X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rr-nyc
    • Dec 2007

EMusic's "Free Trial" - Deceptive Liars

Has anyone else had issues with EMusic and the so-called "free trial" they claim to offer for downloading Winamp?

You are supposed to get 50 free songs as part of an initial trial membership. Instead, they give you credit for only 30.

They also include a deceptive link that says you can get a free audiobook as part of your trial. OK, fine, but when you go to select the book they are promoting (Clapton's autobiography, actually) they say "Oops, it's not available at the moment!"

These would just be annoyances, but when you complain about their gamesplaying, they charge your account $9.99 - not once, but twice!

Has anyone else run into these decepticons and their bait-and-switch unscrupulous business practices?
    Yes, I had problems but they were resolved and I was able to use their service for the free trial.
    0%
    Yes, I had problems and had to cancel, and they refunded my money.
    0%
    Yes, I had problems and they charged me and I couldn't get a refund!
    0%
    No, I have not had problems with EMusic and used my free trial successfully without incident.
    0%
    No, I did not have problems with EMusic and used my free trial successfully and am now a paying member.
    0%
    Not applicable - I did not use the opportunity to take a free trial with EMusic.
    0%
  • skryingbreath
    Post initializing...
    • Sep 2005

Well what did you expect?

Comment

• ElChevelle
      Moderator Alumni
      • Jun 2000

I know a Nigerian prince who would like to offer you a free trial.
      Are you willing to subscribe so easily?

Comment

• Wildrose-Wally
        The Albertan
        • Mar 2001

Just how many fucking threads did you make on this topic?

Fucking Cross-Poster.

Comment

• rr-nyc
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Wildrose-Wally
          Just how many fucking threads did you make on this topic?

Fucking Cross-Poster.
          Responding to existing threads == making new threads? Huh?

Yawn. Friggin' cross-whiner*... Haven't you got better things to do like shovel snow or something? :-) Relax, take the day off, I'm sure you have something better to do.

* cross-whiner, n. (From the French-Canadian "croissaueenert" - "one who goes out of his way to seek out other people's posts to complain about")

Comment

• Sawg
            Forum King
            • Jun 2000

HAHA! But, seriously, you won't get far blaming others for your mistakes.
            | Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!

Comment

• ASD5A
              Titeleinzigartigkeit
              • Apr 2005

Re: EMusic's "Free Trial" - Deceptive Liars

Originally posted by rr-nyc
              Has anyone else run into these decepticons and their bait-and-switch unscrupulous business practices?
              No, we have common sense.
              oversized e-penis replacement

Comment

• LuigiHann
                Forum King
                • Aug 2003

I don't know if I'd call it "common sense," but yeah, it's a good rule of thumb: if it's an ad, don't click on it. And don't give credit card information for anything that claims to be free.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?

Comment

• Fickle
                  Butterknife of Justice
                  (Forum King)
                  • Jan 2002

Yawn. Friggin' cross-whiner*... Haven't you got better things to do like shovel snow or something? :-) Relax, take the day off, I'm sure you have something better to do.

* cross-whiner, n. (From the French-Canadian "croissaueenert" - "one who goes out of his way to seek out other people's posts to complain about")
                  Ever consider just adding your input to someone elses post that is the exact same argument you are making? Or did you just feel like you'd make a stronger point using a fancy poll which already has the majority of voters knowing better than you did by not rapidly clicking "Next" to get your music fix so goddamn quickly and actually reading what you were installing on your computer?

What is your argument? Perhaps the poll should be changed:
                  • Am I an irresponsible whiner?
                  • Do I make a giant deal out of something someone has already made a giant deal out of?
                  • Am I ignorant of the methods used in advertising?
                  • Am I ignorant of the methods used by software companies?
                  • Am I just plain ignorant of reality?
                  • Do I just randomly click things because reading is for suckers?
                  • Do I educate myself on my choices or do I just shoot from the hip and hope I don't fail miserably?
                  • Do I trust people who are trying to exploit me for money or goods?
                  • Do I like blue ducks or did I just draw one because I had never seen one before?
                  • Am I just infantile in my absurd argument that someone should stop a company I actually chose to deal with and have no basis for any real argument except leaching off of someone else's ideas so people will pay attention to me?

Also, you should use check boxes and not radio buttons because from where I'm standing, all these apply to your situation.
                  Go read a book without pictures
                  pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote

Comment

• ShuggSpin
                    • Dec 2007

Ignore the tards

I believe the correct French-Canuck would be

"le troll du posts de la croix"

These people seem to have nothing better to do than troll and whine, and gloat about their imagined superiority. Don't sweat it. It's a worthy effort to expose crooks, as well as to annoy schooks. Don't let the smarmhounds bother you.

Shugg

Comment

• ShuggSpin
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Fickle
                      Ever consider just adding your input to someone elses post that is the exact same argument you are making?
                      Which he did.

Or did you just feel like you'd make a stronger point using a fancy poll which already has the majority of voters knowing better than you did by not rapidly clicking "Next" to get your music fix so goddamn quickly and actually reading what you were installing on your computer?
                      We wouldn't know this without the poll, would we? Sounds like he did a public service despite the aspersions you cast on him. Now we know that most geniuses who post here are too smart to get hoodwinked by crooks.

What is your argument? Perhaps the poll should be changed:
                      • Am I an irresponsible whiner?
                      I assume you would have to check this box. Because here you are whining about someone expressing legitimate concern about a crooked business.

• Do I make a giant deal out of something someone has already made a giant deal out of?
                      And are these jerks still in business? Is Winamp still offered with their bogus free trial? Sounds like it's worth ensuring something is done about them and people are warned. Not everyone is as "smart" as you are.

• Am I ignorant of the methods used in advertising?
                      • Am I ignorant of the methods used by software companies?
                      • Am I just plain ignorant of reality?
                      • Do I just randomly click things because reading is for suckers?
                      • Do I educate myself on my choices or do I just shoot from the hip and hope I don't fail miserably?
                      • Do I trust people who are trying to exploit me for money or goods?
                      • Do I like blue ducks or did I just draw one because I had never seen one before?
                      • Am I just infantile in my absurd argument that someone should stop a company I actually chose to deal with and have no basis for any real argument except leaching off of someone else's ideas so people will pay attention to me?
                      No, YOU are being infantile in ranting this way and being just generally abusive... oh yes, and whining.

Also, you should use check boxes and not radio buttons because from where I'm standing, all these apply to your situation.
                      Yes, since you seem to be the first primary candidate for checking as many of these boxes as possible. Lighten up. People who just aren't as brilliant as you have the right to complain appropriately about crooks. If you don't like that, lump it.

Shugg

Comment

Working...
                      X