X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seyss
    • Dec 2003

Radionomy

Let's see what these Belgians will do to Winamp. Don't fuck it up.
  • DrO
    • Sep 2003

and see if users are going to be bothered enough to update rather than keeping on using old 2.x and 5.x setups when there is no need to... as people using the 'current' version is more likely to help see Winamp development (across all platforms) continue (as otherwise there's no point in having a development team if people aren't using the 'current' versions). just something for people to think about...
    WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

• seyss
      • Dec 2003

You guys should add some auto-update funcionality to Winamp.. Like iPhone auto-update its apps.

Comment

• DrO
        • Sep 2003

and x, y and z should also be done. just give it a while so that a dev team can be sorted out and that other things which need to be put in place can be done to then allow for new releases with appropriate changes.

and there was a basic update system, but when people un-check the option (as it was all about giving users the option of when to update back when that was added), then there's little which can be done and forcing an auto-update is likely not going to be seen as a 'nice' thing even if done with the best of intentions.

Comment

• aaronsnet
          • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by DrO View Post
          and see if users are going to be bothered enough to update rather than keeping on using old 2.x and 5.x setups when there is no need to... as people using the 'current' version is more likely to help see Winamp development (across all platforms) continue (as otherwise there's no point in having a development team if people aren't using the 'current' versions). just something for people to think about...
          I think this will really have to do with what the new Radionomy Winamp version features. If it continues to offer it's core features and builds upon what is already there, I suspect it will grow. If it is a completely different app (ex: Winamp 3), well...we already know what happened with that. Stay true to your roots and what has made so many people love Winamp and I am sure the faithful will continue to return.
          the detour network - detour MUSIC, detour TALK

Purple Zebra Consulting-http://purplezebra.us
          Supporting independent internet radio stations since 2001!

Comment

• DrO
            • Sep 2003

yet other users go as far to demand that the current Winamp needs to be ditched and re-written. so alas the user base is so conflicted on what it wants i.e. want updates but don't want to update, want a re-write but want it all the same as before, want a revolutionary update but don't want anything to change, etc that it's no wonder the desktop gets left by the wayside. but we shall see what happens with time...

Comment

• Aminifu
              Forum King
              • Aug 2011

I would like to see re-writes of those parts of Winamp that are preventing improvements in the playlist editor and media library. In the past, old design decisions was often given as the reason why certain improvements ( e.g. tracking what's playing in the PE in the ML, tabbed PE playlists, etc.) could not be made.
              Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
              Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• MarkRH
                Major Dude
                • Nov 2002

Well, if Radionomy's WinAmp becomes a completely different beast that breaks many plug-ins (one I use is 9 years old), which I suspect a rewrite might cause, hopefully it won't be hard-coded to use the same directories and registry keys that Winamp does now so they can both be on the system at the same time.

It's kind of funny, people want to see updates, yet are resistant to change at the same time (especially when it comes to UI stuff and the breaking of 3rd-party plugins/add-ons, even in things like WordPress). I mean, I use the Windows classic theme in Windows 7 and I can't stand the Windows 8 UI (the desktop part is somewhat usable). But, some parts of Windows 7's UI I actually like and think are an improvement. Probably 1/3 of the extensions I use in Firefox are to restore features and/or undo UI changes that the developers removed/changed.

Anyway, no matter what happens, I'm keeping my current version of Winamp and the plug-ins I use "just in case".
                Mark H.
                System Information | Old Winamp Info | WACUP Info
                Older MIDI input plugin that supports auto loading SoundFonts

Comment

• wxrance
                  • Jan 2014

I for one can't wait to see where the new owners take Winamp. But for those people using older versions i have to wonder if the new owners will ditch those version if they conflict with their plans for the future. I keep hoping to come here and see some news as to whats being done so far. I can't wait for the first update.

Comment

• Victhor
                    Late skinner & Moderator
                    • May 2003

yet other users go as far to demand that the current Winamp needs to be ditched and re-written. so alas the user base is so conflicted on what it wants i.e. want updates but don't want to update, want a re-write but want it all the same as before, want a revolutionary update but don't want anything to change, etc that it's no wonder the desktop gets left by the wayside. but we shall see what happens with time...
                    I guess part the question is what has more value to Radionomy? The old, sacred user base ( = fan of old features and old devices) or a potentially new, and bigger, user base ( = more keen to mobile tech, changes, new features, cloud services, etc)?
                    · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• DrO
                      • Sep 2003

a lot of the old user base are long gone (and the sale notice hasn't helped either) so maybe the time is to do something more radical than being held back by prior limitations. then again a lot of things can be improved with in the existing framework of the player so a middle ground can be found.

but the main thing which is what people judge by is the ui and that is the simplest way to change the look but as is seen with all default skin changes, people freak out despite it being simple to go back to the prior one or select something better to their needs.

and like you note, mobile is the main area for things now than the desktop. so really that's where the focus should be over skinning engine remakes, etc for the desktop (or the better way is making the desktop more applicable to help the usage of the mobile versions).

and whatever I think (as thats all I'm airing), we'll just have to wait and see what the coming months bring with regards to client updates.

Comment

• musicf8
                        Major Dude
                        • Apr 2013

I am excited to see the future and new era of winamp, and very hopeful for the future. I still do believe that Winamp3 had a lot of potential and could have become something great if it had the resources and time, but it was released too early to the public resulting in the backlash.

I know there are a lot of people that love winamp for being able to use old plug-ins, including ones that were written even before XP was released, and some people just hate change period. There really isn't an all win solution.

In my opinion, I think it might be a good idea to split winamp into something like Winamp classic and winamp6 (or whatever the next version name would be). Leave the winamp classic for minor bug fixes for a little while if needed and make the changes and optimization needed for the new winamp. If people complain about being unable to use their favorite visualization plugin written back in 1999 on the new winamp, they can keep using the old/classic version.

Eventually people need to learn to embrace change, since it's the only constant thing in life.

/2cents

Besides that, keep up the great work team!
                        Current Setup: Windows 10 Pro, Sound Blaster Z, Logitech Z-5500, Winamp v5.666.3516

Get wacup

Comment

• rjc862003
                          • Sep 2006

I abandoned winamp ages ago for AiMP3 witch carry's the spirit of win-amp 3x
                          this post is my first login since 2009 that should tell you about the status of what the old schoolers think about winamp
                          it was a good ride but all good things ...

Comment

• DrO
                            • Sep 2003

nothing like someone coming out of the wood work to troll things, well done sir!

Comment

• Aminifu
                              Forum King
                              • Aug 2011

and like you note, mobile is the main area for things now than the desktop. so really that's where the focus should be over skinning engine remakes, etc for the desktop (or the better way is making the desktop more applicable to help the usage of the mobile versions).
                              Ok, mobile is where the money is now. I get that, but Winamp is entertainment software. The bottom line for me is what the ears hear and the eyes see. For audio that means decent D to A converters and decent speakers. For video that means a high definition big screen. I just need Winamp to support the most common digital media formats for output to my home sound and video subsystems and help me manage the files (which it already does very well with a little 3rd party support here and there).

Mobile audio is ok for short periods even allowing for limitations of most ear buds or small speakers and battery run time. But mobile video is a joke. Why ruin your eyesight consuming video on a smart phone (and tablets are not much better) and pay $200+ a month for the privilege?

The desktop should not be neglected or take second place to mobile, imo. Native support for video files and audio/video streaming could be improved. I just hope Winamp is not changed to cater to the lowest common denominator with the overriding goal to only make money for the new owners.
                              Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
                              Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

Working...
                              X