X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • siebe83
    Forum King
    • Feb 2004

Maybe SqrSoft ACF Disk Writer. It's meant to output crossfaded tracks to one wave file, maybe it can output gapless as well.
    If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.

Comment

• br549
      • Mar 2005

how about pausing in winamp 2.0?

Post 1

Does all the above explain to winamp 2.0? I have the older version, 2.0 and it does pause when the songs over when playing mp3's. can anyone please explain how to stop this? thank you.

Post 2

does the above mean the same for winamp 2.0? i stream with the older version, and there is a pause. i went to direct sound plugin and the metrix of it is diffrent from 5.0 can anyone help? thanx

Post 3

onae more thing, i stream mp3's.

[Edit --> DJ Egg]

Three posts merged into One. Learn to use the Edit button.

/me cba with making a new post

The answer is "No!" We don't support the old bug-ridden 2.x series anymore.
      Winamp 5.x is the direct continuation of where 2.9x left off.
      Performance is exactly the same when run with a classic skin (see installer options for details of all features which can be disabled prior to installation, eg. modern skin support, cd ripping/burning, etc), or just install the 5.x Lite version on top of 2.x instead.

Versions prior to 2.9x did not natively support digital audio extraction (ie. you needed a 3rd-party plugin to get gapless cd playback)
      michael

Comment

• rhys
        • Aug 2005

Well, here's another 'bump', because I'm getting really mad here with Winamp (again!)

Sorry DJ Egg, but all your excellent suggestions have not worked for me when playing (ripped from mix cd) mp3s. I am still getting the gaps, and I've tried ALL your suggestions.

I tried the mp3_splice and in_mad plugins. Worked better - the transition was slightly cleaner, but alas, not 'gapless'. Still noticeable. Still very annoying.

I'm running xp_sp2, AC'97 chipset, winamp 5.094, and needless to say a very competent system.

So what's the deal? I would be VERY grateful if you could spare me just a little more of your time. I can assure you, I'm not a n00b. I'd love gapless mp3 sound! Many thanks

P.S. I was using Winamp 2.0 years ago, and gapless DID manage to work ok then. So what's up with v.5?!?!

Comment

• stabatron5000
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by DJ Egg
          The instructions in my first reply seem simple enough to me, heh :/

If we made Winamp play gaplessly by default, by enabling all gapless settings in the default distro, then we'd only get the reverse response of what we're getting here, eg.
          I'm a n00b and I want my stupid 2 second gap. :[
          Took me about an hour to find this post and follow all the directions, and I still have to re-rip all my stuff because there are gaps fused into them now.

The post previous to your response only asked for an option, not to make everything default.

Comment

• rhys
            • Aug 2005

Still no joy, so I've been looking elsewhere.

foobar2000 has initially been too difficult for a n00b like me to get into.

But I have found a player that does the job handsomely, by NOT using the Direct Sound plugin, which frankly is crap for gapless.

If, like me, you're still having problems, search and download 'XMPlay', you will be pleasantly pleased, straight from the default settings!

No why can't Winamp manage this, huh?!

Comment

• DJ Egg
              Spectral Techorator
              • Jun 2000

Funny how it works for everyone else except you :/

You're obviously doing something wrong,
              and I suggest you read the first post in this thread again.

Playlist | Twitter | Albums

Comment

• rhys
                • Aug 2005

Egg, I'm sure I've saved you the embarassment by not posting my IT credentials.

Funny how XMPlay works OUT OF THE BOX!

Sorry. I've wanted to love Winamp, but without gapless support, how can I?

By the way, I use the MD3 skin on my XMPlay! It doesn't crash now either! lol

Comment

• rhys
                  • Aug 2005

Egg, perhaps I should clarify, in case it helps:

It's not that I'm still getting any 'gap'. It's that Winamp, regardless of any silence correction, soundcard, or buffering settings, does not give the correct transition between MP3 tracks. It always cuts away the start of the next file, and does not join the MP3s at the correct start and end points. These MP3s, might I add, have been encoded using LAME.

I hope this might help, in some way, if only to clarify my particular frustration.

Gap - no. But accurate 'continuous' playback - nowhere near.

Comment

• DJ Egg
                    Spectral Techorator
                    • Jun 2000

Sounds like you've increased the Cut Off value too much.
                    All you need to do is increase "Buffer ahead on track change" slider value and checkmark "Remove silence" (leaving Cut Off value at somewhere between -40 and -35dB). Like I said, it works PERFECTLY for me (and everyone else, afaik) EVERY time! So you MUST be doing something wrong :/

What are your current settings for all three?

ps. xmplay is crud ;-)

Playlist | Twitter | Albums

Comment

• rhys
                      • Aug 2005

Egg - my previous post:
                      Originally posted by rhys
                      It's that Winamp, regardless of any silence correction, soundcard, or buffering settings, does not give the correct transition between MP3 tracks.
                      I appreciate that there's not much else you can suggest here, but c'mon!

Comment

• rhys
                        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by DJ Egg
                        ps. xmplay is crud ;-)
                        Really?

I currently rate the Windows 95 'cdplayer.exe' above Winamp, for obvious reasons! ;-)

Comment

• gaekwad2
                          Foorum King
                          • Jul 2003

Have you tried in_mpg123 yet?

It can read encoder delay and padding tags (if present) just like foobar2000 (and maybe xmplay too?) and therefore produce perfect gapless playback without any output tricks (not with all files though*).

*For old (fhg etc.) encodes Winamp works better than any other player I know!

Comment

• rhys
                            • Aug 2005

Yes I have, and it doesn't help. It reduces the audible 'click' between track changes, but the timing of transition remains incorrect. Why does Winamp do this.

But let me just check, how are you installing it?

Comment

• gaekwad2
                              Foorum King
                              • Jul 2003

By closing Winamp, opening the 7z, going to bin\SSE2*, and unpacking the dll into Winamp\plugins.

Then restart Winamp, go to Preferences > Plug-Ins > Input, select Nullsoft MPEG (...) Audio Decoder, configure, remove (at least) MP3 from its extension list, OK.
                              Select Shibatch mpg123 plugin, configure, check Suppress zero samples at the beginning, OK. Close preferences.

But your timing problem does look more like you've set the cutoff value too high (note: it's a negative value so left=high, right=low), or did you enable crossfading (fading tab: on end of song)?

*choose another one if your CPU doesn't support SSE2

Comment

• rhys
                                • Aug 2005

Thanks for the assistance with 'in_mpg123'. I can confirm that I was installing it correctly, but it's always good to check!

However, the several albums which I'd been using as testing material for all this, I have found are slightly flawed in their encoding.

So I've gone back, hand picked a few albums, encoded them with LAME myself and tested the whole thing again. The results are much better.

Although, I am yet to test this generally with mp3s that have not had the priviledge of being LAME encoded, I hope that this has at least solved part of the problem already.

Many thanks for your help.

P.S. I've uninstalled XMPlay...

Comment

Working...
                                X