X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrSinatra
    Forum King
    • Dec 2004

so, similar issue, thx. did u see my other art thread?

when it comes to art, i prefer the mp3tag, windows explorer tolerance methodology over winamps strict behavior. at the very least it should be an optional toggle, and the default should be tolerance. i remember DrO insisting that a jpg with a png extension should be rejected by winamp. that to me is him insisting on his preference, rather than accepting the reality out there that a lot of people aren't more concerned with perfection of tagging, but rather desire something that "just works" with less effort from them.

i also put this issue under that category. this afterall is the art we are talking about, not the audio, where i can see a more justifiable argument can be made to be more strict, (like with filename extensions or what have you).
    PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
    --
    BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
    Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
    Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Comment

• ryerman
      Major Dude
      • Mar 2010

Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
      ...did u see my other art thread?...
      Yes, I'm still experimenting.
      Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
      ...when it comes to art, i prefer the mp3tag, windows explorer tolerance methodology over winamps strict behavior. at the very least it should be an optional toggle, and the default should be tolerance....
      I wouldn't argue against that.
      Based on thinktink's comments, that may mean rewriting every input dll and/or creating special code for handling art without regard to audio file type.
      I'll be amazed if new art handling code is created: hell, I'll be amazed if ver 5.8 gets out of beta!
      Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin

Comment

• MrSinatra
        Forum King
        • Dec 2004

my guess is some of these issues might also apply to WACUP, so DrO could try to reproduce with these files if he's interested in making his project bulletproof.
        --

Comment

• ryerman
          Major Dude
          • Mar 2010

Winamp ver 6.0 or 7.0 or 8.0 might be released before DrO's project is publicly released.
          (And my skepticism about Winamp's future development is no secret.)
          I think DrO will not be satisfied until he has replaced every bit of the original code.

Comment

• Aminifu
            Forum King
            • Aug 2011

Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
            I think DrO will not be satisfied until he has replaced every bit of the original code.
            I do believe that is the direction he is headed in.

Checking the contents of a file (at least it's header) instead of relying on it's extension to decide what format it is using will slow things down slightly (probably not even noticeable). Even so, checking a file's contents is not a terrible idea, imo.
            Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
            Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• MrSinatra
              Forum King
              • Dec 2004

a very useful function in winamp would be a column in the ML that would be checked if either art or audio files had mismatched extensions to their header ID'd content. that would be better than strict rejections, bc it would allow users to fix the problem.
              --

Comment

• MrSinatra
                Forum King
                • Dec 2004

ok, a truly odd behavior...

i have a folder of some downloaded George Benson files. most are mp3. one is m4a.

the m4a has an embedded artwork. the mp3s don't, they were using the Folder.jpg

i notice the issue, b/c i don't like the m4a artwork in the ML view, (it was only showing for that one file, the others were using the folder based art). i save it as "orig embed.jpg" from the alt+3 dialog and it is there in the folder. i then tell winamp to delete the artwork in the m4a, and winamp warns me it will be permanent, and it can't be undone. i say ok, and winamp reports that it successfully deleted it.

BUT WHAT ACTUALLY happens is my Folder.jpg is deleted, and the embed remains in the m4a!!

totally bizarre. i can repeat it over and over.

what a pita embeds are!
                --

Comment

• MrSinatra
                  Forum King
                  • Dec 2004

i now have another file, this one a mp3, where the embed simply doesn't delete. (mp3tag deletes it np. winamp did allow me to save it to HD)
                  --

Comment

• ryerman
                    Major Dude
                    • Mar 2010

I enjoy Winamp as an audio player. But it is not as robust or powerful when used for tagging.
                    I rarely, if ever, tag my files with Winamp (including ratings) and definitely not for art.
                    But I use a plugin (ActiveWinamp) that allows me to send files to other apps, like Mp3tag.

Howzit....Whatzit...what tha...? How to tune up, and keep your Winamp player humming along. Search this Forum to find others who have driven down your road and have advice and tips to help you out.

Comment

• MrSinatra
                      Forum King
                      • Dec 2004

most of the time winamp tags fine for me, esp txt tags. ratings are also np altho i wish winamp supported half stars. winamp can actually write some mass tag edits quicker than mp3tag.

i don't use embeds so its only a problem when i DL something and come across bizarre issues like this.
                      --

Comment

• Aminifu
                        Forum King
                        • Aug 2011

I only use embedded artwork and images that I embed myself. I thoroughly vet every audio file I download for structural and tag errors and remove any embedded artwork it came with. The few minutes per file this process takes has been time well spent for me. Any file I can't fix, I delete and look for another source of the music.

It took awhile to gather and learn the software tools in my 'toolbox'. That was also time well spent since I now rarely come across an audio file I can't fix relatively quickly.

I used to use other apps for the embedding, but I've been using thinktink's plug-in for Winamp (to add or remove embedded art seen by Winamp's input plug-ins) for a few years now without any issues.

I keep all new files (I create or download) separate from my permanent collection until I've checked them out. Now that I'm retired, I devote a few hours each week to this process. This allows me to enjoy my permanent collection without unexpected file related issues popping up.

It would be nice if Winamp could handle everything (or fix things) on its own, but I don't think I'll live long enough to see that happen.
                        Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
                        Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

Working...
                        X