• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iomegajaz
    Balled and Chained
    Alumni
    • Jun 2000

Thanks, Ted.

I went by the house of the girl who gave me the TV, to give her and her boyfriend/husband a box of chocolates as thanks for giving the TV.

They promptly gave me another TV.

This one's a 32" Vivid (ALDI home brand) AT-32HD1 which retailed for around $300 when it was new. No remote control (missing), dusty and a bit muddy (from being used in the backyard), and with a severed power cord (the plug had been chewed off by their pet Rottweiler).

A handyman-type friend of my mum's came by the following day (yesterday) while I was at work and connected a plug to the power cord, so now it works. The menu is basically unworkable without a remote control, so I'll need to grab another universal/learning one.

I told the guy that if I keep being handed TVs every time I go to their place, it'll start being weird.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.

Comment

• swingdjted
      DRINK BEER NOW
      (Forum King)
      • Feb 2006

There are lots of easy ways to replace/fix bad power cords. Youtube can walk you through it. Remote controls aren't hard to find. It's just amazing how often one tiny problem makes someone want to toss and replace, and now you have two nearly free TVs. If you ever had an oversupply, they'd make good gifts to college dorm students or others that could use an extra screen somewhere.

Last bought: a scale. It is mostly for cooking large batch stuff and determining shipping weight. My current kitchen scale only measures up to 7 pounds, and I often need more than that when doing large home-canning recipes. For example, I'll often measure 20 pounds of peeled diced tomatoes when making salsa, or 15 pounds of sliced cucumbers when making pickles. Plus it gives me a rather precise number when making my 3-year-old stand on it.

Don't forget to live before you die.

Comment

• iomegajaz
        Balled and Chained
        Alumni
        • Jun 2000

I love a good scale, for some reason.

I meant to mention, regarding the newly acquired 32" TV, that it cleaned up very nicely with only a quick brush and a wipe-down with a wet towel.

Comment

• swingdjted
          DRINK BEER NOW
          (Forum King)
          • Feb 2006

I also got the power cord for the scale sold separately. It seemed expensive to me until my wife told me to compare the price of batteries over the life of the scale to the one-time purchase of the cord and nearly free infrequent wall-outlet juice. My little girl keeps asking to weigh her toys with it. I'm not sure what it is, but a good scale seems like a great thing to have. I think we belong in a mental institution for this.

Comment

• iomegajaz
            Balled and Chained
            Alumni
            • Jun 2000

Have you put some free weights onto it to see how precise it is? That's what I always envision doing with any new scale. As a matter of fact, my kitchen scale goes up to either 2 or 5 kg; I'll put a 2kg dumbbell on it when I get home.

Comment

• iomegajaz
              Balled and Chained
              Alumni
              • Jun 2000

Here's the 46" Sharp in its new home. Hard to visualise the smaller 37" having been in the same space only last week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0088.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	580.3 KB
ID:	4463836

Comment

• swingdjted
                DRINK BEER NOW
                (Forum King)
                • Feb 2006

That's quite a nice fit. for the spot you have. Looks like it's meant to be.

I could bring the scale to the high school where I work and check it out in the weight room. For now, I have seen that it is consistent with the bathroom scale for heavy items and the kitchen scale for light items. I would have just continued using those scales, but boxes cover the readout on the bathroom scale and it's awkward to hold the box and lean around to read the weight of the box plus me and then do the math. It's also a pain to measure food in increments. Plus, the food scale shuts off to save power if I'm cutting and adding and cutting and adding. This new scale can have it's power saver disabled.

