Thread: New camera?
View Single Post
Old 8th February 2006, 04:27   #16
STanger

Send a message via AIM to STanger Send a message via Yahoo to STanger
nikon coolpix 4600

that's the point and shoot I have .. It's very nice can record in quicktime video just no audio .. the one model above it, the 5600 can record quicktime video with audio and after trying one out it's not that bad ... it's easily converted in iTunes to play on the gen5 iPod. both the 4600 and 5600 use AA size Ni-MH rechargeable batteries so that's a plus .. you also get a battery charger with both

My coolpix 4600 has a 4x optical zoom and a 3x digital zoom. You can take a continous shot which in the end gives a kind of flipbook effect. BSS or best shot selector takes 10 pics in a row and gives you the one it thinks is of the best quality. If you don't like it you can browse through the other 9 of the 10 taken to find the one you like. It has a panarama assist .. you take a picture with this setting enabled and for the next one it gives you an overlay to line up the sequential shots so when you put them all together(there is software that comes with the camera for this and it works quite well imo)all the pics are lined up and it looks as it should.

it has color tone settings like cyanotype which looks a bit blue, sepia and straight up black and white which I do use on occasion. at the highest 4 megapixel setting I get a picture that's at least 4000x3000. You can also change the exposure setting from -0.7 to 0.7. It doesn't sound like much but you can tell the difference between 2 pictures taken, one at -0.7 and the other at 0.7.

It does feel a bit heavy on the right side with the batteries in but seeing as how the shutter button is on the right side of the camera it does help me balance the camera in my hand a bit better. Speaking of that if the camera is shaking when you hold the shutter button down halfway to turn auto-focusing on, you get a small blinking hand icon in the lcd monitor telling you the picture taken as is will be blurry .. with this camera as with most it helps to have a tripod but a steady hand will do just fine.

I usually take pictures using the auto setting which automates AF(auto focus) and exposure settings and does give you some really nice looking pictures but after some experimentation I've found that setting the exposure to 0.4 for interior shots looks the best with poor/minimal lighting.

Hope this helps!
STanger
STanger is offline   Reply With Quote