dr.Flay
                    • Mar 2013

You are simply making things hard for your self. Of course Winamp supports shoutcast by default, but that site is not a shoutcast site, and it works fine if you use it by clicking on links normally.

DSPs are not for decoding audio formats, they are for Processing a Digital Signal (eg. a graphic equaliser).
                    Input plugins are used to add more audio decoding formats.
                    Shoutcast/Icecast streams are just regular mp3 with extra meta data send in parallel, what you are having trouble with is the way you are adding links.
                    Shoutcast can stream other audio formats. Shoutcast is a server system, not an audio format.

If you look in Winamps own media library, there is a shoutcast directory in the "Online services" section.
                    Click on a radio station and it will start playing in winamp.

Open a separate browser and browse an alternative radio streams site, and as long as Winamp is still set as the default to play m3u,pls,mp3,aac...etc. all you do is the same. Click, and that is it.
                    Click on the link, it downloads a playlist file which then opens in your default player, which should start playing the url inside the downloaded playlist file.
                    Now you save this into bookmarks or your own streams playlist.

If your problem is that doing this wipes the current playlist, go into Winamp Filetypes preferences and change the default behaviour to "Enqueue".

Comment

• Nitorami
                      Major Dude
                      • Mar 2008

Dr Flay
                      Thanks for taking that much time. It's just that I never bothered a lot about handling playlists and got confused when clicking the links at shoutcast.com opened the internal player... yes I was stupid not to try the other button.

I know what a DSP is but was irritated when in an attempt to find a way to play the stations via winamp, I came across this text "The DSP is free software which lets you run your SHOUTcast radio station using the Winamp media player...." and misread it. D'oh, it is about running a station, not listening... I was a bit upset already. Sorry. Things are sufficiently clear now.

Comment

• Dr.Flay
                        • Mar 2013

Ah yes, I see. Easy confusion as a DSP is used to serve streams.

BTW. You could add the radio streams page as an online service in the media library.
                        It will not integrate as truly as the existing services, but as long as Winamp is the default handler, the playlist stub will still download to the temp internet folder and then open in Winamp.
                        The genuine online services can hand the link directly to Winamp without downloading a playlist.

Comment

Working...
                        X