Thread: 3G support
View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2010, 15:42   #4
subliminalurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustodian View Post
your router would need a real and staic IP address,
There are very simple ways around this. Simply set up an account at one of the many free dynamic dns services, and your dynamic ip is, for most purposes, just as good as a static ip.

Quote:
your router and firewall would need to forward ports from Winamp, so that it can be accessed from the internet
While this is a true statement, port forwarding is trivially easy to set up. This isn't a roadblock at all.

Quote:
Also 3G is very slow and expensive if you want to use it for synchronizing music with you PC, and when you do sync, you are at home where you have wifi, so 3G is not needed.
As for 3G being "slow", I would like to point out that I've done a lot of travelling this past year, and probably 75% of the time I tether my laptop to my phone and access the Internet over 3G since it is so much faster than the free "high speed" Internet offered by most hotels. Regarding "expensive", I pay the same amount for my unlimited access every month whether I transfer 5kb, 5mb, or 5gb.

I'm also uncertain why you assume that people would only be interested in syncing when they're at home. With a nearly 200GB music collection, and only about 4GB on my phone available for music, I would LOVE the ability to remove an album from my phone and replace it with another when I'm away from home. (Currently, I handle this by hauling music and movies around on a portable hard drive, but OTA would be much handier.)
subliminalurge is offline   Reply With Quote