X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adrock
    • Apr 2002

Music and Voice

How does one have his listeners hearing the song in the background yet hear the person talking?

Specs:
    Creative Ensoniq
    800 mhz PII
    256MEG
    DSL
  • Tom
    • Apr 2000

One puts his DSP in advance mode and properly configures their mixers.

If you are running <1.8.2 of the SHOUTcast DSP
    Open Winamp > Ctrl + P > DSP/Effect > SHOUTcast Source for Winamp 1.x.x > Configure (in the same box as you selected SHOUTcast Source for Winamp 1.x.x) > Enable Advance Mode

If you are running 1.8.2a or 1.8.2b
    With the DSP open > Input tab > Input Device > Soundcard Input > Mic Input > Microphone

Now for the mixers (all versions of DSP):
    Click the Mixer or Open Mixer button and this should open both the Recording Mixer and the Playback Mixer (you will most likely need to move one of them to see the other).
    In the Recording Mixer select "What U Hear" / "System Mixer" / "Stereo Mixer" (the name on this varies, it may be one or none of those)
    In the Playback Mixer make sure the Microphone is NOT muted.
    When you press the "Talk" button in the DSP the Microphone volume in the Playback Mixer should increase and the Wave volume should decrease. When you let go of the button the volumes should return to their previous settings.

One thing to note about Advanced Mode. Any sounds that you hear WILL be broadcast. This includes AIM notifications, Email Notification and any other sounds you may have going on.

Tom

Comment

• Adrock
      • Apr 2002

Thanks a bunch. I recently heard a DJ useing something that sounded like what crossfader would do over shoutcast!!! is this possible? What program should i use and where should i get it?

Comment

• Tom
        • Apr 2000

If you're in advanced mode then all you need is an output crossfading plugin for Winamp. If you are in normal mode you will need SqrSoft crossfader and then run the SHOUTcast DSP from there or a DSP stacker (not MuchFX though) and a DSP crossfader.

Tom

Comment

• Adrock
          • Apr 2002

One other question, why does when i use the Stereo Mix, the music is really loud and really bad quality..

Comment

• CampersDeath
            • May 2002

I have a little Problem: When I'm pressing Configure for the Shoutcast Source DSP v1.8.2b nothing happens. What can I do?
            I want to change in Advanced Mode

Comment

• Tom
              • Apr 2000

CampersDeath,
              Originally posted by Tom

With the DSP open > Input tab > Input Device > Soundcard Input > Mic Input > Microphone

Adrock,
              I'm not sure exactly what the issue is here, however try adjusting your mixers (whatever you have selected in your recording mixer turn down). In advanced mode you broadcast at the levels set by your mixers not the internal level of the mp3 + preamp/EQ which is used in regular mode. You might have some clipping going on which would mess up the quality but should be taken care of by adjusting the levels of the mixers.

Tom

Comment

• Equenox
                • May 2002

Originally posted by Adrock
                One other question, why does when i use the Stereo Mix, the music is really loud and really bad quality..
                yes i have the same problem :/

when i switch to "what you hear" in the mixer, my liseners have often VERY bad sound (very much bass) and they cant hear my voice even if i press the "push to talk" button

and this happens in mono mode too...

Comment

• Akiboshi
                  • Jun 2002

I'm having trouble mixing the music with the voice on my computer.

I have a USB Microphone and it's listed as "USB Audio Device" in my Audio Properties > Audio Tab > Recording Devices. Since my microphone isn't connected to my sound card in any way I can't select "SB Live! Wave Device" under the recording devices and use the microphone at the same time. The problem is that the Mixer device for the "USB Audio Device" only has 1 voluem setting, Wave In.

I've checked the Options > Properties to see if there were some unchecked settings but found nothing.

Without the other settings all people hear when I use my microphone is my voice and no music at all. Any suggestions? or perhaps there is a way to mix your voice with the music within Winamp using a plugin? Thanks.

