How does discontinuation of WinAmp affect ShoutCast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jkey
    Forum King
    • Jul 2004

Originally Posted by aaronsnet View Post
    Bringing SC into the modern age? Do share your thoughts on how this can be accomplished.
    Because you chose to ask the way you did.
    No.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Comment

• MadJack
      • Oct 2013

SHOUTcast IS the modern age. It's all but perfect, in my opinion.
      Event Horizon Radio - It's radio for your head.

Comment

• voodoohippie
        • Jun 2009

Its simple. if say Radionomy took over we may not even have to be licensed to broadcast on Shoutcast just like the days when Live365 was FREE, Plus it would be a huge success for the already dying RIAA AND their ilk for they will make money from the royalties paid by Radionomy. More people may come on board for they don't have to worry about huge licensing costs when their ATH rises. Advertisers will see a way to make money from Internet Radio operators in a mass scale and I am sure Radionomy would make it easier to broadcast with software like NextKast, Stationplaylist, SAM, ect. Since they would own Shoutcast the burden would be upon them and not you the hobby broadcasters. It could turn the tables on all of this notion that you can't profit from Internet Radio (but Radionomy would have to make some repairs to their system).

The Bad: Progressive Rock (Album Rock) stations like The Legacy could not really survive on Radionomy (unless they live the minutes per track rule). Songs like Supper's Ready from Genesis for example are longer than 15 minutes. I'm sure Radionomy may change this a bit if this really were to take place.

Till we get an official word all if this is speculation so I'd really like to get some real official word on this.
        Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
        http://nextkast.com

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com

Comment

• bored_womble
          Winamp's Womble
          • May 2004

Originally Posted by Jkey View Post

Radionomy
          is a good company, more than capable of bringing shoutcast into the modern age.
          That does not appear to the view of quite a few people. I know nothing about them but their reputation is a little thin.

In some ways it does not matter as it comes down to what, if anything they do, but lets keep speculating by the end of the thread they will no doubt make everyone rich and keep everyone happy.

BW
          Without open minds the world will die. Open yours and correct the mistakes you are making right now.

Comment

• Bryon Stout
            • Feb 2011

guys so far nothing has been changed with shoutcast. As of right now there are no indications that Radionomy is going to own it. The only data we have is that they own/going to own winamp.

Comment

• Jkey
              Forum King
              • Jul 2004

Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
              SHOUTcast IS the modern age. It's all but perfect, in my opinion.
              Visit shoutcast.com on an Android phone.

Originally Posted by bored_womble View Post
              That does not appear to the view of quite a few people. I know nothing about them but their reputation is a little thin.
              BW

Originally Posted by Bryon Stout View Post
              guys so far nothing has been changed with shoutcast. As of right now there are no indications that Radionomy is going to own it. The only data we have is that they own/going to own winamp.
              **AOL will retain shoutcast, These forums will be gone and some kind of wiki will be
              setup, similar to the one on the winamp sub domain now.

**Guess.

Comment

• voodoohippie
                • Jun 2009

Maybe I'm missing something but maybe its just me. If Radionomy wants to take over Winamp (which is an Mp3 player and can broadcast to Shoutcast with DSP) than why not also try and bid for Shoutcast? This way they could change things around and inject the ads to pay for Royalties? This way they could scrap their platform and go with any AutoDj system that actually works. Even if they had to use (cough cough) Centovacast or better yet they could try and work out a package deal with something more reliable such as Shoutcast Automation or LiveWebDJ for an easy switch from AutoDJ to Live and vise-verse. It makes sense that they want to try Winamp first as everyone should be able to fire up the player and press the Encode button on the DSP. And yes it would keep the window open for new broadcast software down the road as needed when Radionomy makes changes to their system.

My best educated guess is they would try and take both not just one.
                Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
                http://nextkast.com

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com

Comment

• lazvon
                  • Dec 2013

The only facts out there so far are that:

1) nullsoft.com name server records have changed to being hosted by name servers that are registered as ns*.radionomy.com

2) winamp.com name server records have changed to being hosted by name servers that are registered as ns*.radionomy.com

Beyond that... no other facts exist. No matter what you've read on the Internet, these two facts may (or may not) be evidence of something else occurring. The lack of evidences means nothing. Only an official announcement will have the facts beyond those two facts above.

Comment

• Jkey
                    Forum King
                    • Jul 2004

lazvon since this is the only subject you have discussed since you joined these
                    forums, I have to ask, Are you from or do you work for Radionomy ?

Feel free to pm the response.

Comment

• jfmauguit
                      • Jan 2014

I would say he isn't :-)

Comment

• lazvon
                        • Dec 2013

I do not.

Comment

• lazvon
                          • Dec 2013

Ha.

Comment

• Jkey
                            Forum King
                            • Jul 2004

hahahah thx jfmauguit

Comment

• Bryon Stout
                              • Feb 2011

You speak as if shoutcast was put up for sale. Not once was anything mentioned about shoutcast being for sale.

Originally Posted by voodoohippie View Post
                              Maybe I'm missing something but maybe its just me. If Radionomy wants to take over Winamp (which is an Mp3 player and can broadcast to Shoutcast with DSP) than why not also try and bid for Shoutcast? This way they could change things around and inject the ads to pay for Royalties? This way they could scrap their platform and go with any AutoDj system that actually works. Even if they had to use (cough cough) Centovacast or better yet they could try and work out a package deal with something more reliable such as Shoutcast Automation or LiveWebDJ for an easy switch from AutoDJ to Live and vise-verse. It makes sense that they want to try Winamp first as everyone should be able to fire up the player and press the Encode button on the DSP. And yes it would keep the window open for new broadcast software down the road as needed when Radionomy makes changes to their system.

My best educated guess is they would try and take both not just one.

Comment

• Jkey
                                Forum King
                                • Jul 2004

How does discontinuation of WinAmp affect ShoutCast?

Originally Posted by Bryon Stout View Post
                                You speak as if shoutcast was put up for sale. Not once was anything mentioned about shoutcast being for sale.

Give him a break, we are in the shoutcast section of these forums
                                Since shoutcast is also nullsoft's baby, assuming it would follow winamp
                                in a sale, is not that much of a leap to make.

Comment

Working...
                                X