Comment

• SSJ4 Gogitta
                  Followed by Gnomes
                  (Forum King)
                  • Dec 2000

Some new stuff since the last post, and some things still inbound and un-photographed:

Japan, Ibaraki Prefecture, 47 Prefectures Series
                  2009, 1000 Yen, 1 Troy Ounce silver

Australia, Wedge-Tailed Eagle
                  2016, One Dollar, 1 Troy Ounce silver

Australia, Lunar Dragon
                  2012, Two Dollars, 2 Troy Ounces silver

Australia, Kookaburra
                  2016, One Dollar, 1 Troy Ounce silver

Republic of Congo, African Lion
                  2016, 5000 Francs, 1 Troy Ounce silver

Canada, Superleaf
                  2016, Eight Dollars, 1.5 Troy Ounces silver

United Kingdom,Britannia
                  2016, Two Pounds, 1 Troy Ounce silver

China, Chinese Panda
                  2016, 10 Yuan, 30 grams (0.9645 Troy Ounce) silver

Rwanda, African Ounce: Antelope
                  2014, 50 Amafaranga, 1 Troy Ounce silver

Rwanda, African Ounce: Meerkat
                  2016, 50 Amafaranga, 1 Troy Ounce silver

2015, Christmas Snowflake, 1 Troy Ounce silver

"Privateer 3" silver round, 2 Troy Ounces silver

And filling some holes in my Dansco 7070 album:

1913 Buffalo Nickel, Type 1

1875-CC Seated Liberty Dime, Carson City mint (my first CC coin)

1920 Pilgrim Commemorative Half Dollar

Comment

• SSJ4 Gogitta
                    Followed by Gnomes
                    (Forum King)
                    • Dec 2000

And adding to my British Monarchs set:

Queen Elizabeth I, 1566, Sixpence

Obverse:
                    ELIZABETH D G ANG FR ET HI REGINA
                    (Elizabeth by the Grace of God Queen of England, France and Ireland)

Reverse:
                    POSVI DEV ADIVTOREM MEV
                    (POSUI DEU ADIUTOREM MEU)
                    (I have made God my helper)

Six more Monarchs and I'll have 21 in a row, from Elizabeth II to Elizabeth I. Two more will get me 16 in a row, down to Charles II. Richard and Oliver Cromwell are going to be nearly impossible to get without going for really crappy coins.

Things I have on the way: 1 ounce silver coin from Ghana that'll rustle some jimmies, an old US Large Cent and silver Half Dollar to fill two more holes in my 7070 album, a $2 bill from 1917 that's gorgeous, and a 1928 $50 bill.

Comment

• TopHat
                      • Jan 2016

meal

Comment

• DJ-Garybaldy
                        Forum King
                        • Sep 2003

A dyson hoover.... Boring i know but needs must.

RadioDJ - Winamp - SAMBC

Comment

• Aminifu
                          Forum King
                          • Aug 2011

A 2000 Lexus GS 300 for $5,000. The previous owner pampered it and it was in excellent condition. Only 110,605 miles on a 15 year old car! Last night I was side swiped by a hit & run driver. Now I have to get the left rear side panel repaired.
                          Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
                          Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• SSJ4 Gogitta
                            Followed by Gnomes
                            (Forum King)
                            • Dec 2000

A few more things came in:

Picked up a $50 bill from 1928, back when we were still on the gold standard. It mentions that it is redeemable in gold.

$2 bill from 1917. Terrible pictures due to the plastic being curved a bit. I need a setup where I can lay a piece of glass on top to flatten it out.

1000 Won from South Korea, from 1950. Serial number 47. This particular issue was printed in Japan.

1960-O Half Dollar. O = New Orleans mint. Filled a hole in my Type Set album.

1863 Indian Head cent. Also filling a hole. Huge die crack on the reverse, and either a small die crack or a die scratch in the "AM" of AMERICA.

Austria Maria Theresa Thaler, 1780X re-strike. They've been re-struck from 14 or more different mints nearly continuously since 1781. Hundreds of millions available. Newer ones are about $20 shipped. They're 83.3% silver, and contain 0.752 troy ounce equivalent of pure silver.

Comment

• fc*uk
                              • Dec 2005

I've got another kid on the way so I had to sell my Infiniti Q60 IPL convertible and get something bigger.

/grumpy/
                              /grumpy/
                              /grumpy/

The Ferrari is going to need to be shelved for about 16 more years
                              Trancectro/electro-house/electro | Are You Hard?

Comment

• iomegajaz
                                Balled and Chained
                                Alumni
                                • Jun 2000

Uh... congrats?

I never understood the social need to congratulate people on becoming pregnant. Hope your spawn doesn't drain the life out of you like a fun-sucking vampire.

Comment

Working...
                                X