Comment

• marcjv1
                    • Jun 2002

Havin trouble still

Well, originally i was told that i needed to use the crossfader to do this, but i just want the simple old way like in dsp <1.8.2 , but i use > 1.8.2 and i had tried what was above but what it did was show -46db nomatter what i did..so i mean i cant figure this out and now i cant get it to stop crossfading at the end of each song, but thats okay, i just really want to talk to my listeners..so if there is anyay i can do this, or if someone has an older DSP version they could send me, greatly appriciated

~Someday DJ Marc

Comment

• Tom
                      • Apr 2000

Re: Havin trouble still

Originally posted by marcjv1
                      Well, originally i was told that i needed to use the crossfader to do this, but i just want the simple old way like in dsp <1.8.2 , but i use > 1.8.2 and i had tried what was above but what it did was show -46db nomatter what i did..so i mean i cant figure this out and now i cant get it to stop crossfading at the end of each song, but thats okay, i just really want to talk to my listeners..so if there is anyay i can do this, or if someone has an older DSP version they could send me, greatly appriciated

~Someday DJ Marc
                      Go through the mixer part again... it sounds like the proper thing is not selected. Also if you want an old version of the DSP use the search and look for 1.8.0, I've posted the link several times and at the moment I'm too lazy to go find it.

Tom

Comment

• VeGeTo2k
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tom
                        One puts his DSP in advance mode and properly configures their mixers.

If you are running <1.8.2 of the SHOUTcast DSP
                        Open Winamp > Ctrl + P > DSP/Effect > SHOUTcast Source for Winamp 1.x.x > Configure (in the same box as you selected SHOUTcast Source for Winamp 1.x.x) > Enable Advance Mode

Now for the mixers (all versions of DSP):
                        Click the Mixer or Open Mixer button and this should open both the Recording Mixer and the Playback Mixer (you will most likely need to move one of them to see the other).
                        In the Recording Mixer select "What U Hear" / "System Mixer" / "Stereo Mixer" (the name on this varies, it may be one or none of those)
                        In the Playback Mixer make sure the Microphone is NOT muted.
                        When you press the "Talk" button in the DSP the Microphone volume in the Playback Mixer should increase and the Wave volume should decrease. When you let go of the button the volumes should return to their previous settings.

One thing to note about Advanced Mode. Any sounds that you hear WILL be broadcast. This includes AIM notifications, Email Notification and any other sounds you may have going on.

Tom

But when I push the Talk Button nothing happens it doesnt increase the Playback Mixer and doesnt decrease the Wave volume but days before its worked pefectly PLZ HELP ME

Comment

• WingZRadio
                          • Jun 2002

Originally posted by VeGeTo2k

But when I push the Talk Button nothing happens it doesnt increase the Playback Mixer and doesnt decrease the Wave volume but days before its worked pefectly PLZ HELP ME
                          Same here.

Comment

• Necroist
                            • Apr 2002

Originally posted by Akiboshi
                            I'm having trouble mixing the music with the voice on my computer.

I have a USB Microphone and it's listed as "USB Audio Device" in my Audio Properties > Audio Tab > Recording Devices. Since my microphone isn't connected to my sound card in any way I can't select "SB Live! Wave Device" under the recording devices and use the microphone at the same time. The problem is that the Mixer device for the "USB Audio Device" only has 1 voluem setting, Wave In.

I've checked the Options > Properties to see if there were some unchecked settings but found nothing.

Without the other settings all people hear when I use my microphone is my voice and no music at all. Any suggestions? or perhaps there is a way to mix your voice with the music within Winamp using a plugin? Thanks.
                            I have the same problem, my Mic Input is set at "Microphone", everything seems perfect, I can't hear my mic until I press the "push to talk" BUT, my listeners, are only hearing what's coming from my mic. They don't get to listen to the music.

I did a test, and tried to try talking on my shoutcast without perssing the Push to Talk, and I can only hear my mic input (ie. my keyboard typing blah blah) and, I can hear myself too.

Can anyone help?

Comment

• Oriox
                              • Sep 2002

I too have this problem. The difference is that mine worked the very first time i did a live show. The show was 7 hours long(i made a party of it) and it worked the whole time. Since then it hasn't worked at all, all the listeners hear is the mic, no bg music. I've been looking for an answer for over a month now and i can't find anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X