View Single Post
Old 9th December 2010, 07:40   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 114
Depends what country you're in. If you're in the USA, this thread and the RAIN link near the end should be sufficiently depressing. Basically at the hobbyist level the situation is you need to sign up with SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC, each of which will want something like $500 a year, minimum, plus timely reports about what you played and how many listeners you had. If you go through a stream hosting service, they may take care of that for you, so you just pay a simpler fee. Many people choose to violate the law and operate without the proper licensing. I don't know what the consequences are when they get caught, but I imagine it begins with a stern letter with lawyers' names on it, and a bill for much more than what it would've cost if you had paid for the proper licenses.
mjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote